NYSE Reviews

206 reviews filtered by
3.2
NYSE President Thomas Farley
Thomas Farley

Pros
  • Compared to the old days, there has been a really great improvement in work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Good benefits and work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is pretty quiet - but that may be because they, like the rest of us have no idea of what is really going on (in 11 reviews)

• After so many mergers, each city and even each department is run completely differently (in 5 reviews)

1. Top dog in the Exchange space that needed to integrate, purchased by a streamlined organization

I worked at NYSE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Resources far beyond most enterprises, and management that cared about both local and global charities

Cons

The management that cared about the employees and charities is no longer with the company.

Invest in the employees, and in the world around you.

2. Consultant at NYSE:Ice

I have been working at NYSE

Pros

Fast paced, challenging environment. Great staff, knowledgeable, helpful and all-around great people to work with.

Cons

Long commute for me and no longer allows telecommuting (except for unusual situations like severe weather conditions).

Reinstate telecommuting as a normal way of business.

3. I didn't hate it

Current Employee - Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at NYSE

Pros

Good atmosphere with some really good people to work with. Good benefits provided when you start. Overall nice office environment.

Cons

The people who were there with seniority seemed to be clique-ish. It seemed like there was no room for professional growth. For a small company it seemed big, not a lot of interaction between departments.

Work on team building and get senior management more involved with all employees. This place could have been awesome if the atmosphere was better.

5. Mergers and acquisitions destroyed what was once a good place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at NYSE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers: friendly, patient, and helpful.
    Decent benefits: Health, dental, eye. 401k and 401k matching up to 6%.

Cons

Poor communication between departments, resulting in unhappy clients and finger-pointing. This was an issue before being acquired that has gotten better since.

Overworked and underpaid employees: the workloads each department carries is exacerbated by the low headcount. New (read: NYSE and now ICE) requirements for hiring new people are inconsistent and seemingly unattainable for certain departments. Watching other departments gain new members while mine consistently lost people was beyond frustrating. Team morale was at an all-time low and while our local manager did the best he could, his hands were ultimately bound by corporate red tape.

Enter ICE. After buying NYSE, they turned their Red Eye of Sauron to our little company with the intent of bleeding us out of every cent we could offer. To maximize profits, they starting cutting programs. Telecommuting? "Poor corporate citizenship". Sponsored Happy Hours? "Poor corporate citizenship". Health programs like on-site massages and yoga? "Poor corporate citizenship".

What's ICE's culture, you ask? Rounding up our salaries to the nearest whole thousand and holding our bonuses hostage in company stock that matures in 3 years. Expect to work long hours with a smile on your face. Expect end-of-day meeting invites so you've had an "opportunity to work a full day". Expect to be condescended to and have your departmental needs overlooked by a myopic and unsympathetic IT department, and upper management.

Nepotism is a huge issue in upper management; who you know is more important than what you do or contribute. Don't expect to be recognized for your achievements in any way other than e-mail.

The future of the business is uncertain as upper management tries to put together a game plan for the next year.

Listen to your employees' concerns: we're the people who are in the mud day to day, so ignoring our valuable insight is a great way to lose the trust and motivation of the people who work for you. Treat "transparency" as more than a buzzword. Reward your best employees with something other than complete indifference. Honor a good balance of work and life. Not every one is willing to spend 50+ hours at the office every week without being compensated or even acknowledged.

6. Finance controller

Former Employee - Finance Controller in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Finance Controller in New York, NY

I worked at NYSE

Pros

Some departments allow telecommuting
    Brilliant colleagues

Cons

A lot of restructuring led to low morale

Promote from within

7. NYSE Review

Former Employee - Network Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at NYSE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

NYSE now ICE is a Great place to work. The company has great benefits and the work environment is pleasant and flexible.

Cons

Company was acquired by ICE beginning of 2014. The environment was not challenging enough. Company not keeping up with new technologies.

l

8. It was a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NYSE full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company was very open-minded on how to be the best. If you had a good idea, could back it up they gave you the reins and budget to try it. While every place has politics, for the most part, it was not tolerated. And good people progressed in the company. Management truly tried to keep everyone, at all levels, focused on the company's objectives and informed on developments

Cons

The company has been acquired and is now very different. Most of the former management is gone.

9. Change in the works

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at NYSE

Pros

Good pay, benefits are still ok.

Cons

Change and future is stressful.

Stay open and informative

10. Merge changes everything

I have been working at NYSE full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Nice ppl to work with

Cons

Lots of layoffs
    Less advancement opportunity due to flat org structure

11. good place to start career

Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at NYSE full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great connections within financial industry, good benefits

Cons

limited upward mobility, limited salary flexibility

focus on rewarding talent, not seniority

NYSE Photos