NYU Langone Medical Center

NYU Langone Medical Center Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

NYU Langone Medical Center Dean & CEO Robert I. Grossman

Robert I. Grossman

Pros
  • People are nice and friendly to work with(in 7 reviews)

• Great benefits- starts with 4 week vacation, great dental and health care options(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • poor pay relative to cost of living and limited space(in 5 reviews)

• Management and senior management don't appear to be that competent(in 4 reviews)

Stable work environment with little opportunity for advancement.

Registered Nurse, SSN (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsCompetitive salary, 4 weeks vacation, 5 weeks after 5 years, good insurance, 3 day work weeks if working 12 hour shifts.

ConsVery difficult to advance to a higher position without going back to school. There seems to be a separation between floor nurses and upper management.

Dog eat dog culture

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat 403b and vacation benefits. There are some really quality people who make up for a lot of deficiencies in management.

ConsHard work isn't rewarded. Management is out of touch with expectations and provide little leadership. Most of the leadership is not approachable and probably would prefer not to be approached any way to improve the environment.

Good culture but bad for long-term research staff

Assistant Research Scientist (With An MS Degree) (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsPeople are nice. Good benefits such as 22 vacation days and 403K, but you don't get paid enough to go on a vacation or put any money into the retirement account if you are a researcher. For IT and others, during the 12 years I spent at NYU, I've seen people go elsewhere and come back again saying that NYU was much better working environment.

ConsNot really the insituttion's fault. But if you are a research staffer that gets paid from an NIH grant, you don't get paid enough for the cost of living. It's alright for those who are just starting out and want the name of the well known instiatuion on their resumes, but unless you get a faculty position, this is not a place to stay for a long time. Even though those in research get paid very little, since it is in NYC, the institution seems to have no shortage of people who want to come and work from outside the country, therefore, no incentive to do anything about it either.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot sure what they can do about it unless the NIH policy changes.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent Pay

Admitting Representative (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsDecent pay for the work. Not too stressful.

ConsLack of advancement opportunities. Raises don't seem reflective of quality of work.

Great place for research

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNYU has a strong team of researchers that you can tap into while researching there... excellent facilities... the labs are top of the notch and there's always improvements

ConsThe commute is a bit annoying. The nearest train station is about 10 blocks away. You do have the option of taking a bus across.

Very unorganized

Project Coordinator (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat HR
    Many benefits and employee perks

ConsAfter HR very disorganized place to work

Research Assistant

Research Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsSuper friendly and the PI was accessible, making it easy for me to get more involved in the research. I loved working with all of the other research assistants, and they made me feel really welcome to the team.

ConsThe HR process was kind of slow and not very organized. They respond rather slowly to email.

Exciting place to work for IT professionals.

Senior IT Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe hospital and school leadership are some of the smartest people I have worked with. The clinical staff is dedicated to quality patient care. The SOM has developed some unique technology to enable virtual learning and collaboration.

ConsIT Management has implemented a culture of blame. System failures are investigated to find out who is to blame. In a misguided attempt to portray themselves as tough no-nonsense leaders IT management will discipline individuals for human error. This behavior has a devastating effect on morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementHumans make errors. This is well understood on the clinical side and addressed without blaming the individual. Errors are reported and studied. The environment or process is adjusted so that normal, to-be-expected errors can't create severe adverse events.

IT management should take the same approach. Morale will improve, outcomes will improve and it's the right thing to do.

Not bad as a job, but not promising for future career

Research Scientist (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood benefit. Tuition remission. 6 week vacation per year. Working time is very flexible and work from home is possible. Chances to involve some cutting-edge research projects and get some publications.

ConsAlmost no room for promotion. Career pathway is not very clear. No bonus. Management is OK but bureaucracy can be often observed.

Revenue cycle

ProsRoom for growth and advancement

ConsManagement resistant to change and new processes

Worked for NYU Langone Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!