NYU Langone Medical Center

Updated January 19, 2015
3.4

NYU Langone Medical Center Dean & CEO Robert I. Grossman
Robert I. Grossman

Pros
  • The organization offers excellent work/life balance and great benefits (in 15 reviews)

• Benefits, You can have a good work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • But if you are a research staffer that gets paid from an NIH grant, you don't get paid enough for the cost of living (in 5 reviews)

• Low pay compared to cost of living (but manageable) and time off ( sick leave, maternity leave, vacation time, etc (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Pleasant

I have been working at NYU Langone Medical Center full-time

Pros

Strong scientific community, supportive, many professional development programs available

Cons

Politics, nepotism, expensive, favoritism, red-tape,

Excellent in some aspects, needs improvement in others

I have been working at NYU Langone Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging, fast-paced environment. Smart, innovative co-workers. Excellent clinical staff who are passionate about patient care.

Cons

Senior leadership can seem disconnected from staff. Rapid, aggressive growth is causing many changes, not all for the better.

Communicate more with staff.

Good place to work

I have been working at NYU Langone Medical Center

Pros

Benefits are good and work life balance is great

Cons

Compensation should be higher for certain positions.

Program Coordinator

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at NYU Langone Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good compensation and friendly culture. PTO is OK.

Cons

No diversity for people of color in senior management role. If your African-American, seeking a leadership role; you only will be considered for Administrative support roles (Admin, finance rep, customer service). Communication between staff and leadership is a problem. HR supports leadership over employees all the time. If you have a complaint, learn to live with it. HR is mostly figureheads who hire only from the NYU graduate schools. If you get an interview, your satisfying HR's monthly quota of hire, not because your qualified. If your international physician, you had to have studied in UK for any consideration.

For over 10 years, I didn't miss work, took less vacations, good to my co-workers, carried out all job responsibilities and assisted others on theirs. And they still fired me. You can't win here. If anyone speaks ill about you and they happen to know somebody of importance, your sunk. No advice to management, other than to quit now before you assimilate into their drone.

Good benefits

I have been working at NYU Langone Medical Center

Pros

Working in a corporate healthcare environment is always nice as far as benefits are concerned. The hospital has implemented many new systems that have contributed greatly to its successes and the revenue is growing at a rapid rate.

Cons

The salary is not as high as other facilities in the area

Consultant IT Programmer

Former Employee - IT Consultant/Computer Programmer Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - IT Consultant/Computer Programmer Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at NYU Langone Medical Center as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone in the group was highly knowledgeable within their area of expertise. The work itself was very interesting and challenging as well. However, there were often breakdowns in communication between the business and the technical sides.

Cons

Very demanding schedule from day one. The scope proposed by the business was not realistic. The problems (miscommunication between both groups and certain individuals) grew rapidly over time - and as a result, new outside consultants were hired - in an attempt to reorganize the management of the project. This disruptive change had further adverse affects on the project (in my opinion).

Everyone in a group must work to establish a good level of mutual respect and trust with the others. If this is not achieved, the work will suffer due to time and budget overruns, as well as the overall decline of morale.

Challenging Place

I worked at NYU Langone Medical Center

Pros

NYULMC has an inspiring vision to be the best hospital in NYC, and to provide excellent care to the patients and families who come here.

Cons

The Development office is in transition after more than a year of new leadership with shifting priorities and no clear direction. Poor communication, backroom conversations, and lack of information sharing make this a challenging environment. Lack of teamwork affects morale.

Share information and communicate more.

Research Volunteer

I worked at NYU Langone Medical Center

Pros

Great, supportive environment undergoing tons of interesting investigative research.

Cons

I would have liked more direct patient interaction and less data entry

Satisfactory

Current Employee - Research Technician in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Technician in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU Langone Medical Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, pleasant to work with people here, nice work environment. A great place for growth in my future career

Cons

Long hours, requiring working overtime hours often. some benefits only apply after 1 year of wokring here, and I am not planning on working here for more than one year.

Benefits should apply immediately when beginning to work here.

Top notch

I have been working at NYU Langone Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is competitive for Manhattan.

Cons

Requirements for rotation can be a bit exhausting.

NYU Langone Medical Center Photos