NYU Langone Medical Center Reviews

252 reviews filtered by
3.4
NYU Langone Medical Center Dean & CEO Robert I. Grossman
Robert I. Grossman

Pros
  • The organization offers excellent work/life balance and great benefits (in 15 reviews)

• Benefits, You can have a good work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • But if you are a research staffer that gets paid from an NIH grant, you don't get paid enough for the cost of living (in 5 reviews)

• Low pay compared to cost of living (but manageable) and time off ( sick leave, maternity leave, vacation time, etc (in 4 reviews)

1. Worked for 10plus years

I worked at NYU Langone Medical Center

Pros

Great place with wonderful benefits

Cons

If one is a researcher and balancing family life one has to have an understanding Boss

2. No good HR structure

I have been working at NYU Langone Medical Center

Pros

Great scientific community and resources

Cons

Long hours without great compensation

3. NYU

I have been working at NYU Langone Medical Center

Pros

Coworkers, fun place, vacation time, retirement benefits, and health insurance

Cons

Commute can be a bit long depending on where you live.
    Raises are usually only 3%.

It depends. if you have dreams....

Former Employee - Administrative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative in New York, NY

I worked at NYU Langone Medical Center

Pros

I worked at NYU Medical Center for several years having various jobs in administrative roles. I started with a really low salary considering cost of living in New York City, my education and background, and experience, BUT I did stay for the great benefits until I got a better position elsewhere. I had three different positions, each one a sort of promotion from the last. I rose up pretty quickly. If you are intelligent and hard working, you can do it. It's not difficult. Salary rose with each position.

Cons

Where to start? I worked on the administrative side, so this has nothing to do with clinical or research. I also want to stress that I did not have have any issues with any doctors while working here, only the administrative side! 1) I hated the cliques; the gossip; the fact that it's all educated middle aged women with children who stayed there for the benefits (and I am aware of the hypocrisy of this statement, as a woman, but just thinking about hospital administration brings me back to the person that I was and don't want to be.). The workers could have done something else, could have followed their dreams, but chose not to. I didn't hate the people in general, I hated that they were all miserable there, and took it out on each other, which made everyone even more miserable. It seemed like they were all out to get each other for some reason. Shouldn't we all work together?! They were happy with salary and benefits, but it was just an unpleasant work culture. This isn't a dream job or a career, this is a paycheck until retirement. No administrative job is a career, unless you are really high up on the totem pole. Yet none of the people I worked with strived to get to the top, they strived to get to 5pm... 2) I did the job of my supervisor in all three jobs. As a supervisor now, I understand the difficulties in a supervisory role (too much work, ability to delegate, being approachable, etc..), but this was a bit ridiculous. I know exactly what each of my supervisors were supposed to do because I did all of their work on top of my own work. Instead, knowing that they have an assistant, they took 3 hour lunches, dumped work on me, and expected me to stay late while they left early. You can either manage or you can't, and these three could obviously not. It got to the point that when I left, the person who had taken my last position at NYU contacted me asking if it was just them, of if the supervisor actually didn't do their job. They stay in easy managerial roles for years, knowing that they probably won't get fired. NYU doesn't fire incompetent people (con #4), meanwhile losing competent assistants every 6-8 months, who have gotten much better and much more interesting jobs elsewhere (i.e. left to follow their dreams, like I did). Not all of the managers are this way, there are wonderful ones! Just the ones that I directly worked with were incapable of doing their jobs. But, the fact that I had all three of my mangers be this way, statistically says to me that there are more bad managers than good ones. One manager actually said to me that she is "not a micro-manager", but, then, was given a task by her manager, handed it to me, and just sat over my shoulder by my desk and commented while I completed the task. This was all day every day that I worked in that position. 3) Is this really anyone's dream job? No, this really is a paycheck with benefits. It's paperwork, answering phones, and making sure you smile 8 hours a day doing mindless tasks. It's important work. Seriously and sarcastically. Without hospital administration there would be no hospitals (i.e. credentialing and licensing is key to even having a doctor see patients; organizing lectures and other events helps educate doctors more and advance in their fields; and having an administrative buffer basically leaves doctors alone to do their jobs, which is patient care or research to advance patient care!) It's easy work if you are competent, as I feel most (NOT ALL) are. There are people that do this, and do this well and put in 1000%, realizing how important it is. Being surrounded by people like that is encouraging and makes work worthwhile. However, most people at NYU are not like that. This job was not for me. I left for graduate school several years ago and have never looked back!

I think I said all that I need to say about management in the Cons section.

6. Good company

Current Employee - Student Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Student Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU Langone Medical Center

Pros

Young staff, flexible hours, not horrible pay for the amount of work I put in

Cons

not too many, it's a good place to work part-time as a student. a little annoying that you can't get email from your phone.

7. Good place to be a student

Current Employee - Research Student in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Student in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU Langone Medical Center

Pros

Close research group who help each other out. Young, interested pre-professionals.

Cons

Not always best at communicating schedules, can't get company email on phone.

8. ultrasound technologist ARDMS OB/GYN - 8 yars

Current Employee - Ultrasound Technologist OB/GYN in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Ultrasound Technologist OB/GYN in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU Langone Medical Center full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I love what I am doing

Cons

MFM high risk pregnancy CVS amniocentesis

9. Best PACU job

Current Contractor - Registered Nurse PACU in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Registered Nurse PACU in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU Langone Medical Center as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent environment of care, great management, wonderful co-workers.

Cons

None that I can think of.

I am impressed with the management team.

10. Business Side is Not a Nice Place to Work

Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at NYU Langone Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is very good for a hospital. Pretty spacious (for NY) offices on Park Ave. Decent benefits. Good NYSC discount. Name recognition. Easy hours.

Cons

Weirdly competitive environment. Directors can be petty and inappropriate. Mistakes are not tolerated (which causes staff to be cautious to the point of not taking initiative). Directors will occasionally yell at employees in front of others. 'Thank you's are rare. Culture of critical feedback with no positive reinforcement. Supervisors are afraid of directors and will not look out for their employees. No growth path. Management actively seeks ways to make you feel you could be fired at any time (but will then be devastated when you quit). If you are looking for a job where you can learn and grow, explore and have your good work rewarded (or even just a job where you can take pride in your work and not be made to cry), this is not it.

When you have directors with multiple HR complaints, look into it. Set up a 360 feedback system. Take notice when one department has constant turnover. You are missing out on a lot of good analyses because employees are afraid of having their voluntary work criticized.

11. Program Associate

I worked at NYU Langone Medical Center

Pros

flexible schedule, patients were incredible

Cons

I had an overall positive experience

NYU Langone Medical Center Photos