NYU Langone Medical Center

Updated November 17, 2014
3.4

NYU Langone Medical Center Dean & CEO Robert I. Grossman
Robert I. Grossman

Pros
  • The organization offers excellent work/life balance and great benefits (in 14 reviews)

• Big organization, good benefits (vacation and health) (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • But if you are a research staffer that gets paid from an NIH grant, you don't get paid enough for the cost of living (in 5 reviews)

• Low pay compared to cost of living (but manageable) and time off ( sick leave, maternity leave, vacation time, etc (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

So far so good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU Langone Medical Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly, hard working coworkers make my job so much more satisfying. I work the 8-4 shift. It's a huge difference from the 9-6 schedule I've been used to most of my career. NYU makes has excellent benefits and they make you feel like you're a part of the evolution of the department.

Cons

Even though coworkers are knowledgeable and friendly, they sometimes do not work well together. Doctors and staff with big egos make it difficult to suggest areas for improvement.

Check your ego and work with your team. Everyone will benefit if they keep an open mind.

Great place to work and grow a career

I have been working at NYU Langone Medical Center full-time

Pros

There are ample opportunities for training. There are always educational activities to take advantage of, if time allows.

Cons

The con is that there are too many opportunities to take advantage of, while working very hard at your job. At times I have felt taken advantage of and under appreciated (specifically regarding salary).

It was fun

I have been working at NYU Langone Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very good company to work for ! had a very good time there

Cons

To much politics sometimes, keep of what you have and don't always change / Like every 6 months

Project Coordinator

I have been working at NYU Langone Medical Center

Pros

I like my boss she is nice

Cons

We do not get summer fridays

Great company and atmosphere mostly

Former Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY

I worked at NYU Langone Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked as a research associate although my first title was project assistant when I started. My entire team and I got promoted after 2 years because of structural changes they made to the project, Other than being forced to "promote" us there isn't much opportunity for growth or movement as an RA in general. Overall, decent starting salary for someone who was a recent college grad and great time-off policies... although my actual supervisor preferred for us only to take off during certain times of the year.

Cons

The company values are strong and ultimately heading in the right direction. You get the sense of everyone working towards a common goal and they have a very team driven atmosphere. The benefits are again pretty solid and very good. The leadership tends to be a little prickly but ultimately you don't have to deal with them directly unless its at functions, etc.

Lab Tech

I have been working at NYU Langone Medical Center

Pros

Laid back environment. Good for science students right out of college to help with experience before graduate school. Awesome time off and a very low stress environment.

Cons

No upward mobility. Some tasks are menial and discouraging.

business office associate

Current Employee - Business Office Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Office Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU Langone Medical Center full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, vacation reaches 4 weeks after 5 years, list of insurances to choose from

Cons

disciplinary action is frequent and enforced regardless of efforts, system issues that are addressed are not fixed by upper management and cause additional issues with processes, job stability depends on job function and workload, very bureaucratic environment

Okay to gain experience

Current Employee - Program Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Program Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU Langone Medical Center full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great academic environment
    Great benefits package

Cons

Medical doctor focused environment, lack of respect for anyone without MD
    Difficult administration, each department very segregated making interdisciplinarity work difficult

The office culture is very physician focused, while much of the work is done by the staff. More support and less 'paperwork'

Great working environment with excellent work/life balance.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU Langone Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The organization offers excellent work/life balance and great benefits. My team was extremely supportive of allowing me to pursue an advanced degree while working full time.

Cons

Research teams function almost as silos. While there is some opportunity to interact with members of other departments, this process is not necessarily facilitated by day to day operations. Growing within the organization is also a cumbersome process.

Undergrad Resercher

I have been working at NYU Langone Medical Center

Pros

Great exposure to bench research techniques

Cons

Not structured internship, had to learn a lot on my own

NYU Langone Medical Center Photos