NYU Langone Medical Center

Updated September 28, 2014
3.4

NYU Langone Medical Center Dean & CEO Robert I. Grossman
Robert I. Grossman

Pros
  • Big organization, good benefits (vacation and health) (in 14 reviews)

• The organization offers excellent work/life balance and great benefits (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • But if you are a research staffer that gets paid from an NIH grant, you don't get paid enough for the cost of living (in 5 reviews)

• Lack of communication between management and subordinates (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great starting position

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU Langone Medical Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

The compensation is pretty typical for the position. It is a great position if you are looking to apply to grad school and need a gap year position.

Cons

Can be demanding time wise, for you will need to make deadlines fro grant submittal.

Dietetic Internship

Former Employee - Dietetic Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Dietetic Intern in New York, NY

I worked at NYU Langone Medical Center as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The pros to doing dietetic internship at NYU Langone medical center is that it is one of the top learning hospitals in the country. NYU also focuses on patient care and you really get a diverse group of patients to work with during rotations. It is a clean, safe environment and located in a good neighborhood.

Cons

As with any internship, all preceptors are not created equal and you have to take the good with the bad. Most preceptors were full of knowledge, very helpful, and professional. However, the one or two that were not helpful were so bad that they overshadowed a lot of the good. This experience proved that interpersonal relationships in a work environment are very important.

Management is always working hard to improve and to strive for the best care. I thought upper management did a great job. They were always professional in any interaction that I had with them.

Administrative

Current Employee - FGP Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - FGP Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU Langone Medical Center full-time for less than a year

Pros

Can't think if any no tuition reimbursement only tuition remission so if you are already enrolled in school you are out of luck!

Cons

Slavish employee policy employee have to remain in a position for a year before transfer or advancement. Limited room to grow no consideration for qualification. The grass not really green here!

Review benefits policy that way it would seem NYUMC is more people oriented. Money is important to keep the organization afloat but that should be complimented with a good and happy workforce.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disjointed management and divided place of work

Former Employee - Research Data Associate  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Research Data Associate in New York, NY

I worked at NYU Langone Medical Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good location in NYC and good benefits,

Cons

Salary isnt competitive if you work in research, managers are not able to communicate problems upward and help improve things, cultural divides in the workplace make for a cliquier than normal workplace that isnt very comfortable.

Get to know your workers and communicate long term goals down, need more transparency

Many years ago I met and married the love of my life. Two beautiful children were born there.

Former Employee - Office Support  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Office Support in New York, NY

I worked at NYU Langone Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Aside from the close-knit unit in the department I worked at, working here showed me that I needed to pursue a career in a new field.

Cons

Management could use a re-vamp. Employees could like they are more valued - at least from my department. Also, the brown-noses seem to get brownie-points such as a pat on the head from the higher-ups. But that's about it.

Again, Management could use a re-vamp. They should value the employees that do all the leg-work in order to make the Department run smoothly, rather than making it a punitive environment.

Good employees, terrible leadership

I worked at NYU Langone Medical Center

Pros

Dedicated physicians, great patients, good employees

Cons

Unsupportive management, siloed environment, questionable leaders

Met and married the love of my life there years ago; our beautiful children were born here.

I have been working at NYU Langone Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Had made some good friends throughout the hospital. The doctor who delivered our babies were phenomenal!

Cons

Not very easy to advance or get promotions. It is more like who does the most brown-nosing...

Take time to care more about your employees. Listen to their concerns and try to resolve them as they come up. Employees should not fear retaliation.

Talented people, snotty attitudes

I worked at NYU Langone Medical Center

Pros

- Surrounded by talent and great leadership

Cons

- Attitude is everything. Sense of entitlement and privilege in middle managers.

- Get off your high horse.

MRI

I have been working at NYU Langone Medical Center

Pros

Most people are willing to help you, changes are always being made to protocols because of new and exciting technology and advances in MRI sequences. There are monthly educational meetings.

Cons

There is open favoritism. The overall atmosphere of the place is drab. The department functions as a factory and there isn't enough consideration for the patient. Employees are overworked because the department is generally understaffed. Management is out of touch and you have to find your own coverage sometimes for planned time off. The place is very disorganized with too many type A personalities that don't know when to back down.

Good working environment

Current Employee - Graduate Student  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU Langone Medical Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place to learn. Smart people, excellent colleagues.

Cons

As a graduate student in a NYC research university, NYU Langone pay is not competitive.

Graduate students are fleeing the academia to go to other paths given the harsh funding environment.

NYU Langone Medical Center Photos

Worked for NYU Langone Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!