NYU (New York University)

www.nyu.edu
  www.nyu.edu

NYU (New York University) Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated November 19, 2014
Updated November 19, 2014
4.0

NYU (New York University) President John E. Sexton
John E. Sexton

Pros
  • Understanding Management, Good work/life balance, good benefits (in 22 reviews)

• Tuition remission employees and spouses can earn a degree for almost no money (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for advancement unless you are favored (in 7 reviews)

• The pay was really, really low, so unless you're taking advantage of tuition remission, it's just a low-paying job (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

292 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU (New York University) part-time (more than an year)

Pros

nice work environment. pays in time. Its a privilege working in a great school NYU.

Cons

i didn't have any negative opinions on NYU

Love it!!!!

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU (New York University) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Best place to learn,grow, train ever!!!!!!

Cons

a lot of inter-office politics

Research Assistant at School of Engineering

Former Employee - Assistant Research Scientist in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Research Scientist in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at NYU (New York University) part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some valuable laboratory experience, ran trials and experiments, made chemicals

Cons

Not enough guidance. Disorganized research professor/team/facility.

I'm the type of person that needs instruction and more guidance and supervision, which I had none of.

The best paid job you can get

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU (New York University) part-time (more than an year)

Pros

As it says,
    This is the job where you get 20 bucks an hour as a graduate teaching assistant. Most other jobs in the univ offer around 10 bucks.
    Being a graduate assistant, you also get to learn a lot since you have to be prepared to help the undergrad students with their education.

Cons

They overwork you at times.
    It isn't a permanent job. You can only work during the fall and spring semesters.

great community

Current Employee - Clinical Instructor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Clinical Instructor in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU (New York University) as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

great community with great leadership

Cons

getting to location. short lunch break

The feeling of the city

Current Employee - Junior Research Scientist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Junior Research Scientist in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU (New York University) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a great place to work, many talks and many people to meet. Perfect place in Manhattan!!!

Cons

You either spend all your salary on housing or you spend all your time on commuting. However, read tons of book on subway =)

Good environment for a physics teaching adjunct

Current Employee - Teaching Adjunct in New City, NY
    Current Employee - Teaching Adjunct in New City, NY

I have been working at NYU (New York University) part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The rooms are large and well equipped. The equipment is modern and the lab staff is well prepared, handy and helpful. The website interface is intuitive. Organizing a class using the web tools is very easy and spares a lot of time. The University organizes events regularly to connect its faculty members. There is a lot of freedom in organizing the work and the classes.

Cons

Being an expensive school, often its students associate paying a lot with getting good grades. As a result, they sometimes cannot accept bad grades as a feedback on the quality of their work and they might expect good grades regardless to the amount of efforts they put in the classes.

Research Scientist

Current Employee - Research Scientist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU (New York University) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The faculty and administration at NYU truly are driven by research so working in research at the University has been a pleasure. The focus is on acquiring massive grants, conducting top-level research, and producing quality papers.
    From my experience, Principal Investigators have been willing to provide training while allowing green researcher and research assistants to learn on the job.
    And leadership opportunities are always present.

Cons

The quality of research papers is indeed high, but the desired quantity is also quite high. Given this, the quality is sometimes somewhat sacrificed so that additional research projects can be pushed through rapidly.
    Also, with a strong focus on research, I have noticed that, for some professors, students and classes are secondary because those professors are primarily researchers who have to teach classes so that they are able to continue conducting their research. It is a trade off with which any college/ university constantly struggles.
    Additionally, working in such a large university becomes difficult when collaboration between separate departments is required. Different technological systems in addition to varying schedules and course point systems create constant issues. Unfortunately, NYU is a very decentralized university due to its size. There is simply no way for the entire university to be run by one group and work on the same schedule and through the same technological systems. Different departments have to be separated and run as separate colleges for the overall university to keep moving. The sacrifice is a lack of cohesiveness among those separated departments. Often times, one hand does not know what the other is doing and that creates logistical and administrative issues.

The decentralization of such a large university is an obvious necessity that NYU has championed. Each department is practically a college within itself. Unfortunately, one hand often times does not know what the other is doing and that creates issues.
    My advice would be to take a good look at the operations of all aspects of each department and the overall university and streamline the systems and eliminate the redundancies because there are A LOT of them.
    In addition to redundancies, there are also several holes so it would also be helpful to strictly define what each employee's job description is. There have been countless times when someone would say, "that's not my job to do that," but they were not able to tell me whose job it was and no one else could figure it out either.
    Other than that, I have enjoyed working at NYU.

Working at New York University

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU (New York University) part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love my coworkers. Training is decent. Your work-life balance will depend upon who your managers are.

Cons

Your work-life balance will depend upon who your managers are. I work in an office with a very top-down management style. It can be very corporate and very anxious.

Increase salary, and hire more secure, less anxious managers.

Amazing

Former Employee - Shop Staff in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Shop Staff in New York, NY

I worked at NYU (New York University) part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I encourage you to work on campus while studying.

Cons

Really none. It is a 100% good idea to work while you study.

Students are stressed out.

NYU (New York University) Photos