NYU (New York University)
www.nyu.edu New York, NY 5000+ Employees

NYU (New York University) Reviews in New York, NY

Updated Jul 8, 2014

NYU (New York University) President John E. Sexton

John E. Sexton

238 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good for people who wants studying for less and pay less

Senior Position (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Pros20% tuition if you are admitted to one of school. 2 to 1 matching in retirement fund up to 5%. Job stability.

ConsMany people complain that it is harder if you are am employee or family member of an employee. No advancement. Chaotic management. Wasteful spending.

Advice to Senior ManagementAssign right job to right people. Invest more on hard working employee instead of paying two and even three to contractor doing less than own employee since they only do one job. Have better planning. This eliminate wasteful spending. The author eel sorry for tuition paying students.

Great Institution to work for. President Sexton is AWESOME... Higher Learning at it finest. GLOCAL ON THE SQUARE

MEDIA TECH (Senior) (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat place to learn, grow & become a productive member of society while getting paid to do something you love. (If you're that type of person) (knowledge everywhere)

ConsA few rotten apples but 90% are dedicated & focused professional.
    If you just want just $$$ you will be miserable...

Advice to Senior ManagementClean up your garden, so all the roses can blossom.

Experience depends on where you work

Research Associate (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsNYU as a whole is fairly decentralized, and things are run differently by different schools (Steinhardt, Tisch, etc.). I think your experience depends a lot on what school you are a part of and your individual department. I have had a great experience working for Steinhardt. I am encouraged to challenge myself and develop professionally, and the people I work with are great. I feel like the people I work for see me as a person and not just a warm body at a desk. The neighborhood is great and very accessible to transit, restaurants, and city life.

ConsThe salary is low compared to similar jobs. Even after negotiating, this position was a 15% pay cut from my last job. Also, working for a large organization can be frustrating at times because of bureaucracy - but in general the red tape at NYU is not as bad as other organizations. NYU could stand to invest more in its facilities and work spaces. In my office, most people have analog phones (yes, analog!) and IT put up a fight when we wanted computer upgrades. Students are paying over $60k a year to attend this school and employees can't even get a phone with caller ID.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlign salaries with market rates, invest in facilities

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It is a good experience to work and study here

Graduate Assistant (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe position of campus is good. It is in Lower Manhattan.

ConsThe salary is not high. If you are a student, but you want to work in CPT, you should also pay some credits to the university.

Going global with a great respect for diversity of talent & ideas

Human Resources Administrator (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsOpportunities for learning are everywhere for a young college grad & young professional. NYU tuition at a fraction of the cost/nearly free? Yes please! Winter break is also definitely a great perk. Starting salaries are reasonable; starting on, it was the highest I even considered applying for, and I only got it because I had an in from working with them in the past as a student. Innovation is encouraged.

ConsYour work-life balance can get thrown for a loop if you let it. There is a definite cap for some roles, and growth is often attained by leaving as opposed to staying straight through.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn order to retain the people you are training, you really need to work on growing people's roles. I have seen people leave for other jobs most often immediately after getting that degree than any other time, excluding retirement.

Mostly good, but could definitely be better

Research Fellow (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsNYU is a great, progressive school and it does feel rewarding working among competent, intelligent colleagues who are committed to furthering knowledge and research in their respective fields.

ConsThere is a lot of red tape and bureaucracy to wade through. HR doesn't particularly care about staff morale and the environment can often be negative.

It is full of opportunity

Research Assistant (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsLocation is good.The begin of the fifth ave and close to SOHO. And you have a lot of chance to take some classes you like.

ConsThe housing and living expense is high. Maybe it is always like that in big cities. The competition is really fierce. You have to be ready all the time.

Junior Administrator

Mid-level Administrator (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Prostuition benefit, good healthcare, positive work environment

Constax on benefits, expensive to live in the area, sometimes individuals are underpaid, political structure is tense between departments

Advice to Senior Managementfoster team building outside of work

Stable employment, but uninspiring

Assistant Research Scientist (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat co-workers and hours are reasonable

ConsLittle room for growth or creativity

Advice to Senior ManagementValue employees

Frustrating though entertaining.

Rock Wall Attendant (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsI had wonderful experiences with many of my coworkers. The scheduling was fairly flexible. And the work itself wasn't particularly strenuous.

ConsMy managers were cocky and egotistical, especially considering they had no knowledge of what I was expected to be at least proficient in. When I asked about a specific policy or how to do anything in particular, I was always referred to a coworker.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend a day or two doing what you ask your student workers to do. Try balancing a full academic load at NYU along with the tedium on needed a work-study job,

Worked for NYU (New York University)? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NYU (New York University) reviews and ratings in New York, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for NYU (New York University) CEO John E. Sexton. All 238 reviews posted anonymously by NYU (New York University) employees.