NYU (New York University)

www.nyu.edu

NYU (New York University) Reviews in New York, NY

Updated Jul 23, 2014

NYU (New York University) President John E. Sexton

John E. Sexton

Pros
  • Understanding Management, Good work/life balance, good benefits(in 21 reviews)

• Tuition remission opportunities for you and your family(in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for advancement unless you are favored(in 6 reviews)

• The pay was really, really low, so unless you're taking advantage of tuition remission, it's just a low-paying job(in 7 reviews)

241 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great experience as research assistant

Research Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsLocated conveniently in Manhattan, it is easy to work at NYU and to commute.
    Coworkers are relaxed and friendly. NYU has many connections to other universities and instates, which provides great networking opportunities.

ConsSome buildings are old and need an overhaul. To work there for a few weeks, you may not receive an account with membership status.

Great Institution to work for. President Sexton is AWESOME... Higher Learning at it finest. GLOCAL ON THE SQUARE

MEDIA TECH (Senior) (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat place to learn, grow & become a productive member of society while getting paid to do something you love. (If you're that type of person) (knowledge everywhere)

ConsA few rotten apples but 90% are dedicated & focused professional.
    If you just want just $$$ you will be miserable...

Advice to Senior ManagementClean up your garden, so all the roses can blossom.

Experience depends on where you work

Research Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsNYU as a whole is fairly decentralized, and things are run differently by different schools (Steinhardt, Tisch, etc.). I think your experience depends a lot on what school you are a part of and your individual department. I have had a great experience working for Steinhardt. I am encouraged to challenge myself and develop professionally, and the people I work with are great. I feel like the people I work for see me as a person and not just a warm body at a desk. The neighborhood is great and very accessible to transit, restaurants, and city life.

ConsThe salary is low compared to similar jobs. Even after negotiating, this position was a 15% pay cut from my last job. Also, working for a large organization can be frustrating at times because of bureaucracy - but in general the red tape at NYU is not as bad as other organizations. NYU could stand to invest more in its facilities and work spaces. In my office, most people have analog phones (yes, analog!) and IT put up a fight when we wanted computer upgrades. Students are paying over $60k a year to attend this school and employees can't even get a phone with caller ID.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlign salaries with market rates, invest in facilities

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It is a good experience to work and study here

Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe position of campus is good. It is in Lower Manhattan.

ConsThe salary is not high. If you are a student, but you want to work in CPT, you should also pay some credits to the university.

Too much politics

Senior Director (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood opportunities, growing organization both in the US and overseas. New campus in Abu Dhabi and Shanghai. 10 Global sites.

ConsPolitics is more intense as compared to working for the Federal, State, or Local government agencies. Faculty are treated as first class citizens, everybody else is second class. Administration is somewhat powerless and takes a long time to make important decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire some of the faculty and set an example. Higher education is stuck in the 1960s where Professors have god-like status. Faculty are employees, just like everybody else who gets a paycheck. Wake up, it's the 21st century.

Good experience

Faculty (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood compensation, smart people, great location, opportunities for advancement within the organization if you are pro-active

ConsNeed to find ways to recognize and compensate staff who were hired 10+ years

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just pay attention to the 'stars'

Good for people who wants studying for less and pay less

Senior Position (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros20% tuition if you are admitted to one of school. 2 to 1 matching in retirement fund up to 5%. Job stability.

ConsMany people complain that it is harder if you are am employee or family member of an employee. No advancement. Chaotic management. Wasteful spending.

Advice to Senior ManagementAssign right job to right people. Invest more on hard working employee instead of paying two and even three to contractor doing less than own employee since they only do one job. Have better planning. This eliminate wasteful spending. The author eel sorry for tuition paying students.

Stable employment, but uninspiring

Assistant Research Scientist (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat co-workers and hours are reasonable

ConsLittle room for growth or creativity

Advice to Senior ManagementValue employees

Frustrating though entertaining.

Rock Wall Attendant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsI had wonderful experiences with many of my coworkers. The scheduling was fairly flexible. And the work itself wasn't particularly strenuous.

ConsMy managers were cocky and egotistical, especially considering they had no knowledge of what I was expected to be at least proficient in. When I asked about a specific policy or how to do anything in particular, I was always referred to a coworker.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend a day or two doing what you ask your student workers to do. Try balancing a full academic load at NYU along with the tedium on needed a work-study job,

Going global with a great respect for diversity of talent & ideas

Human Resources Administrator (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsOpportunities for learning are everywhere for a young college grad & young professional. NYU tuition at a fraction of the cost/nearly free? Yes please! Winter break is also definitely a great perk. Starting salaries are reasonable; starting on, it was the highest I even considered applying for, and I only got it because I had an in from working with them in the past as a student. Innovation is encouraged.

ConsYour work-life balance can get thrown for a loop if you let it. There is a definite cap for some roles, and growth is often attained by leaving as opposed to staying straight through.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn order to retain the people you are training, you really need to work on growing people's roles. I have seen people leave for other jobs most often immediately after getting that degree than any other time, excluding retirement.

Worked for NYU (New York University)? Contribute to the Community!