NYU (New York University)

www.nyu.edu
  www.nyu.edu

NYU (New York University) Reviews in New York, NY

Updated December 21, 2014
Updated December 21, 2014
4.0

NYU (New York University) President John E. Sexton
John E. Sexton

Pros
  • Your work-life balance will depend upon who your managers are (in 25 reviews)

• Tuition remission employees and spouses can earn a degree for almost no money (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for advancement unless you are favored (in 7 reviews)

• The buracracy at NYU is insane, this place is entirely red tape (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

296 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very positive and organized workforce. Many possibilities to promote and move up.

Former Employee - Assistant Research Scientist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Research Scientist in New York, NY

I worked at NYU (New York University) as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great team, fun place to be, great location

Cons

Too many competitions, many work hours

It not a bad idea to touch base on the key work tasks more often

Great place to work

I have been working at NYU (New York University) part-time (more than an year)

Pros

nice work environment. pays in time. Its a privilege working in a great school NYU.

Cons

i didn't have any negative opinions on NYU

Love it!!!!

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU (New York University) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Best place to learn,grow, train ever!!!!!!

Cons

a lot of inter-office politics

The best paid job you can get

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU (New York University) part-time (more than an year)

Pros

As it says,
    This is the job where you get 20 bucks an hour as a graduate teaching assistant. Most other jobs in the univ offer around 10 bucks.
    Being a graduate assistant, you also get to learn a lot since you have to be prepared to help the undergrad students with their education.

Cons

They overwork you at times.
    It isn't a permanent job. You can only work during the fall and spring semesters.

great community

Current Employee - Clinical Instructor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Clinical Instructor in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU (New York University) as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

great community with great leadership

Cons

getting to location. short lunch break

The feeling of the city

Current Employee - Junior Research Scientist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Junior Research Scientist in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU (New York University) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a great place to work, many talks and many people to meet. Perfect place in Manhattan!!!

Cons

You either spend all your salary on housing or you spend all your time on commuting. However, read tons of book on subway =)

Research Scientist

Current Employee - Research Scientist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU (New York University) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The faculty and administration at NYU truly are driven by research so working in research at the University has been a pleasure. The focus is on acquiring massive grants, conducting top-level research, and producing quality papers.
    From my experience, Principal Investigators have been willing to provide training while allowing green researcher and research assistants to learn on the job.
    And leadership opportunities are always present.

Cons

The quality of research papers is indeed high, but the desired quantity is also quite high. Given this, the quality is sometimes somewhat sacrificed so that additional research projects can be pushed through rapidly.
    Also, with a strong focus on research, I have noticed that, for some professors, students and classes are secondary because those professors are primarily researchers who have to teach classes so that they are able to continue conducting their research. It is a trade off with which any college/ university constantly struggles.
    Additionally, working in such a large university becomes difficult when collaboration between separate departments is required. Different technological systems in addition to varying schedules and course point systems create constant issues. Unfortunately, NYU is a very decentralized university due to its size. There is simply no way for the entire university to be run by one group and work on the same schedule and through the same technological systems. Different departments have to be separated and run as separate colleges for the overall university to keep moving. The sacrifice is a lack of cohesiveness among those separated departments. Often times, one hand does not know what the other is doing and that creates logistical and administrative issues.

The decentralization of such a large university is an obvious necessity that NYU has championed. Each department is practically a college within itself. Unfortunately, one hand often times does not know what the other is doing and that creates issues.
    My advice would be to take a good look at the operations of all aspects of each department and the overall university and streamline the systems and eliminate the redundancies because there are A LOT of them.
    In addition to redundancies, there are also several holes so it would also be helpful to strictly define what each employee's job description is. There have been countless times when someone would say, "that's not my job to do that," but they were not able to tell me whose job it was and no one else could figure it out either.
    Other than that, I have enjoyed working at NYU.

Working at New York University

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU (New York University) part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love my coworkers. Training is decent. Your work-life balance will depend upon who your managers are.

Cons

Your work-life balance will depend upon who your managers are. I work in an office with a very top-down management style. It can be very corporate and very anxious.

Increase salary, and hire more secure, less anxious managers.

It it good for students.

I have been working at NYU (New York University) part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good money, flexible working time and Not much pressure

Cons

Not related to study (major)

Less Than Good

Current Employee - Administrative Aide in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Aide in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU (New York University) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only reason I liked working here is that I got to leave promptly at 5pm. If anything were enjoyable about this job, it wouldn't have been necessary to leave on-the-dot every day.

Cons

Horrible HR, horrible administration, no system in place to discipline horrible managers, terrible treatment to students who pay a ton of money to attend.

There are no good reasons for a skilled person to work at your institution. Your pay is horrendous, your management disorganized, your ideas old.

NYU (New York University) Photos