NYU (New York University)

www.nyu.edu
  www.nyu.edu

NYU (New York University) Reviews in New York, NY

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014
3.9

NYU (New York University) President John E. Sexton
John E. Sexton

Pros
  • Understanding Management, Good work/life balance, good benefits (in 22 reviews)

• Tuition remission opportunities for you and your family (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for advancement unless you are favored (in 6 reviews)

• The pay was really, really low, so unless you're taking advantage of tuition remission, it's just a low-paying job (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

258 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great overall training for postdocs, but not good practice of research groups

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU (New York University) full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Postdoc Office of NYU provides multiple opportunities to improve all sort of useful capabilities for postdocs from writing to project management. NYU also offers great support for pattens and entrepreneurial adventures. There is an overwhelming number of interesting seminars weekly and multiple opportunities for collaborations.

Cons

The University and departments do not offer a good protection for postdocs in the research groups. Bad practices are tolerated due to the permanent position of professors. Researchers with a visa are particularly vulnerable in this situation.

Union technical position, no growth, no challenge

Former Employee - IT Support Specialist  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - IT Support Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at NYU (New York University) full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good but not great tuition remission benefits. Ok health/vis/dental. Low key. Reasonable work life balance. Good location and a lot of ways to get involved with the community outside of work.

Cons

NYU is vast but some departments run as many small fiefdoms. Not always easy to navigate politically if you end up in a small group and want to move to another. Compensation for union technical roles are below par but so are the challenge and effort required. Certain managers lack flexibility in scheduling classes during the workday. I know this sounds like a stretch request, but I worked in a department that was open 7a-10p and my colleagues agreed to cover during my classes. You also have to factor in that the tuition remission is a huge part of the compensation package for some people who are working there. Not being able to take advantage of it is problematic.

Underpaid TA

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at NYU (New York University) part-time for less than a year

Pros

It's awesome to live in the city and get to teach. NYU is located in a cool neighborhood and has high quality academic resources. The professors are usually pretty interesting people doing cool research.

Cons

Students not very enthusiastic about learning. Some students are very bright, but most do not seem like they want to be in the classroom. There is a large discrepancy in how much TA's are paid by department from reasonably decent to next to nothing. No dental or vision benefits either.

High employee satisfaction will lead to better teaching and a better student experience.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU (New York University) part-time for more than a year

Pros

most satisfied with the job

Cons

good for a part time job

none

Boring work and keep track of your own hours

Former Employee - Coles Staff  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Coles Staff in New York, NY

I worked at NYU (New York University) part-time for more than a year

Pros

on campus, fairly easy work, fairly flexible with your schedule and you can work as needed. some times there are hot girls that work there.

Cons

pay isnt great, a lot of times they dont have the right hours of you working and you have to keep track of the email confirmations and bring it to their attention that you are not being paid accordingly

keep track of hours worked

Great Work

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU (New York University) part-time for less than a year

Pros

Working as a Research Assistant is a great experience

Cons

Working as a graduate student

Get pay Raise after every semester

Great

Current Employee - Business Operations  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Operations in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU (New York University) as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Superiors were great and understanding

Cons

Offices were not that nice.

none

Great opportunity to be involved in cutting-edge research and intellectual property issues

Current Employee - Contract Specialist II  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Contract Specialist II in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU (New York University) full-time for less than a year

Pros

As a non-profit organization, hours are reasonable and normal 9-5, with great work-life balance. Job comes with great healthcare benefits, a 403(b), a commuter spending account, and countless others that I do not take advantage of at the moment. They paid 100% for my required CLE credits to maintain my NY bar association. Kind, friendly and intelligent colleagues.

Cons

Compensation is probably not market-rate, colleagues mostly keep to themselves and there is not much after-work social events (probably both good and bad). There was no training - just learning on the job (again, could be a good and bad thing). In performing my job, I encountered lots of bureaucratic tape - as a result, I do not feel entirely independent in performing my job. The organization is so big - I'm still trying to understand how all the pieces/departments work together.

Increase compensation to be closer to market rate, especially since there are no other corporate perks like signing bonuses, yearly bonuses, stocks, etc. Have more social events so that our team feels more cohesive. Improve new entry orientation at the department-level to help ensure every new member feels more integrated and understands the role of each team member.

NYU (New York University) TEACHING ASSISTANT

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU (New York University) part-time for less than a year

Pros

lower Pay but Research Potential

Cons

High cost of New York

Allow more special interest classes

Great Benefits

Current Employee - Financial Aid Counselor  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Aid Counselor in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU (New York University) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Tuition remission, healthcare benefits, retirement, vacation days...they offer good benefits

Cons

It's a big school so it's easy to feel like getting things done take forever.

Worked for NYU (New York University)? Contribute to the Community!