Nabors Industries

Updated February 26, 2015
2.1

Nabors Industries President & CEO Anthony G. Petrello
Anthony G. Petrello

Pros
  • They offer good benefits and competitive pay (in 3 reviews)

• May be a few good employees, but they are leaving too (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Could use a revamp of upper management (in 5 reviews)

• No career growth, which has made me leave the company (even though the pay was not bad) (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a bad company, plenty of areas to improve though.

Former Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Nabors Industries full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked for NCPS and in the corporate office in Houston. There are a lot of good people who work there. They are very understandable and want you to succeed. Laid back atmosphere in my department.

Cons

Not much structure. A lot of times I was left to do nothing, even if I asked.

There needs to be more organization in development of your employees. That is why I ultimately left.

Great Place

Former Employee - Full Time in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Full Time in Houston, TX

I worked at Nabors Industries full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment, trustworthy, honest, and great business friendly atmosphere. Flexible work schedule with flex hours and plenty of work from home.

Cons

Honestly there are no "cons". Management is great to work for, exceptional industry knowledge, and superior team building environment. Excellent peers, and in all-in-all and go above and beyond.

Great Place to gain experience

Former Employee - Floorhand in Williston, ND
    Former Employee - Floorhand in Williston, ND

I worked at Nabors Industries

Pros

Fun job, great pay and good work life balance.

Cons

safety program is miserably difficult to practice everyday and is not help workflow.

no comment

IT is by far the worse place to work at Nabors

I have been working at Nabors Industries

Pros

Vacation, sick time, and bonus. Great hard working Americans in some areas.

Cons

The EEOC, Immigration, and SEC need to investigate IT and the dealings of the CIO!!! HR, CEO shame on you for allowing this type of treatment of hard working Americans you are just as guilty.

Do the right think end the CIO tyranny.

Nabors IT - total disaster

Former Employee - Director in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Houston, TX

I worked at Nabors Industries

Pros

Pay is on par with market

Cons

Total Chaos
    Toxic politics
    Total Confusion over priorities
    CIO plays the dictator role, and he has his favorites. There are some women who are close to him and they are given special rights, even though others perform well, only those close to the CIO get all the benefits. This is very unusual in any other place I worked
    A dysfunctional atmosphere - which will dampen your enthusiasm, and will leave a bitter feeling for ever in your career. Dont join unless you are desperate
    Many H1 B's. No reason for all those developers. There is a person who is a director and also owns a recruitment company from where these developers are hired! Totally unethical behavior

Complaints against the IT department should be taken seriously and fixed earliest. My hunch is that the company will be sold pretty soon, due to lack of leadership

Avoid Nabors IT department unless you're desperate

I have been working at Nabors Industries full-time

Pros

- flexible schedule
    - convenient corporate location (Greenspoint)
    - free parking garage
    - good vacation time (3 weeks + 10 sick days). Standard is 2 weeks vacation no matter how much work experience you have, but if you insist on 3 weeks they will give it to you.
    - Sign-on bonus (if you ask for it)
    - Average annual bonus

Cons

- IT department is the worst possible place to work
    - CIO has been with the company for 15+ years, therefore he lacks innovative vision beyond the walls of what he accomplished at Nabors.
    - Micromanagement to the extreme
    - HR has no power, therefore unethical behavior is the norm because IT leadership believes they are above any possible repercussions
    - IT Leadership shows favoritism to employees with same cultural background
    - Employees with tenure (10+ years) at the company receive special treatment, which makes it difficult for new employees to join the team and promote change for the better.
    - Large amount of wasteful spending by IT
    - No accountability for actions. Leadership pushes sub-par projects through the pipeline in order to meet their annual goals and receive their large bonuses, all at the expense of the users and staff who is overworked and underpaid.

- Revamp the IT department for the betterment of the entire company. All new leadership needs to be put in place.
    - Be open to new ideas to improve processes, cut costs, and improve products
    - HR needs to take complaints seriously when they come from IT and formulate an action plan to address issues.
    - Hold IT accountable for meeting project timelines, performing within budget, and providing a high quality product

No work life balance

I have been working at Nabors Industries

Pros

lot of technologies and lot of learning if you are willing to work for less 24/7

Cons

NO process to follow. no documentation , lot of H1b employees , they make you work 24/7

IT Learned alot...but the politics was the most toxic I have ever seen

Former Employee - IT Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Nabors Industries

Pros

* Got to work with new technology.
    * Good people still around in IT

Cons

* Improvements were too slow to implement, too little, too late.
    * Hard working operations team does not have good leadership
    * My prediction: Company will be sold

Consider taking a sabbatical and think about the state of the company while real leadership guides this ship out of the torrential seas you've caused.

Very Rarely Followed Through With What They Promised

Former Employee - Floorhand/Trucking in Sidney, MT
    Former Employee - Floorhand/Trucking in Sidney, MT

I worked at Nabors Industries full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Paycheck was always on time.
    Trucking side of things were better than most.

Cons

Travel Pay turned into Performance Bonuses so they could tax it horribly.
    Travel Pay was never on time. You would be told that travel was a certain schedule and it would change with who you would ask.
    Didn't truly seem to value their employees. I worked for them for 2 years, I not once called in, I was a very loyal employee. None of this mattered.
    The big wigs on the sites had clear favorites.
    Discord between HR, management, and all over the board.

Listen to

Lots of unrealized potential; if it were cultivated.

I have been working at Nabors Industries

Pros

Paycheck always goes in the bank on time.

Cons

This company, like any other in O&G follows the ebb and flow of the industry. The real tragedy is how the company is run.

CEO- is a lawyer who could not care less about people. His only concern is the bottom line (the money). His attempts at showing empathy as a result of employee surveys were pathetic at best, and never resulted in a measurable change of any sort. He talks a good talk, even brought in a large consulting firm and spent a LOT of money to figure out what the issues were... The result, More of the status quo.

CIO- very intelligent man who has been given the keys to the kingdom, and is very close to the CEO. Too close if you ask around... This CIO controls every aspect of the company either directly, or indirectly stemming from the totalitarian IT system that is in place. Up until a year ago, you couldn't even plug something into the USB port of your PC. They were disabled. Nothing occurs in the building, even facilities maintenance or the cleaning staff vacuuming the aging floors, without an IT ticket. The CIO continually home grows IT systems and customizes platforms to such an extent that it creates a self sustaining ecosystem for his IT staff. We have more developers than a video game company.

HR issues- as an organization we have a large talent pool. Some very intelligent minds in the organization that we are very lucky to have. However inevitably, they all leave. Regardless of if it takes 4 days, 4 months, or 4 years. They all realize they aren't being compensated for their market value. Then, instead of promoting within, investing in the talent that we have so much of, we spend countless amounts on consulting groups and contract labor of various types. All of which is vastly more expensive than engaging the talent we have in the organization.

This company could be great, if the senior leaders would let it be.

Wake up. You're killing your company, your brand, and your talent pool. So many recruiting efforts and referral bonuses... Try that level of effort to retain the employees you have.

Nabors Industries Photos