Nabors Industries Reviews

Updated October 27, 2014
2.3

Nabors Industries President & CEO Anthony G. Petrello
Anthony G. Petrello

Great place to learn and grow

I have been working at Nabors Industries full-time

Pros

Lot of new initiatives with opportunity to learn and grow. Lot of investment in new technology and new people.
    Excellent access to CIO (daily open door policy) and IT directors
    Lot of focus on building relationship with business and revamping IT processes

Cons

Benefits not at par with other competitors, No work from home or 9-80s available.

IT Specific - Great work on bringing transparency and accountability to the IT organizatization.
    Overall Nabors - Great focus on making One Nabors a reality.

If you are willing to dedicate yourself; there are no barriers in place for advancement.

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Nabors Industries full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Salary, work-life balance, team environment. Nabors is on the right track again, under the guidance of the new CEO. Changing to become a more market driven progressive company. Great people and a real team feel. Pretty surprised by the very negative reviews on the site. I would say depending on your outlook, this company would be a 3 star to 5 star company. The 1 star and 2 star reviews are pretty crazy.

Cons

Still have challenges of making that change to a newer progressive company. Some entrenched management, still not willing to change. With that being said, change is happening just not as quickly as one might hope. Benefits are average at best.

Make the hard decision and let a few laggards go and continue to move forward with your One Nabors vision.

Lots happening, lots to do, little planning and thus bad deadlines, leadership centralized in one or two people.

Former Employee - Manager, IT in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Manager, IT in Houston, TX

I worked at Nabors Industries full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Comp is good, technology is always trying to push forward. Many good employees. Good breadth of technology and systems being used and thus good place to get experience and try different hats.

Cons

Company struggling to transform into a suitable structure for the future. Could use a revamp of upper management. Without proper planning and project management in place all deadlines are suspect and give the impression that failures continue to happen.

Key issue is the culture. Management up to even the director level is not trusted to make decisions. Culture comes from the top.

IT needs a new leader

Current Employee - IT in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - IT in Houston, TX

I have been working at Nabors Industries full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paycheck is in the bank every other Friday. Great people trying to do the right thing. Decent pay. Growth is steady. Goals are reachable.

Cons

IT needs new leadership. Constant changes no direction, micro management, high turnover, no team work. Directors are picked based on loyalty nothing to do with being qualified. Directors never challenge leader. Americans need not apply.

Think of the people working and what is important to them. Hire hard working Americans. Stop the favoritism! Stop the gossip. Make changes now! CEO needs to say enough and make a change at the top. IT turnover will continue only the employees who are dangerously loyal and do not questions things will stay. Some people can be bought to keep quite.

Worked at Nabors

Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Nabors Industries full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good salary, some good employees

Cons

Bad benefits
    Vacation is only 2 weeks, not on par with market
    Absence of Trust - people are afraid to ask for help and hide their mistakes.
    No career growth
    Lot of stress due to failed projects (there is no project control)
    No proper planning.
    Controlled by a few people in the upper management who fail to recognize their own limitations
    Back channel politics

Build good upper management roles,
    you need leaders who can help and run it like they own it.
     Stop promoting people because you like them personally. Instead offer the right roles to the right people.
     All the team members should have recognition. Otherwise the attrition will continue at the high rates

Recruiter

Current Employee - Recruiter in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Houston, TX

I have been working at Nabors Industries as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Resume builder and learning experience

Cons

Poor wages, poor management, no structure, high turnover

More perks for employees, show your appreciation, pay competitive wages so that turnover isn't so high

Good Place

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Nabors Industries full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible, engaging, requires energy, can get boring or difficult

Cons

remember the small guy at all times.

Again, remember the small guy

Comments on IT do not reflect the reality

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Nabors Industries full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Access to management. One of my colleague mentioned about this site and the comments. I am shocked to see the comments. I have been here in the Nabors IT for 10 years and seen many changes. Most of them are very positive and more than anything, I was given an opportunity to grow within IT. Went from helpdesk person to a Sr. Analyst role. At first I wasn't happy for not having the opportunity that I wanted (to become a programmer), but with CIO's help and his open door, he was able to help me make the right decision for my future. I was not only able to grow within company, but I am also happy with what I do. I wouldn't have been happy being a programmer, since I like to interact with users a lot.

Cons

Benefits are improving, but still needs improvement. Salary helps compensate some of the benefits.

Continue to share the vision and expedite the One Nabors goal.

Stay away from this place...

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Nabors Industries full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Are there any, hard to find any ?.

Cons

Hopeless Benefits.
    Turnaround is too high.
    Micro management.
    No work from home option.
    Select few get all the credit, promotions, merit increases and bonuses.
    Lots of developers on H1 visa.

Horrible IT Upper Management

Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Nabors Industries full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers and sporadic opportunities to work on different technologies.

Cons

Multiple IT Directors and all are hand-picked by the CIO. Directors are incompetent, micro-managers and hinder productivity, efficiency and don't offer any career advancement. Only opportunities for advancement are if you are midnight buddies with the current CIO then you can leave the company repeatedly and just call the CIO and ask to come over to his house at night to "work out" your return to Nabors. CIO will bend over backwards for his midnight buddies just as they will do "ANYTHING" for him. IT Department is more like a day care with a lot of temper tantrums and then the kids feel better and come back and kiss the teacher to ask for forgiveness. UNBELIEVABLE AMOUNT OF TURNOVER DUE TO NEGLIGENCE AND UNAPPRECIATIVE UPPER MANAGEMENT (DIRECTORS, CIO, MANAGERS AND SR MANAGERS).

Replace CIO, do real-life competency testing to directors in IT to determine which to replace as well. Appreciate your employees and give them the opportunities for advancement and raises rather than paying your CEO $68 million in 2013 (last year).

Nabors Industries Photos