Nabors Industries Reviews

Updated March 27, 2015
101 reviews filtered by

IT is by far the worse place to work at Nabors

I have been working at Nabors Industries

Pros

Vacation, sick time, and bonus. Great hard working Americans in some areas.

Cons

The EEOC, Immigration, and SEC need to investigate IT and the dealings of the CIO!!! HR, CEO shame on you for allowing this type of treatment of hard working Americans you are just as guilty.

Do the right think end the CIO tyranny.

Avoid Nabors IT department unless you're desperate

I have been working at Nabors Industries full-time

Pros

- flexible schedule
    - convenient corporate location (Greenspoint)
    - free parking garage
    - good vacation time (3 weeks + 10 sick days). Standard is 2 weeks vacation no matter how much work experience you have, but if you insist on 3 weeks they will give it to you.
    - Sign-on bonus (if you ask for it)
    - Average annual bonus

Cons

- IT department is the worst possible place to work
    - CIO has been with the company for 15+ years, therefore he lacks innovative vision beyond the walls of what he accomplished at Nabors.
    - Micromanagement to the extreme
    - HR has no power, therefore unethical behavior is the norm because IT leadership believes they are above any possible repercussions
    - IT Leadership shows favoritism to employees with same cultural background
    - Employees with tenure (10+ years) at the company receive special treatment, which makes it difficult for new employees to join the team and promote change for the better.
    - Large amount of wasteful spending by IT
    - No accountability for actions. Leadership pushes sub-par projects through the pipeline in order to meet their annual goals and receive their large bonuses, all at the expense of the users and staff who is overworked and underpaid.

- Revamp the IT department for the betterment of the entire company. All new leadership needs to be put in place.
    - Be open to new ideas to improve processes, cut costs, and improve products
    - HR needs to take complaints seriously when they come from IT and formulate an action plan to address issues.
    - Hold IT accountable for meeting project timelines, performing within budget, and providing a high quality product

3. No work life balance

I have been working at Nabors Industries

Pros

lot of technologies and lot of learning if you are willing to work for less 24/7

Cons

NO process to follow. no documentation , lot of H1b employees , they make you work 24/7

IT Learned alot...but the politics was the most toxic I have ever seen

Former Employee - IT Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Nabors Industries

Pros

* Got to work with new technology.
    * Good people still around in IT

Cons

* Improvements were too slow to implement, too little, too late.
    * Hard working operations team does not have good leadership
    * My prediction: Company will be sold

Consider taking a sabbatical and think about the state of the company while real leadership guides this ship out of the torrential seas you've caused.

6. Mismanaged

I have been working at Nabors Industries

Pros

Benefits and hours are decent

Cons

Lack of communication, favoritism, mismanaged at this yard

7. Very Rarely Followed Through With What They Promised

Former Employee - Floorhand/Trucking in Sidney, MT
    Former Employee - Floorhand/Trucking in Sidney, MT

I worked at Nabors Industries full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Paycheck was always on time.
    Trucking side of things were better than most.

Cons

Travel Pay turned into Performance Bonuses so they could tax it horribly.
    Travel Pay was never on time. You would be told that travel was a certain schedule and it would change with who you would ask.
    Didn't truly seem to value their employees. I worked for them for 2 years, I not once called in, I was a very loyal employee. None of this mattered.
    The big wigs on the sites had clear favorites.
    Discord between HR, management, and all over the board.

Listen to

Lots of unrealized potential; if it were cultivated.

I have been working at Nabors Industries

Pros

Paycheck always goes in the bank on time.

Cons

This company, like any other in O&G follows the ebb and flow of the industry. The real tragedy is how the company is run.

CEO- is a lawyer who could not care less about people. His only concern is the bottom line (the money). His attempts at showing empathy as a result of employee surveys were pathetic at best, and never resulted in a measurable change of any sort. He talks a good talk, even brought in a large consulting firm and spent a LOT of money to figure out what the issues were... The result, More of the status quo.

CIO- very intelligent man who has been given the keys to the kingdom, and is very close to the CEO. Too close if you ask around... This CIO controls every aspect of the company either directly, or indirectly stemming from the totalitarian IT system that is in place. Up until a year ago, you couldn't even plug something into the USB port of your PC. They were disabled. Nothing occurs in the building, even facilities maintenance or the cleaning staff vacuuming the aging floors, without an IT ticket. The CIO continually home grows IT systems and customizes platforms to such an extent that it creates a self sustaining ecosystem for his IT staff. We have more developers than a video game company.

HR issues- as an organization we have a large talent pool. Some very intelligent minds in the organization that we are very lucky to have. However inevitably, they all leave. Regardless of if it takes 4 days, 4 months, or 4 years. They all realize they aren't being compensated for their market value. Then, instead of promoting within, investing in the talent that we have so much of, we spend countless amounts on consulting groups and contract labor of various types. All of which is vastly more expensive than engaging the talent we have in the organization.

This company could be great, if the senior leaders would let it be.

Wake up. You're killing your company, your brand, and your talent pool. So many recruiting efforts and referral bonuses... Try that level of effort to retain the employees you have.

9. Pay is below Average FOR OFFICE STAFF

Former Employee - Office Administrative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Office Administrative in Houston, TX

I worked at Nabors Industries full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Local Management was great! Benefits were good, and the work environment was very comfortable and casual. Stable company with long history.

Cons

Office staff is paid hourly but expected to work approx 60 hours a week, and although the Drivers and Rig Hands are some of the highest paid in the industry the office staff are some of the lowest in the industry. Just before leaving Nabors to relocate I was offered a position from a local competitor for the same position for around $1600 more a month than I was making there. I know some of that was based on my reputation, but I know from experience and other's stories that the Nabor's starting pay for my position was about $500 less than we were starting New Hires at.

Your office people are just as important as your employees in the field.

Great place to start

Current Employee - Technician in Williston, ND
    Current Employee - Technician in Williston, ND

I have been working at Nabors Industries full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company will allow you time to get to know your job position details, lots of support in the field from coordinators and other technician employees. Provide housing and super benefits package. Very big on meeting safety standards and will not question decisions based on good safety practices.

Cons

Management is unavailable. Culture is base and interaction toward promotion is difficult. Lots of promises of pay upgrades but difficult to achieve due to Nabors standards of training outside the states at corporate in Texas. Work can be very difficult physically due to climate and weather conditions in ND an MT.

Cut the weak links and streamline the pay grade process. Concentration on overtime usage versus customer service is wrong focus. Customer service wins business. An employee that gets the job accomplished and is reliable is well worth the extra in overtime pay. More bodies does not equal more work accomplished. Misuse of resources should be monitored better.

11. goo job but frustrating at times

Current Employee - Safety Department in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Safety Department in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Nabors Industries full-time (more than a year)

Pros

2 weeks off every month

Cons

recent cut in payable hours but they still expect the same amount of work. often work 16 hour day but get paid for 12

value your employees or lose them

Nabors Industries Photos