Nagravision

www.nagra.com

Nagravision Reviews

Updated Jun 16, 2014

André Kudelski

Great people, fast-paced, great benefits

Director (Current Employee)

ProsVery international company with great people. Benefits are very competitive. Environment is fast-paced which never makes for a dull moment. Schedule flexibility a huge plus. Learned a lot about pay-TV technologies and industry as a whole. Job/location transfer opportunities usually possible whether domestically or internationally (depending on your function).

ConsInternational work environment can make communication challenging at times, but nothing a phone call can't fix. Travel may be an issue for people who don't like to travel too much (not all positions require travel).

Great company

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Gainesville, FL

ProsCompetitive pay, best benefits in the country (equalled only by google)
    Managers, coworkers all very friendly and supportive
    Good work life balance

ConsLot of traveling involved especially internationally, not for those who dont like to travel
    Specific job functions only performed at specific locations

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider integrating departments like bootloaders and application development across multiple locations so that new employees do not have to relocate

Equal opportunity work environment

Engineer (Former Employee) Lausanne (Switzerland)

ProsGood compensation, great colleagues, opportunities to grow

ConsSome women-friendly services need to be introduced on-site

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

High-tech international company with a vision

ProsI joined Nagra because I was working for a company that they acquired. That was over 10 years ago and I have stayed ever since becuase I think it is a good company with a long term vision: it is not driven just by quarterly results, but by long-term business strategy too, as shown by the acquistion of ex-competitor Conax, by the new cybersecurity activities, and by important R&D spending since many years that gave the company a strong patent portfolio and a leading position.

ConsThings don't always go as fast as with a start-up company, there is some red tape that we have to put up with, and there are some politics. I gues it is the same with any company with 3000+ employees...

Advice to Senior ManagementNotch up the internal communication a bit (though there has been improvment over the last year). Maybe more Nagra social events could help with that.

Great company to work for.

Senior Engineer (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsInteresting work, good technologies, spring, ws, rest, soa architecture, etc. Lot's of exciting technical challenges. I mean, you have a million set top boxes connecting to your system so you have to plan for huge throughput.
    Decent pension scheme. They look after their staff well. Great bunch to work with too, very supportive.

ConsNot many. They adopted agile processes recently but there was lots of talk about it not really working for the way they wanted to work. However some of the bigger chiefs really do want this to be the way forward so a bit political but workable. Generally teams do it anyway.
    Location in UK is now only Wales, London office was closed.

Advice to Senior ManagementCarry on with the agile process. It worked very well for the projects I was involved with.

Working for one of the leaders in the Digital TV space

ProsNagravision has a long history and a strong brand in Digital TV with very large customers worldwide. This creates a very interesting working environment, with a lot of bright & smart people working on advanced future services, trying constantly to invent the 'next thing'. Being still a family owned company, the work values & ethics are also an important part.

ConsIt is a large organization, spread over many continents, and this sometimes creates challenges for communications & sharing experiences.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communications & knowledge sharing worldwide.

Review

ProsGood environment with interesting people. They seem to have very good business plan and also give a chance to people who come from other professions.
    The executive board also pay attention to the employees' points of view

Consi have not really seen critical cons on this company. they seem focus on what they are doing and have product quality at the center of their target

interesting work at forefront of technology

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cheseaux (Switzerland)

ProsIn no particular order: many briliant people, flexible working hours, international travel opportunities, overseas assignment possibilities, focus on internal moves across teams/depts, products and technologies deployed in millions of homes and on millions of devices, good HR, values and rewards good performance.

ConsInternal communication tends to be on the weaker side, decision process not always quick and transparent, senior management not always aligned and pulling in same direction, benefits ok but nothing fancy, worklife balance ok though depends of geography and function.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more explicit and transparent about mid- to long-term strategy and objectives, share more with employee (stock options or equity of some sort?), walk the talk and be role models.

Highly Successful Family Company with A Challenging but Bright Future

(Current Employee) Cheseaux (Switzerland)

ProsThe CEO cares deeply about his company and its employees as well as its customers. He himself is a brilliant man with strong vision about the future and a desire to create long-term sustainable growth. The company's headquarters is situated in stunningly beautiful surroundings, and the company culture is one of respect for people's personal lives and collective enjoyment of the finer things in life. The Christmas parties are legendary! There is great respect and loyalty to employees who contribute to the company's success. The company is seriously interested in continuing to reinvent itself and remain viable long into the future. I've seen many examples of people getting promoted through the ranks into more senior positions, so there is good growth potential, especially with new initiatives. Benefits package is good to excellent.

ConsThe company is loyal to it's employees, sometimes to a fault, and could use some new blood to shake up the culture and the status quo, but that's starting to happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more clearly and frequently with employees about vision, strategy and strategic objectives so the whole company can more effectively align to those things.

Would be a great company if they can think outside of Switzerland

ProsCEO really cares about his employees and treats them well. But this also a problem in that it creates a lot of waste in the organizations.

ConsOnly chance for career advancement is through Switzerland. You would think that a global company would capable of running its business outside of HQ but that is not the case. The CEO and the Exec Management team only seem to want to work with people they can see. It appears at times that If they can't physically see you, your opinion does not matter.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a "true" global organization and allow for decisions outside of HQ. Make people in HQ spend time in the regions learning the business. Most of the data points people in HQ use are old and outdated. Also, look hard at the SVP's and the value they really bring. Most talk a good game but don't actually provide any value.

Worked for Nagravision? Contribute to the Community!