Naked Pizza

Randy Crochet and Robbie Vitrano

Getting the Whole Foods customers without the Whole Foods value

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Denver, CO

I have been working at Naked Pizza part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great job if you are in between or searching. They are also great working with students. Tips tend to be pretty good. Appears to be a good first job for high school students.

Cons

This company has no soul. They focus on the business plan to the point of losing business. Corporate does not trust employee's. There is also little room for recommendations from the bottom up. The pay is pretty bad, so I couldn't imagine being there longer than necessary. They try to be like Whole Foods, but are nothing like it. WF cares about employees and respect them for the most part. Naked Pizza tries to be something they are not. It is a corporate machine that seeks to make a profit, and cares very little about their employees.

Listen to employees and be willing to stray from the business plan. You are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole sometimes.

Naked Pizza will take your soul, and repay you with minimum wage and management from hell

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Denver, CO

I worked at Naked Pizza full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I lucked out and got to work with a great group of people - specifically the insiders, drivers, and in-store managers.

Cons

Where to start, where to start...As the title says, expect to sell your soul once you make the horrible decision of gaining employment with Naked Pizza. It was common practice for Naked Pizza to take advantage of their workers, treat them like property, and screw them over for pennies on the dollar. Corporate has this knack for reenacting the book 1984; they literally had people consistently watch the workers through the store cameras, take snapshots of whatever they were doing wrong, and obnoxiously whine and complain to our store management for days about things as ridiculous as a worker not having their shirt tucked in or someone not cleaning the same table surface for the thousandth time within that hour. They loved enforcing this Big Brother mentality and were constantly shoving their ridiculously stupid marketing ideas down our throats. The owner of the franchise I worked at LOVED trying to have it all - she was all about trying to have her cake and eat it too. "Make food costs impossibly low while not under-topping the pizzas, have all the employees weigh every topping while getting pizzas out in under two minutes, keep labor costs down but get more workers to come clock in and sign spin!" and the list goes on and on. Bottom line, the lack of sales obviously suggests that people aren't interested in spending a ridiculous amount of money on pizza, and their marketing ideas fail to make customers think otherwise. Unfortunately, the crap rolls downhill, so franchise owners and corporate blame it on the drivers and insiders, and claim that people don't buy our pizzas because we don't scrub the floorboards enough times per day, or because not tucking our shirts in is somehow a deciding factor in whether people want to spend a fortune on pizza.

Maybe switch places with a driver, insider, shift-lead, or even a GM for the day. You'll see before lunch how horrendously hypocritical, unfair, thoughtless, and nauseating it is to deal with certain pressuring franchise owners and overbearing corporate staff. Otherwise, stay out of the kitchen, none of you know how to make a pizza, prep toppings for a pizza, or even know what toppings go on which specialty pizzas, so stay out of the kitchen and try doing something productive with your day.

Love working, when I get hours...

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ewing, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ewing, NJ

I have been working at Naked Pizza

Pros

Fun, exciting environment, laid back management, you eventually learn how to do everything, you can listen to your ipod or whatever music you want.

Cons

Not enough business, therefore not enough hours, job requires employees to hold a sign on the side of the road, even in the freezing cold and wind.

Stop wobbling in the winter, it really isn't fair that if employees want hours they must wobble.

Low pay, high expectations, incompetent leadership

Former Employee - Delivery Driver

I worked at Naked Pizza full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I suppose some of the coworkers were tolerable to talk to. Per run compensation was $1.50

Cons

Very slow, as a driver I consistently averaged less than minimum wage, due to lack of deliveries.
    Expected to do busywork constantly, i.e. sweeping clean floors, wiping clean windows for the purpose of looking busy "for the cameras".
    No free or discounted food, meanwhile numerous pizzas with minor flaws would be thrown away in front of the bored, broke staff.

A fantastic franchise idea, but piss-poor execution in every aspect of business operation.

Current Employee - Shift Runner
    Current Employee - Shift Runner

I have been working at Naked Pizza

Pros

The in store staff is really fun and laid back. There's good music and good people. The pizza is fantastic, if you can afford it.

Cons

The owner of my particular franchise refuses regularly to touch any food or help on the make-line on the rare occasion that we're busy, like it's beneath her. The rules of conduct, dress code, and housekeeping are changed on a daily basis, so no matter how hard you work, you will always be doing something wrong. There is zero communication between upper management and everyone else, we are expected to be mind-readers. No employees are allowed to eat any pizza that is messed up or not fit for sale, but all the upper management can make pizzas for themselves and put a 100% corporate discount on it, so they eat for free. It's a thick "do as I say, not as I do" atmosphere.

If you want your employees to be productive and protect your franchise investment, don't treat them like garbage. While we might not call you on the hypocrisy you pull (mostly because we'd like to keep our jobs), we sure see it. If you can fix your ridiculously high turnover rates by not being horrible excuses of human beings, you can stop bleeding cash everywhere and successfully brand your local market (and finally make all that money you've been talking about).

Cool idea, Incompetent management in store and in corporation

I worked at Naked Pizza

Pros

Good product, everything is fresh
    Cool atmosphere, you can bring in your own music and jam out
    Discount of 50% on all menu items except drinks

Cons

Our very competent manager quit due to too much negative pressure from upper management, was replaced by a very incompetent manager. Upper management changes their minds daily on how they want things to be run, and the information is not circulated properly to employees. In store management not properly trained and constantly had problems with daily tasks. Owner of the company hovers in the store, changing things on a whim that makes the employees' job much more difficult for no real purpose. Unprofessional management, irritating workplace. Wasteful food practices (incorrectly made pizzas were not allowed to be given to staff, had to be thrown away; confusion over expiration dates led to lots of product being thrown away unnecessarily).

Get your act together, hire a business manager who knows the pizza industry, and stay out of the store. Thoroughly train your management and employees. Improve communication, and ensure that ALL information is given to ALL employees. Stop hiring unprofessional and immature managers and assistant managers.