Nakisa

Add Photos

Nakisa President and CEO Babak Varjavandi

Babak Varjavandi

Not all is perfect

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsInformal environment
Great group of people. Employees are from different backgrounds. People are fun.
Company is doing great right now, so they are hiring a lot of help.
Company tries to create a fun environment
Company seems more organized than it ever was and is trying to simplify the jobs in a few departments
Creative solutions
Good place to start your career

ConsOverworked people
Crazy deadlines
No thank yous for working late
Unpaid overtime
Ridiculous benefits (5% of your pay, 70% reimbursed). Keeps on getting lower with the time you spend in the company.
3 weeks vacations that include 2 weeks vacation (mandatory in Quebec) and 1 week of sick leave (mandatory in Quebec). There are no sick or personal days.
The more years you spend in the company, the less likely you are to get promoted.
Company does not know how to handle change.
Company does not use Performance review for anything.
Company always goes through a hiring spell, then fires most of the new people who were hired.
We are entering a new recession, so the highest earners will most likely go first
Company does not retain their knowledge, most veterans have either quit or have been let go.
Salaries in departments other than RnD are much lower than the market

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to retain your talent
Less micro-management

So far so good

Software Developer II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nakisa

Pros- Oppurtunity to learn
- Oppurtunity to grow
- Reasonable pay
- Friendly management
- Indoor games (table tennis, pool table etc)
- Good experienced top management in the field around CEOs
- Casual dress code (even shorts do)

Cons- Unpaid extra hours
- No job security
- Pricey unworthy health benefits (around 5% of your pay and only covers around 70%)
- No retirement plan

Advice to Senior Management- Trust your employess and try to retain key people (you a re in HCM business, God dammit!)
- Go more transparent with your employess
- Stick to your long term planning
- Let employee feel they worke hard (lets just share 10% of your pure income among employees but not theone in senior mangement)
- For God sake don't server pizza in company wide lunch meetings :)

Good place to build your career

I have been working at Nakisa

Pros-Get exposure to different departments/teams
-Knowledgeable and approachable managers, team leads and colleagues, which makes it easy when having a question
-Multicultural
-Lots of activities which give a chance to get to know people from different departments
-Since it is growing there is lots of opportunity for career growth/transfers

Cons-Managers are in meetings a lot. It becomes difficult to track them down
-Since the company is growing policies and procedures are still not always clear, yet are noticeably improving

So far, so good

I have been working at Nakisa

ProsIt’s been less than a year since I joined Nakisa. I want to write a comment because when I was offered the job I looked at the past glassdoor comments before giving my final answer. I was surprised with what I read as it was not the feeling I had during my recruitment process with all the people I met.
In the end, I went with my gut feeling and decided to join Nakisa. It was the right decision as the position and the culture of the company was what I expected.

ConsIt is a growing company right now so it is obvious that there are areas of improvement and processes to be put in place. It is the choice of each employee. Do you want to work in a big structure where everything is defined and your responsibilities are limited? Or do you prefer to work in a smaller and growing company where you can bring ideas on the table, be innovative, improve your work each day and put processes in place?
So far, I have enjoyed my experience at Nakisa. I am working with a lot of smart people and within a multicultural environment. The client base is impressive, I believe in the products and in the HR industry market.

Great Place to Grow with a Great Team

Employee (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nakisa

Pros- Challenging environment
- Opportunity for creative thinking and innovation
- Good team spirit

Cons- Sometimes tough deadlines
- Time of flux as company goes through some growing pains
- Not a good fit if you are only driven by money

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with the spirit of innvoation and team encouragement.

Look forward to go to work everyday

ProsInnovative product
Fast paced
has a strong software developer base
great team work and friendly
new ideas are welcomed
multi cultural/ multi religion
3 weeks vacation for newbies
Nakisa stock option has great potential
great relationship with SAP

ConsThe company is growing and as a result there are lots of changes
Need more resources

Friendly culture with lots of opportunity to grow and develop my career

Employee (Current Employee)

ProsGreat team environment
Lots of opportunity for High Potentials to grow into leadership positions
Amazingly smart and hard working colleagues
Everyone share knowledge and support each other
Lots and lots of learning opportunity
Fast paced, never get bored always learning
Management is open and willing to help
High potentials can advance very fast if they prove themselves
Huge opportunity to learn to work with large organisations such as SAP
Very impressive client base
Lots of fun team building activities including a game room with Foosball, Table tennis, pool table
For the past cuople of years Nakisa has been giving one week of bonus vacation during Christmas

ConsGrowing organization, needs more processes to be put in place
until they hire more resource there is lots of work

There are better companies but there are worse companies ...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Nakisa

Pros- Travel.
- Exposure to all areas of the organization.
- Office location.
- Food in the lounge.
- Hard-working employees.

Cons- Despite the glaring issues and some positives about the organization, current and past employees' attitudes (understandably) are hurting the company's image / value both internally and externally.
- Perhaps it is time to consider a change in management or at least a big shift in management attitude as the constant flip-flop in direction is really difficult to understand and accept.
- Rumors spread like wildfire - mainly due to the small population of employees.
- Nakisa is a cashflow company - no flow, no go.
- Departments are pitted against each other with some artificial attempts to make sure everyone gets along.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlas, it is not my job to tell you how to do yours. All I can say is that maybe it is easy for current and past employees to berate the CEO and the organization, but that won't really solve anything. It's not easy running a company, let alone build one from nothing. So at least there is credit to be given. However, if the company wants to grow beyond 100 employees perhaps it may be helpful to consider some of the following points:

- SAP understandably controls a lot of what is being done, but it's time to start saying NO if you can't keep up with their constant unrealistic demands on what little resources you have.
- It's nice to innovate, but fix the issues that are constantly in the product and never seem to get resolved.
- Being risk averse isn't a bad thing, but a company that doesn't leverage debt will find it very difficult to grow beyond its current means.
- A CEO who considers himself a product manager should perhaps think about delegating CEO duties to someone who is less vested in the product. Understand the difference between micro-managing and delegating. There is simply too much micro-managing at the top and it sets the tone for the rest of the organization.
- After a while, it kind of makes sense why partner trainings continue to be a disaster. Management is so focused on products and jumping high when SAP demands it that there is no one to take ownership of training. The slides haven't improved at all and countless different people pull in different directions. Was getting rid of the training coordinator to save on cost really worth it in the long run? The company has wasted time, money, resources and effort scrambling to improve training and there's really nothing to show for it. But saving 50K at the time made more sense, right?
- With such high turnover, you'd think some kind of extra effort would be made to entice talent to stay within the company. It's almost sad that when someone leaves they are presented with a laughable counter-offer.
- Don't give raises to some people mid-year and nothing to others. The people who get raises mid-year will still expect their usual annual raise and those who don't get mid-year raises feel left out. Yeah, it's supposed to be confidential. But everybody knows the reality of the situation. Money is a band-aid solution and you don't throw it around, especially not after laying off countless employees for financial reasons.
- Be consistent. Be consistent. Be consistent.
- Why so many meetings? Are good decisions actually being made or are we all just wasting our time? If all of these meetings brought the company to its current state ... perhaps LESS meetings and more productivity may help?
- Ban iPhones during meetings. Maybe people would start listening.

Good to start and learn, you should be a self starter.

Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Nakisa

Pros- Learn new things
- Easeness to move from one department to another if you fits in there
- To many thinks to learn, SAP, java, interacting with clients

Cons- Unorganized in dealing with issues
- Overtime on week days and weekend, no choice

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more competetive in employee benefits. Retain your employees instead of hiring new one to whom you dont even know.

Visualize your employees walking out the door

I have been working at Nakisa

Pros-Ability to travel abroad
-There are a lot of opportunities to learn new technologies and new methodologies
-The experience here allows you to spruce up your resume for future employers
-You can leverage the SAP partnership to learn as much about SAP as possible
-An advantage to such a high turn-over of people is that you get to meet many new people, so there is the chance to make new friends and relationships.
-Another advantage to such a high turnover is that in about 1 or 2 years time you can easily get "Senior" attached as a prefix to whatever title you decide to give yourself.
-There are some very smart employees in the company, learn as much from them as you can before they walk out the door. (Edit: this may no longer be valid as they are almost all gone)

Cons-Where to start….
-Independent thought is only encouraged if it is in line of the flavor of that particular week
-Regardless of what is mentioned here, there is no “work at home” for everyone. This is kind of on the “per employee” basis which would work great if you could be rewarded with that, but if your particular manager doesn’t believe in it…tough luck.
-Management doesn’t seem to trust their employees no matter how long they’ve been there. There always seems to be a sort of attitude that you as the employee are going to screw over the company some how.
-If you travel on a week-end (which you may have to do because of cost or time) good luck trying to get compensated (either with money or a day off) for your missed personal day. If asked, you will be told that this is part of the job description and if you don’t like it, you can leave (this may no longer be relevant as it seems like no one else can get fired since there are hardly any employees left)
-If you somehow manage to get yourself into the “doghouse” with the CEO, your only hope is that someone else moves in and the focus switches to him or her.
-Management likes to act chummy with people, but sometimes they need to own up and be professional instead of walking around swearing and dumping on other departments behind their backs.
-PS and R&D employees seem to have no respect for one another and instead of senior management addressing the situation, they seem to encourage it with their remarks and innuendos.
-Since the latest CFO came in, the benefits plan has steadily decreased in its offering, the cost has gone up and any employee perks have been eroded away.
-If you're about to start a job there, negotiate everything from salary to vacation days. It seems like you can easily get more vacation time than an employee that's been there 5+ years just by asking for it.
-Nakisa likes to think of itself as a big company by putting in big company rules, but they still have small company benefits and salaries. It seems like Nakisa CAN have its cake and eat it too!

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement, we know that you are actually reading this now but the question is what will you do about it? Let me tell you a few things that your employees are afraid to tell you. First off, the Director of HR is the CEO’s sister….can you say “conflict of interest”? Do you think that your employees will actually go tell her the truth about anything knowing that whatever you say will be reported directly to the CEO with your name attached? Come on, wake up.

Respect your employees. You’ve gotten away with treating us like dirt for so long that you may not know how to treat us any differently but it looks like you have no choice. Get the message from the droves of talented people you’ve pushed to walk out the door. I’m not saying that they were pushed because they got fired, they were pushed because you left them no choice. People are not as dumb and blind as you think. Pastures are far greener outside of Nakisa and since the “culture” is now non- existent, everyone is leaving to pursue better career opportunities and to finally get a decent salary for the hard work they’ve put in. We've all known that as soon as the economy was going to pick up, people were going to take off. Did management try to do anything about it? No...why would you? You've gotten away with not really having to pay us what we deserve, so instead of thinking ahead and prying open the wallet, you continue to pass the message that we should be lucky to have a job with Nakisa.

You have no idea what kind of confusion and distrust you cause your employees with the endless changes in direction for everything from the next release to the platforms we support. You’re quick to point the blame at individuals but hardly ever point the blame at yourself. When you do point at yourself, it’s only to take someone else down further. Here’s a key piece of advice, get rid of the family and friends that are yes men around you who only tell you what you want to hear. This company will never move forward without some senior management with some experience outside of Nakisa. Anytime you brought some outside people in, you got rid of them in a hurry since they didn’t just forget everything they’ve learned and did what the CEO says. There is one or 2 there right now, we had high hopes but they’ve learned to become yes men like the rest of them.
Its almost too late, but start treating your employees like adults and you’ll be surprised at how they’ll react. You’d better go to the people who you cannot afford to lose and give them what they want because we all know that they’re probably already looking for work elsewhere.

You can start to implement change, but expect to still lose people. Your employees have been burned too many times that nothing will keep them, but you have to start sometime right? It’s too bad that your pride and your thick-headedness has lead your company to be the shell of what it once was and what it could have been. Don’t kid yourself and think that “culture” is enough to keep people anymore. Wake up and realize that money, benefits and working conditions are what people really want, so stop using the recession excuse and start to match the market value for salaries.
One more thing, enough with the useless company meetings where you tell the company how great everything is going. When you ask people if they have questions, the question they want to ask is "if the company is doing so great, what do I get out of it?". Everyone is afraid to ask for fear of being "blacklisted" or fired for some unknown reason shortly after. Try throwing your people a bonus every now and then, this will actually prove to them that the company is doing great and they can feel like they get something for all the hard work and time they've put in. Instead they're told, "you've been working hard, but we need to work harder". People cannot work at 100% 365 days a year and you need to recognize that.

Good luck, it looks like you need it.

Worked for Nakisa? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nakisa reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nakisa CEO Babak Varjavandi. All 34 reviews posted anonymously by Nakisa employees.