Nakisa

3.7

Nakisa President and CEO Babak Varjavandi
Babak Varjavandi

Great Team Environment

I have been working at Nakisa full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I am a relatively recent hire at Nakisa and so far my experience has been great. Some of the pros are:
    - Great location
    - Amazing team. Everyone is very welcoming, hard working and intelligent
    - New company initiatives (A lot of potential growth)
    - Interesting and challenging projects
    - Free breakfast and coffee everyday

Cons

The building could use a face lift inside and a group RRSP plan would be nice

Fast-paced and stimulating work environment in the heart of Montreal

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Nakisa full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Even though I am part of the most recent hires at Nakisa, it feels like I've been working there for much longer! Amazing co-workers and exciting projects certainly contributed to making me get onboard and enjoy the ride.

Cons

I don't really have any cons to share. Nakisa seems to be the best well-kept secret in Montreal so the onus is on us to change that.

In general, Nakisa is a good company, and can be improved drastically

I have been working at Nakisa full-time

Pros

Great enterprise culture
    Adequate work-life balance
    Comprehensive management regarding time-off
    Some great talent within the company
    Downtown Montreal
    Product has the potential to grow and improve drastically

Cons

Breakfast is free, but bagels and bread needs to be refreshed more often.
    The company lacks structure, planning and control over projects and changes in the enterprise.
    R&D is king of the mountain there and restrain the proper expansion of the company.
    Major employees retention problems, they need to keep their talent.
    Training can be improved

Put a proper structure and foundation in place, and stick to it.
    Change the culture, define your company mission and base all your decisions on core values.
    Spend more on R&D, they are restraining your growth capacity (better resources, not always go for the cheap labor).
    Be demanding and apply a tighter control and quality over operations.
    Align departments better, so they work together properly.

Only looks great from the outside

I worked at Nakisa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The employees are great. When I was working there, there were employees that came from around the globe, which made for a fantastic environment.

Cons

Extremely high turnover and no job security. The moment you would start earning more money, you would be replaced by a new graduate. Pretty ironic, when you consider that one of their products focuses on talent management. Definitely not something they apply at this company.

Heart of downtown - Challenging and fun at the same time

Current Employee - Anonymous in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Nakisa full-time

Pros

Recently, there have been some positive changes including the hiring of many experienced and talented people to help the company stay on the right path toward success.
    Everyone is working hard to create differentiated and quality products for the clients and we do it well. The company culture and the people's experience brought to the table help very much to achieve this. Sometimes, I can't believe the amount of bright people that work here.
    When it comes to employee satisfaction, there is a lot of headway in the last 6 months
    I can't deny that location is amazing.
    Employees are kept more in the loop in terms of company vision and strategy than ever before. There are frequent company wide meetings, company updates, emails etc

Cons

From my perspective, I can't complain. The company is growing, so employees need to adapt. If you're someone that doesn't adapt well to change, it could be more difficult. Every company has room to improve, it's just a matter of time and resources.

I think we're going in the right direction.

Satisfied to work at a stable respectful company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Nakisa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great relationship with supervisor
    Top managers and VPs really accessible and friendly
    Company's culture based on respect (the real one, the respect you feel day-in day-out, each second you spend at this company, not a simple word used by HR to attract like I experienced in other companies)
    Multicultural environment where we learn from each other
    Company at a growth phase, but human resources are the center of attention still
    Good salary
    Flexible working shifts
    Extra free week of vacation at christmas time (+ regular statutory holidays), management being really cool at this one :) makes it nearly 2 weeks off
    Strategy and orientations being shared and explained on a monthly and quarterly base

Cons

Honestly can't find that many to say .. Maybe some silos still to break between departments, but nothing critical, when you need other departments help you get it.

Keep on being what you are, genuine and approachable

Dishonest, controlling, disempowering, soul-less and declining software company

I worked at Nakisa full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Downtown location, close to many services
    - Some talented employees (even if they won't stick around)

Cons

- Upper management is unable to focus on strategic initiatives : shoots in every direction
    - Understaffed : company`s revenues have been on a steep decline
    - Huge turnover and retention problem : employees are 6-mo to 12-mo old on average, except for a select few
    - Complete lack of alignement between desired culture and actions of the upper management
    - Employees are considered mindless slaves expected to work countless hours for no reward (monetary or just plain recognition): nobody makes any decision except VP and CxO
    - HR and execs have some of the worst practices of the industry
    - Huge lack of satisfaction among staff leads to individualism culture - most employees in place are looking for a new job
    - Company is ill-prepared for the market shifts and the increasing competition - it has a huge potential which will never be realizezd by current upper management.

PLEASE BEAR IN MIND THAT MOST POSITIVE REVIEWS ARE ORIGINATING FROM THE HR DEPARTMENT. Just company the number of postifive/negative/overall reviews to any other company of similar size (Montreal is 60-75 employees at most, despite HR saying they are over 150 and counting). 10 times the number of reviews, there is a reason for that.

HR are charming in interviews. And it ends there. The nightmare begins when you join the company on your first day. And don't expect HR to follow or honor any contract. Leave no notice when you leave, it won't get paid. Don't expect to be recognized by your boss, he will take credit. Don't expect to make any decisions, unless you're VP or CxO. Don't expect work-family balance, core hours are 9h00 to 17h00 (for real).

Positive atmosphere, great people - overall a great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Nakisa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best thing about Nakisa are the people. Over the past couple of years, the company has managed to instill a very positive culture. They appear to hire not just based on knowledge and experience, but based on personality and fit as well, ensuring that everyone fits in well with the company's culture. You don't see this in many companies, and it helps make for a very positive working environment.

The leadership across the company is solid, with management acting as mentors and always providing people encouragement and the opportunity to grow both personally and professionally. Rather than leaving for other opportunities elsewhere, over the past few years, many people have looked internally and have taken on entirely new roles within the company. Many people across the company have been there for 10+ years.

The office is in the heart of downtown Montreal, with direct access from underground (which helps a lot during cold Montreal winter days!) Free food (cereal, bagels, toast, yogurt, fruits, etc) as well as tea and coffee are available all day, everyday.

The company is growing significantly, with many job openings across every department.

Cons

While I personally don't consider this a negative, if you're looking for a job with the same mundane day-to-day tasks, this definitely isn't the place for you. The work is fast-paced and challenging.

Really excited about the direction of the company. Keep doing what you're doing!

Great place to work

Current Employee - Sales in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Nakisa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

To start with the more superficial, the office itself is pretty great. It's an old theater building (with a theater still in place), ping pong, pool tables, cafeteria, 20ft ceilings, etc. The culture is super friendly, easy-going, and hard-working. I'm surrounded by competent people who like being good at what they do, and I think that's pretty important.
    This isn't the kind of place that makes you stamp in/out, or even keep track of your movements. You almost make your own schedule (come in and leave late/early).. Just get your work done. I'm a big fan of keeping a flexible schedule.. static 9-5 just isn't viable in today's world.

The current Exec leadership is the strongest it has been since I joined a few years back. They are likable, approachable, and very smart. I have quite a bit of respect for them.. That said, there have been one of two rough points in the past with some of the execs who aren't here anymore..

Turnover - gfresh minds, bad-apples gone, positive energy, rebounding from successfactors,

Since it's not a massive company, there's a lot of opportunity to make waves and influence change. It's very easy to get included on a new project, jump on a new initiative, etc. This is probably one of the best things about this place: if you want it, there's load of opportunity. I'm sure there are people who are interested in cruising along, gaming the system, and collecting their checks.. That's not me. What I like about this place is that there are SO many ways to NOT be bored. I hate being bored. It's like necrosis for the mind. I'm not bored here.

Cons

We had an executive who was quite aggressive and not very open-minded. Caused some issues internally. There was another one who just didn't seem to care, and always seemed to find reasons to not work hard. They are both gone, so it's a non-issue now.

Can be hard to get direct feedback sometimes. When the culture is super-friendly, you almost have to go and ask for feedback and extract it from people. It's not always readily volunteered..

There have been a few disgruntled former-employees... and as a result the management team has been overly sensitive to current employees and slower to get rid of the current "bad apples" that are still here.. I really wish the management team would just fire the slackers that are still here. If someone isn't happy, get the hell out. Why wait to be fired anyways?

Exiting work in diverse and greatly helpful team with OK-ish salary

Current Employee - Senior Java Developer in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Java Developer in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Nakisa full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

>> a great culture of understanding, respect, trust and team-work. Absolutely loving it.
    >> opportunity to work with some amazingly smart and very passionate people.
    >> opportunities to work with latest web-technologies and learn new things.
    >> plenty of opportunists for career growth/switching within company.
    >> good work-life balance most of the time.
    >> extra paid days offered to all employees on Christmas from the last few years.
    >> flexible schedule, work from home is acceptable sometimes but not regularly.
    >> foosball and eight-ball tables.
    >> style of management has improved since home-grown people have been promoted to senior management positions lately.
    >> easy access to workplace from Metro or Train.
    >> free breakfast available.

Cons

>> no group pension plans, neither any contribution towards RRSP
    >> below par IT infrastructure.
    >> below par benefits compared to market especially health coverage is too expensive. (You will end up paying 7% to 10% of your pay for very basic health plan).
    >> high turn-over that seems unusual for a company in HCM market.

>> High turn-over is hurting company, please do something to manage it. Stuck in a cycle where new people make mistakes and leave, whoever left behind have to go through a lot of firefighting to mange other's mistakes and so looses focus.
    >> it is improving but senior management team should need to do a lot more to gain back employee's confidence.
    >> For God sake, improve IT infrastructure. Can't understand how hey do math, 20$ savings in hardware is worth more than 20% productivity for IT. Not to mention the frustration build-up on employee's part.