Nakisa

Nakisa Reviews

Updated May 6, 2014

Nakisa President and CEO Babak Varjavandi

Babak Varjavandi

Nakisa deserves better reviews Before I interviewed at Nakisa, I read glassdoor and still took the job.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsNakisa was recommended to me by a friend who works here. After a year he is still here and I could not be happier. Working here you will meet people who have been here for 5, 10 even 15 years or more. Obviously many glassdoor comments are not reflective of how these employees feel.

The people are great. The management team has some new faces and all are eager to make the company a better place and help the company grow..... and it is growing. While there are lots of opportunities for the existing products, the new leasing product has a HUGE opportunity.

New to management is a COO, responsible for HR, someone with extensive experience with HR.

Nice office, good location, free fresh fruit and other food and the other stuff you would expect from a software company, and things you don't expect - their own movie theatre. I have never worked for a company that has so many staff lunches.

A truly worldwide company, but it is still small enough that the CEO will know your name.

ConsThe company could provide more career advancement type training. I will have to do some of this on my own.

Advice to Senior ManagementI can see you have lots of jobs posted. These positions are needed and more. Hire good people.

All in all, very satisfied with my experience at Nakisa.

Software Developer (Former Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsThe location is very convenient (downtown Montreal).
    There was a fun, friendly and supportive atmosphere in the office.
    My direct managers were knowledgeable, supportive and helpful. The other managers that I worked with, were good in general but few of them weren't either as resourceful as I wished them to be or as supportive.
    Down to earth and easy to reach CEO; same goes for most of other top level managers.
    Good pay and compensation.
    Free breakfast, coffee and snack.

ConsThere was not much hard core Java involved in daily work. As a developer I was looking for more Java work than XML, XSL or JS tasks.
    There was lighting issue in most areas of the office. Also heating and cooling system was not very good (temperature was very different in different floors of the building).
    No private parking, so if you want to take your car to work, you either have to find a spot in the street , which isn't very easy all the time as the area and surrounding streets are super busy, or pay 20 to 30 bucks to park in one of the buildings around the office like Place Ville-Marie.

Look forward to go to work everyday

ProsInnovative product
    Fast paced
    has a strong software developer base
    great team work and friendly
    new ideas are welcomed
    multi cultural/ multi religion
    3 weeks vacation for newbies
    Nakisa stock option has great potential
    great relationship with SAP

ConsThe company is growing and as a result there are lots of changes
    Need more resources

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Friendly culture with lots of opportunity to grow and develop my career

Employee (Current Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsGreat team environment
    Lots of opportunity for High Potentials to grow into leadership positions
    Amazingly smart and hard working colleagues
    Everyone share knowledge and support each other
    Lots and lots of learning opportunity
    Fast paced, never get bored always learning
    Management is open and willing to help
    High potentials can advance very fast if they prove themselves
    Huge opportunity to learn to work with large organisations such as SAP
    Very impressive client base
    Lots of fun team building activities including a game room with Foosball, Table tennis, pool table
    For the past cuople of years Nakisa has been giving one week of bonus vacation during Christmas

ConsGrowing organization, needs more processes to be put in place
    until they hire more resource there is lots of work

A place where you can be the element of change

ProsSmall management line, you can practically walk into the CEOs office and through some ideas at him. You get heard but you have to prove by example. Free breakfast :). Very nice and respecting people. You can always get help from others, no one says no to help you. If you want to take 1 or 2 paid days off or work from home, there are no questions asked. If you write code that meets or exceeds expectation, you get really appreciated and treated as a hero :). You always have something new to learn. A very good new employee training program.

ConsThere is movie theater in the office but no movies only quarterly meetings in it.
    Developers are not shielded by management from the customer.
    Plans change too quickly
    Too many things for too few people in management to handle, so management is always in meetings.
    Codebase is very complex with little documentation, there are more configuration files than Java code.
    More time should be given to understand and solve the problem on paper before jumping to coding.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be a meeting free day where developers can find management in their offices. The workforce needs a little time to "digest" new ideas, changing things too quickly brings confusion.

This is a great place to work and that is why I am here.

Pros• Great colleague, lots of recruiting efforts goes into finding them.
    • Team spirit and friendly work culture
    • Interesting and challenging projects; see list of customers
    • Great products to work on
    • Great office spaces and location
    • Lots of room to grow, lots of vertical and lateral movements, employees are given the chance to move to new positions or new departments
    • Growth, opportunity
    • Kitchen and breakfast
    • Occasional movies in the private theater

ConsCons: Usual growing pains, have to adapt to changes

..3 years now and ....still happy.

ProsPeople are very friendly, most of them are easy to work with.
    Mostly young people, open minded, lot of fun. If you work hard you may get promoted.
    Good location, closed to the train.
    Free breakfast, including: fruits, milk, cereals, butter, jam, juice, bagels etc.
    Salary: fair.
    Sick days: unlimited, if you don't abuse.

ConsInsurance cost a bit high.

Great place to work at

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsEasy to access, downtown Montreal, great people, cool benefits. If you like not seeing the day go by like me, well this is the place, always something to do.

ConsI don't really see any Cons for now.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore benefits...

Great place to work

Proslots career opportunities
    great learning opportunities
    friendly culture everyday breakfast

Conscompany gorwing fast and at time deadlines are tight

Advice to Senior Managementdont have one

So far so good

Software Developer II (Current Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

Pros- Oppurtunity to learn
    - Oppurtunity to grow
    - Reasonable pay
    - Friendly management
    - Indoor games (table tennis, pool table etc)
    - Good experienced top management in the field around CEOs
    - Casual dress code (even shorts do)

Cons- Unpaid extra hours
    - No job security
    - Pricey unworthy health benefits (around 5% of your pay and only covers around 70%)
    - No retirement plan

Advice to Senior Management- Trust your employess and try to retain key people (you a re in HCM business, God dammit!)
    - Go more transparent with your employess
    - Stick to your long term planning
    - Let employee feel they worke hard (lets just share 10% of your pure income among employees but not theone in senior mangement)
    - For God sake don't server pizza in company wide lunch meetings :)

Worked for Nakisa? Contribute to the Community!