Nakisa

Nakisa Reviews

Updated May 6, 2014

Nakisa President and CEO Babak Varjavandi

Babak Varjavandi

This is a great place to work and that is why I am here.

Pros• Great colleague, lots of recruiting efforts goes into finding them.
    • Team spirit and friendly work culture
    • Interesting and challenging projects; see list of customers
    • Great products to work on
    • Great office spaces and location
    • Lots of room to grow, lots of vertical and lateral movements, employees are given the chance to move to new positions or new departments
    • Growth, opportunity
    • Kitchen and breakfast
    • Occasional movies in the private theater

ConsCons: Usual growing pains, have to adapt to changes

Fake reviews from HR alert

Professional Services Team (Former Employee)
    Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsFew of the remaining people are still great to work with.

ConsHave HR people to post fake positive review to boost its glassdoor rating

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease, if you have the HR to post positive review, do not ask them to post them 3 times in one day.
    Your company does not need more benefits or fresh fruits and bagels.
    People are eager to leave for another job. people with 5 years , 10 years or 15 years of seniority that are still in the company? There are a few... but what is the ratio? I wouldn't say "many".

Run away from this company .... its life will be over soon .. all positive reviews are fake from Nakisa HR

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- One of the few enterprise software companies in Montreal
    - You get to work in English
    - Most co-workers are good people and nice to work with

Cons- 30%+ voluntary turnover .... almost the entire executive team and 90% of the product management team have all left within the last year ... why do you think so many people leave?

- Lower than average pay across the company .... most positions are paying 10K+ below what you can get at other companies for similar roles, senior people have left for double their salary elsewhere

- Yes men all over the place .... once you are in the company you will learn that only 2-3 people actually get their voice heard and everyone else needs to fall in line with the ''Family'' executive management team. Some people have been there 10 years+ but the only reason they are their is that there is nowhere else they can go for a similar position in montreal

- Weird office space .....it is very big and airy which is good if you are used to working in a cubicle environment but it is also cavernous and empty .... having so many empty chairs and with so many people working from home or on the road you had the feeling like you were working all alone in this huge space which was demotivating ... in reality they could downgrade their space by 40% and still function properly

- VPs have no power they just act as a shield/worker ant to the decisions that ownership makes ....ownership decides who is let go in departments, what direction the products will make, what will be done in marketing etc... your input wont matter and when you bring evident and obvious problems to light you will be dismissed or ignored

- falling revenue , almost non-existant marketshare....the successfactors acquisition by SAP has almost killed the business and the reality is that the company has been able to hang on due to business overseas but in the americas SAP has essentially killed the business by pushing Successfactors while telling their clients to outright not buy Nakisa as product issues with it almost lost SAP a few big clients

- PS and PM Teams are overworked and with most people being asked to work above and beyond the stated requirements because the company refuses or cannot find people to alleviate the stress in those positions .... if a certain 1-2 people leave in the PS group they would not be able to handle implementations because no one else knows how to implement it

- ''Leasing Product is a HUGE opportunity'' --- they company is essentially hinging its future on this product just like they did with their orgcharting product that started the company but the legal requirements for this solution have not been placed into law and until this happens no one will buy it and even when the law is put into place it will probably state that there will be a 3-4 year grace period to follow it so this is not really an answer to their revenue problem in the nearterm

***** in regards to the positive comments you will see on glassdoor regarding the company ... most are fake and even i after reading them took a job with them because i believed in the manager who was going to be over me but it turned out he had too much on his plate and as stated above actually had very little power in the company ... things didnt work out and all I saw was problem after problem with a horrible culture around the company.

Unless this is your first job .... look for something else its not worth your time being wasted here

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company has now gotten to the point where they need a professional manager to take over and the CEO needs to stepdown

look into the details and embrace your mistakes as opportunities to change ... don't dig your heels in based on your opinion .... learn from your mistakes and move on

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

..3 years now and ....still happy.

ProsPeople are very friendly, most of them are easy to work with.
    Mostly young people, open minded, lot of fun. If you work hard you may get promoted.
    Good location, closed to the train.
    Free breakfast, including: fruits, milk, cereals, butter, jam, juice, bagels etc.
    Salary: fair.
    Sick days: unlimited, if you don't abuse.

ConsInsurance cost a bit high.

Great place to work at

Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsEasy to access, downtown Montreal, great people, cool benefits. If you like not seeing the day go by like me, well this is the place, always something to do.

ConsI don't really see any Cons for now.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore benefits...

Nakisa deserves better reviews Before I interviewed at Nakisa, I read glassdoor and still took the job.

Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsNakisa was recommended to me by a friend who works here. After a year he is still here and I could not be happier. Working here you will meet people who have been here for 5, 10 even 15 years or more. Obviously many glassdoor comments are not reflective of how these employees feel.

The people are great. The management team has some new faces and all are eager to make the company a better place and help the company grow..... and it is growing. While there are lots of opportunities for the existing products, the new leasing product has a HUGE opportunity.

New to management is a COO, responsible for HR, someone with extensive experience with HR.

Nice office, good location, free fresh fruit and other food and the other stuff you would expect from a software company, and things you don't expect - their own movie theatre. I have never worked for a company that has so many staff lunches.

A truly worldwide company, but it is still small enough that the CEO will know your name.

ConsThe company could provide more career advancement type training. I will have to do some of this on my own.

Advice to Senior ManagementI can see you have lots of jobs posted. These positions are needed and more. Hire good people.

Make the best of it

(Former Employee)
    Montreal, QC (Canada)

Pros+ Interesting product and underlying tech
    + Good location
    + People

Cons- No development past the 1 or 2 year mark
    - Sense of mediocrity; no 'A' game

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat place to get a start in either Development or Services. Not such a great place to stick around in after you've gained some experience (2 years). If you stay you won't develop.

In Development, expect to work on front end JS / XML / HTML unless you're half decent in which case they let you in to work on their Java core framework.

In Services the projects are quick installations of org charting and talent management software. The clients are all over the globe. You can expect to get sent to places like Brazil, Australia, and interact with some large companies and public sector organizations.

However because of limited growth potential and inexperience in management, for those of you who want to give to and receive more from their career, you will need to go somewhere else. This is everything but on a small scale. Good luck to you and Nakisa!

The company itself is confused

Project Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsThe job itself was fun
    Many of the people are nice

ConsManagement and team leads seem confused most of the time and miss deadlines
    Upper management is not pleasant

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better project managers and treat employees better.
    HR is great, our teams are great, it is just a downer to see someone from management carrying all the negative energy or showing off to us. We do not care about you, we care about getting the project done ON TIME!!

Good people, boring job

Software Developer (Former Employee)
    Montreal, QC (Canada)

Pros-The best thing about Nakisa is the people who work there. They are friendly and help you a lot.
    - Very friendly, hand in code managers. Chris & Albert are great managers to work with. They will support their team 100%.
    - The location is down town Montreal, McGill Collage.

Cons- More work in XML, XSL than Java. As a software developer you may expect to work with Java but mostly it is configuration.
    - It is more like a family business. The head of HR is CEO's sister, Head of IT, QA, Finance & Support is CEO's brother. Working with him is hard & he doesn't have knowledge for technical decisions that he make.
    - No pension plan.
    - Limited insurance.
    - I would only recommend this company for the first job.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't think your brother has enough knowledge for the decisions he make.

Happy that I left the company before it breaks down

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsBreakfast is included, BUT always check the expiry dates!

You will find many fantastic co-workers there, BUT hurry up, on average every week one of them is leaving (Why? check the cons)

The company is in downtown and has access to underground level (It is important if you know Montreal's winters)

The chairs! I missed them a lot. Variety of perfect office chairs that you can choose!

ConsThe company is totally SAP dependent (partner), and since SAP acquired their competitor (SuccessFactor), they couldn't make enough money!

Almost all the key people in the company left in late 2012 and early 2013, including 4 VPs (Marketing, PS, Finance and Engineering Operations)! Plus more than 10 developers, five testers and more than 10 people from other departments (More than 20% of company's population!)

The culture is awful. There is no place for feedback and criticism. The head of HR is the sister of company owner and executive. And his brother is in charge of release, test, IT and finance departments! So, if you are not happy with what they do (which is common), leave the company before they let you go!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou don't need to give jobs to all your relatives if you want your company grow.

Worked for Nakisa? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nakisa reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nakisa CEO Babak Varjavandi. All 40 reviews posted anonymously by Nakisa employees.