Nalco Champion

Steve Taylor

How things change here.

Current Employee - District Representative in Canton, OH
    Current Employee - District Representative in Canton, OH

I have been working at Nalco Champion full-time (more than a year)

Pros

At first it was a great place to work. We had a great support team and great communication to the field.
    We seamed to have a group that cared, and tried to all help out.

Cons

Lack of advancement opportunities due to new hires being promoted above Sr. personnel based on connections within the company.

Newer upper management that values internal politics and internal connections over seniority and experience.

Absolute dishonesty of leadership when faced with being in the wrong, or when faced with any type of difficult situation.

Management that is extremely hard to reach and in a very short time forgot what it was like to be in the field.

Management that is extremely not understanding when it comes to the differences from the office to the field.

Care more for the actual face of the company that the hand picked leadership.
    Understand that when on days off that means not at work or doing work stuff.

Stop being users

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Houston, TX
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Nalco Champion as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

They pay very well for those who they make permanent. It's a very laid back environment, not a lot of micro management going around, and they're pretty flexible with scheduling. Everyone's expected to do their jobs without a lot of "hand holding,"however, if you need some help- they're pretty friendly about it.

Cons

I've personally experienced life as a contractor here, and have seen/heard what they do to other contractors. They provide a false hope by bringing you on as a contractor with the thought of becoming permanent, and once you approach a year- they let you go. It's happened to many, they don't care about lying to you. I was told my position would be evaluated at one date, only for that time to come and go without mentioning anything else. Also, if you're a contractor, they do not allow you to participate in company events; however they brag and boast about parties and gatherings right in front of you. To me, if you're a contractor, you're treated like "help" and no an equal.

Please be more respectful towards contractors- they're making your jobs easier as well. I would also recommend being forthright about their roles. If you only want someone to work for you for one year- then just say that. Don't lead people on thinking they actually have a future with the company, and they don't.

Oklahoma Chemical Operator review.

I have been working at Nalco Champion

Pros

Working on the treating side is a Monday through Friday work week which is almost unheard of in the oil field. Also the local management looks out for their employees welfare.

Cons

It is a typical corporation, too many cheifs and not enough indians. All that uppper management seems to do is hire more managers and pat them selves on the back for it. Upper management has a very bad habit of lying to employees regardless if it is in writhing or not. I am legacy Champion and we are under paid compared to Legacy Nalco hands and were promised a raise to their level over a year ago an it never happened. Also for such a large corporation the health insurance is horrible. It was cheaper for me to find external insurance and the insurance was better.

Stop making promises you wont keep and harmonize like you promised. Further more stop with the emails wanting congratulations to new manager positions being filled by this person or that. It's like the grammys everyone patting themselves on the back for noting. We don't care who is where. We care about results and promises fulfilled.

Good overall company.

I have been working at Nalco Champion full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Compensation and Job security are good.

Cons

Employee health and insurance benefits could be better.

OK

Current Employee - chemical operators in Fresno, TX
    Current Employee - chemical operators in Fresno, TX

I have been working at Nalco Champion full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good people to work with. Control room atmosphere is great. Great team work with lab and warehouse.

Cons

Very poor management. Previous plant manager was horrible. New plant manager seems to be much better. Warehouse manager is horrible. Poor equipment, pay is below market value, that's the reason for high turnarounds. Not enough common sense in the leaders.

Get new ones!!!!!!

Loved working here and learned a lot

Current Intern - Process Engineering Co-Op in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Intern - Process Engineering Co-Op in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Nalco Champion as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn because the plant is old and has plenty of room for improvement. People are great as well.

Cons

The structure of project/process is not that good. Makes it difficult to get work accomplished. Actually a nice place to work

Overall great employer

Current Employee - Account Manager in Midland, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Midland, TX

I have been working at Nalco Champion full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with and good team atmosphere. They invest deeply into developing their people.

Cons

Seems to be gaps in compensation depending on who you are.

Continue to hire highly qualified individuals.

Mass Exodus of Top Talent - Avoid At All Costs

Former Employee - Principal Engineer
    Former Employee - Principal Engineer

I worked at Nalco Champion full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Nice coworkers
    - Flexible work hours when needed
    - Safety was paramount

Cons

- No work-life balance
    - Mediocre compensation (average salaries are typically 20% under market, no matter what Nalco/Ecolab tells you)
    - No company culture whatsoever
    - No training
    - Zero delivery on promises

This company can best be described as a stepping stone. I would not recommend it to anybody.

There is no emphasis on technical/manufacturing excellence:
    - It is very difficult to keep production equipment (reactors, pumps, piping, etc.) in top shape if there is little support from the company in terms of financial resources and maintenance personnel for repairs. There are no reliability engineers, maintenance engineers, rotating equipment engineers, etc. Yet management cannot connect the dots as to why equipment keeps breaking.
    - There isn't an adequate project department to execute projects within a set timeframe and within budget. The term "front end engineering" is not known here. And if somebody has heard of it; they don't actually know how to actually carry it out. Most projects are carried out on the back of a napkin and designed as its being constructed (instead of designed in detail before constructed). Management is shocked every time a project falls on its face.
    - There is a corporate engineering department, but it is downsized by nearly 75% of its former glory days. So there aren't many subject matter experts or senior resources for advice.

If you are a high-performer (what the company would call "top talent), I would recommend that you pass this company up entirely. Just cross it off your list. They are not equipped to develop and mentor "top talent". I was recruited as a high-performer at this company and was promised many things when I started. None of these promises ever materialized. I was distinguished by an award for being in their top 1% and received several 10% annual pay increases. I hated working here so much, I would not stay if they doubled my salary.

There are many much better employers in the market to join, instead of falling into the Nalco Champion sink hole. Several top engineers left the company at the same time I did, and we are all much happier (both professionally and personally) where we are now.

Never start to believe that what you see at Nalco Champion is "normal" or "industry standard". It is not. Avoid this company at all costs (no matter what they promise, or what salary they offer you).

It was the worst years of my life.

You need a management intervention.

Your chemical plants are falling apart. You cannot execute projects. You have sub-par maintenance capabilities. You are losing top talent at a shocking rate.

You have too many levels of middle-management. You have 45,000 employees yet only bring in $14B in revenues ($300,000 revenue per employee). You are an inefficient company. I recommend starting to trim your seas of middle management. You have too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

You are a joke of a management team. Your direct reports tell you what you want to hear: that you're a great leader. And you're too isolated from the core of your company to realize it isn't true.

A company that is going the wrong direction.

Current Employee - Production Operations in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Production Operations in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Nalco Champion full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you have no where else to work around the Sugarland plant.

Cons

Production is a joke all people worry about is getting one on the shift coming in, Supervisors are a joke wouldn't be able to lead a train down a track , insurance is a joke the company doesn't care about the employee , new plant manager every 2 years every time bringing in a new stupid idea that makes its harder for you to do your job, So if you are dead inside and can put up with major bull*&%$ then this company is who you want to work for , If you can think for yourself a driven employee , motivated then find a company that will apricate you .

jusctify your own job dont have someone else do it for you.

Superb if you dare to talk to the right people

Current Employee - Engineer in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at Nalco Champion full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very short lines to people who will help you. The company is obliged to help you with education and courses. (formerly known as Nalco.edu). Very stable company, very rich, well funded and innovative.

Cons

Sales guys and marketing are playing a too big role in this company whilst they are not the guys in the field. Recommended is more technical people calling the shots. (This company is not about papers, its about research and getting your hands dirty!)

Recommended is more technical people calling the shots. (This company is not about papers and fancy colors, its about research and getting your hands dirty!). Also review the HR department, many many many GOOD Experienced People has left this beautiful company (recently) because you are not providing them with an honest salary compared to other companies in the same business. Many stay because of the "good ol days", but loosing them would be a big loss for the company.