Nalco

Updated Jul 23, 2014
Nalco – US – “Cubicle”

Nalco Chairman and CEO Doug Baker

Doug Baker

Pros
  • Very good Relatively stress free job with great work-life balance(in 8 reviews)

• Some good people but everyone was out for themselves(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Too many layers of management, most of them replicating the same role(in 5 reviews)

• Little to no training or development for employees outside of Sales(in 3 reviews)

Great environment, care about employees, safety is top priority.

Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsPros: Work-life balance, priority on safety of employees and environment, listen to suggestions (bottom-up mentality). Laid back atmosphere.

ConsSalary folks pay not in line with hourly folks. Promotions don't carry salary commenstrate with position range. Many cases where reports earn more than supervisor/manager base pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a pay structure standard. Underpaying management will only lose good, young talent in an industry where experience is vital to continuity and continuous improvement.

Excellent culture, movement and challenges

Senior Account Manager (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsMovement and learning is as far as you want to go and happens as quick as you want to make it.

ConsLike all large Corporations, it can take a while to implement and get the train moving.

Great Place for Entry Level Experience

Senior Research Chemist (Current Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsStrong emphasis on learning, exposure to many different applications and industries. Excellent support for R&D with plentiful resources. Very good Relatively stress free job with great work-life balance.

ConsR&D employees often viewed as second class by business people. Large disconnect between R&D and sales and marketing groups. Very slow growth potential with limited opportunities to move up the ladder.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

In the course of a few months went from the best job to the worst job I had ever had.

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsInteresting fulfilling work with good professional folks that you respected for their knowledge.
    Good Benefits
    Good work life balance
    Company believed in itself and honesty was held up as a solid fundamental core to our business even after the Ecolab buyout.

ConsSince the Champion merger when Champion was put in charge of US operations morale and sales have dropped.
    Nalco employees are treated like they do not matter.
    Long term Nalco employees have been let go
    Most of the Champion folks don't even have college degrees
    At Champion sales people are service tech on salary

Advice to Senior ManagementYou will not need my advice after the P&L's are merged.

Fifteen years of experience with Nalco

ProsExcellent financials and cash flow. Nalco has a proven track record of adding value for it's customers and reducing their cost to operate.

ConsUnfortunately, the free cash at the company does not translate to a culture of employee development.

Advice to Senior ManagementNalco has experience over a decade of transition with significant changes in control. Stabilize and minimize the disruptions by creating a culture where employees know that they will be developed for the challenges of a new organization.

Best company for water treatment and EHS sales

Account Engineer (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe benefit of working for this company, with respect to technical sales, is having the greatest industry brand, experts, and technology in your tool belt, all while having the camaraderie and leadership of a small local team. This company makes real efforts to support its employees in their business processes. Good leadership and training support.

ConsNo apparel or uniform allowance.
    Some challenges with business processes - legal/contract processing, delivery logistics, services coordination, software management - made for challenging account management.

Miles of dissconect

Intern (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsBig company with a lot of resources and knowledgeable people, company values, benefits, experienced people, room to grow, opportunities

ConsDivisions are isolated and there is a lot of distain for shortcomings of other branches the company, no communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementIntegrate marketing and sales.

Overall, satisfied with the company. The management will need some tweaks to line up with the ever evolving culture now

Project Engineer (Former Employee) Walnut Creek, CA

ProsGood organization, hard workers, good infrastructure

ConsGoals were not set and unknown milestones

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand the competencies of the resources and take advantage of it

My experience has been rewarding.

Clerical (Current Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsJob stability and work-life balance.

ConsLimited growth opportunity and low level management deficiencies.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be more in-tune with lower level employees.

Nalco is a great company to work for.

Regonal Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsNalco has been around a long time has has a great sense of values. The "family" atmosphere makes working here a positive experiense.

ConsSometimes the upper management team can be somewhat "black and white".

Advice to Senior ManagementTreatment of employees should be the same accross the board.

Worked for Nalco? Contribute to the Community!