Namco Bandai Games America

Updated February 21, 2015
2.7

Namco Bandai Games America President & CEO Kenji Hisatsune
Kenji Hisatsune

It was QA, so it's about what you'd expect.

I worked at Namco Bandai Games America as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

There was a good general environment, and I did enjoy the culture on my teams for the most part.

Cons

As a QA tester, there was a very small chance that I would have been able to stay if I was there until my contract ended. And honestly, I didn't feel like part of the company, for the most part. Just like a grunt, I guess.

intern

I have been working at Namco Bandai Games America

Pros

play games. learn alot. fun

Cons

it was meh could have been better

If you want to be in the most beloved part of the industry look no further!

I worked at Namco Bandai Games America as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Lots! Being a Contract QA Tester here was awesome! My favorite thing was being told on the first day of the job that we would be fired immediately if we ever ventured into the "Namco" areas. What a great way to start off the first day of work! Another great perk was the fact that we were told explicitly not to touch anything for Namco employees ie food. It great because at the end of the day Namco would throw out 2 boxes full of donuts and bagels. Lol. That' was awesome! Not to mention the fact that with the flexible employment schedule I would work 2 months, then be out a job for a month, brought back again for 2 months, rinse and repeat! Best thing ever! With that I was easily able to balance out life and work! I mean, with all of my free time, all I had to worry about was finding another job instead of how severe an issue was!

Cons

Are you kidding me!? There's no cons to working as a QA Tester here! I mean, where else can I play high quality games like Dragonball Z: The 50th iteration!?

None! Keep on saving those bucks and using those loopholes so you can continue to use staffing agencies! I think you should make everyone there a contractor. It''s such a pain and inefficient to hire people full time! Let staffing companies do that work for you!

QA is Just a Fancy Title

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Namco Bandai Games America as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Game, games and more games! As an avid video game enthusiast, the thought of getting paid to play games all day sounded great. I was able to play some of hottest titles months before they were released. I know this review is two years too late but better late than never. The coworkers were great and was able to build great professional relationships. I wasn't officially an employee of Namco but a contractor through a company called Wired Talent.

Cons

Playing games for pay sounds like a great job on paper, but in actuality, it's really not. I was burnt out from playing video games to a point where I wanted to sell all my video game systems. Also some of the managers over exerted their power and made the employees feel like less than human being. I would only do this job temporarily until something better was to come along but I would not do it as a full-time job.

Fun place to work.

Former Employee - QA Tester in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - QA Tester in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Namco Bandai Games America full-time (less than a year)

Pros

One of the best people I worked with. They are very organized in what they are doing.

Cons

Salaries could be a bit better.

Poor Management and Unable to Keep Around Top Talent

Current Contractor - CQC in San Jose, CA
    Current Contractor - CQC in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Namco Bandai Games America as a contractor

Pros

* Location
    * Umm... Video Games?

Cons

* Departments that need to keep talent around are unable to hire due to restrictions
    * Departments tend to be cut off from one another
    * A lot of politics that dampen morale and work efficiency
    * Inept employees are kept and not encouraged to perform to their fullest while employees with potential are let go
    * Poor pay
    * Always behind when it comes to new game ideas (always jumping on the bandwagon for trends that have stopped, rehashing a franchise over and over without truly improving it)

* Cut the people who aren't giving their all to better improve themselves, the company, and their co-workers
    * Compensation could be better

Enlightening experience hampered by bad managment.

I worked at Namco Bandai Games America full-time

Pros

Location was probably the best thing about this place. I know that's really relative but that's the first thing that came to mind. Excellent benefits, some of the best I will ever have.

Cons

Pay is fairly bad. Be prepared to be underpaid and raises are very very low if it even happens. There are a lot of questionable employees that are still being kept with high pay. People who would routinely do the most inept things and yet still be held on because they were friends with someone higher up. This and constant bad decision by management made it hard to be productive.

CEO should have fired every manager and start over.

Dynamic place to work for

Current Employee - Director in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Namco Bandai Games America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexibility to be mid-level management

Cons

Lack of direction from executives

Bring strong leadership to the table

Unorganized

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Namco Bandai Games America full-time

Pros

It's a video game company.

Cons

They're too scared to take risks.

Spend a little money & get good leaders. Change the way you think about making video games. Your ideologies are dated.

When I worked for this company, it was called Namco Networks America Inc in San Jose, not the Santa Clara location.

Former Employee - Senior Producer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Producer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Namco Bandai Games America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people in the trenches were a pleasure to work with.
    The company was a great place to work from 2004 - 2006.
    Picked up some really great experience which really helped catapult my career.

Cons

* Compensation could have been better, but that was probably because this was my first job out of college.
    * I don't think management always made the best business and strategy decisions and thus the Mobile and Downloadable Games division of the company I worked for was shut down and folded into the Console division after I left.
    * Hiring standards got really lax as time went on.
    * The games were driven by sales and marketing rather than design and what's fun.
    * There was definitely an inner circle who ran the show. If you were a leader who disagreed with the inner circle, you were let go. This happened to one of my managers who was trying to affect positive change, but was seen as a threat.
    * Politics

Their mobile business started off great. Then they weren't quick enough to adapt to the changes in the industry.