Nanobiosym

Updated June 9, 2014
3.4

DR. ANITA GOEL

Very Productive work environment; Stimulating Team; Cutting Edge Technology;

I have been working at Nanobiosym full-time

Pros

work environment is stimulating; great people; wonderful growth opportunities; compassionate team, great leadership and management team; brilliant vision and very efficient execution of milestones; good upside opportunities for employees; great alignment of long term employee incentives with company growth opportunities

Cons

great for full time employees, and interns who enjoy the growth and learning opportunity but can be a tough for some interns who can't hack it or do not yet have enough skill sets or the positive attitude needed to endeavor beyond their comfort zone

Be more selective when giving interns the opportunity to join the company; make sure they have the right appreciation of the opportunity they are being given and the necessary track record to survive in this fast-paced environment

Archaic management style, disrespectful towards employees, zero collaboration

I worked at Nanobiosym

Pros

Ambitious, hardworking and disciplined. And by that, I mean work 6 days a week, 10 hours a day with very little pay.

Cons

I have seen quite a few start-ups who are equally ambitious but they not only have a much better work-life balance, but they also treat their employees with respect and trust. You won't find any of that here.
    The interview process was completely unidirectional and I wasn't given any opportunity to ask any questions about the company, the people and most importantly, its world famous "iPad-sized-one-click-revolutionary-game-changing-yada-yada device". And so I read all the glassdoor reviews. There are two very distinct sets of reviews - highly position and highly negative. My experience was identical to bad experiences other people had. You would think the management would learn a thing or two from previous criticisms. And then you read the glorious generous reviews that are so not true based on my experience, not sure who's generating those. So much for their self-professed values of truthfulness and transparency

Learn to trust the world before you set out to change the world. And get some basic management lessons

Micromanagement, sweat shop

I have been working at Nanobiosym as an intern

Pros

Location.
    A good place to learn

Cons

Micromanagement: daily progress report
    Sweat shop: Monday to Saturday work schedule
    Very low salary
    Doesn't respect employees or future employees:making employees/candidate waiting for hours is the norm
    Weird work environment: meditation for every occasion
    Rely too much on metaphysics

Should stick to pure science.

Profound Growth Experience

I have been working at Nanobiosym full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

i have had a tremendous growth experience during the past several years of my working for this Company.
    This is truly one of those rare companies where you know there is something profound in the air and the joy of working with a deeply passionate, talented and committed team working to make a real difference on the planet

many of us who work here often talk about that sense of mission or purpose that permeates our work

I love the people, the team, brilliant, passionate, and deeply motivated by a sense of purpose

Cons

this are tough deadlines, and it is a fast paced environment and not for the faint of heart

It takes a special kind of person to be attracted to and who thrives in this kind of fast-paced hyper growth environment.

very few people know about all the wonderful accomplishments the company has made in the past several years. Perhaps it is time to share more of these with the outside world.

No clear vision, lack of communication and micromanaged

Former Employee - Scientist
    Former Employee - Scientist

I worked at Nanobiosym full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I got chance to work in new technology development.

Cons

The company didn't have a clear vision about the technology development. Employees were micromanaged and paid very low salary. The open communication between scientists and engineers was discouraged.

Have a clear vision about the technology development. Encourage open communication. Need to motivate employee by positive feedback.

Gratifying, Personal and Professional Growth, contribution to Humanity

I worked at Nanobiosym full-time

Pros

I recently retired for health reasons after several years of working for Nanobiosym. This experience has been profoundly gratifying for me and transformative on both a professional and personal level.
    I feel this is a part of my own personal legacy that I will leave behind on the world. I feel privileged for having worked with such a visionary Founder and amazing mission that is having such a profound impact on our planet.
    Every day for me was magical as I felt the palpable ethos in the air.
    I have several decades of experience working in a lot of major corporations and institutions and I can say without a doubt that this was one of the most gratifying and rewarding jobs I have had over the course of my entire career.

Cons

There are long hours and ambitious deadlines. The goals and expectations of quality performance are those of a world class Fortune 500 Company but the environment and culture is that of a startup. But for the folks who thrive on adventure and are passionate about making the world a better place and working in a high performance environment, I could not imagine a better place to work.

Grow Faster, This world needs you.
    Keep the magical ethos alive as you scale up and help make this World a better place for all of us and our Children

Order comes from chaos

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Nanobiosym full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Rapid, fast paced growth can seem chaotic at first
    but deeply satisfying and personally transformational when you actually grow through such life changing experiences

Cons

this company and environment is very high performance and is not good for everybody, especially those who just want a 9 to 5 job or the faint of heart

this job is for people who are highly driven to excel and want to be part of a legacy and help make the world a better place

Communicate the wonderful achievements you have made and the amazing work you are doing around the world to more people

Chaos, Chaos and more Chaos

Current Employee - Intern in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Intern in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Nanobiosym as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

It looks like a promising company with great altruistic ideas to help make a better world without compromising their values while making a business out of it.

Cons

The company has a serious management problem. The CEO is not only super micromanaging but doesn't trust the employees. Thus employees are mistreated and undervaluated. The company is constantly using eager interns to get their job done as opposed to hire properly trained personnel. The company offers a salary compensation based on the company growth: "If you make the company grow, you grow with the company" but is a farse. The company is struggling for money and that can be evident in their lack of properly trained personnel, inconsistent protocols and low pay.

Stop micromanaging and learn to give what you ask for. If you want respect, begin respecting your employees. The same with loyalty or trust. Learn to accept your mistakes and stop blaming others for your own disorganization.

Exciting and Innovative Ideas Clouded by Poor Management and Undervaluation of Employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Nanobiosym

Pros

Nanobiosym intends to advance Nanobiophysics for the betterment of some of the world's most challenging problems like energy, climate, and health. Their facilities are beautifully located in the heart of Cambridge and have the potential to grow into a world brand of tremendous impact.

Cons

Promisses of career advancement are attractive but quickly fade under improper management and an unethical approach to salary compensation. Management is ineffectual and communication channels are not well established leading to a constantly inefficient workflow and demoralized staff. Long working hours (10+ Monday-Saturday) not properly compensated. The CEO demands loyalty and trust, however, the CEO is short from being loyal or trustful to the staff.

Learn management and the ethics involved in a family-run business. Pay what the work deserves. Hire a well-paid Operations Manager that will increase productivity and cut hidden expenses from poorly established workflows and communications. Hire a properly paid HR position. Understand that loyalty and trust have to be given in order to be received.

Stimulating, Passionate, and Challenging

I have been working at Nanobiosym part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Stimulating, Inspiring, Exciting, Refreshing, Energizing,
    A team of great people with integrity and a genuine desire and passion to actually help make the world a better place

never a dull day and alot of fun with great people, culture, and values,
    intellectually stimulating, challenging
    a great work ethic, where work is more than just work

upper management and mid management are very helpful in mentoring and cultivating the professional growth of long-term employees who are loyal and dedicated to the mission of the company

Cons

tough challenges, tight schedules, hard work, intense working environment but rewarding on both a professional and personal level

not a good environment for everybody, very selective, tough to get accepted; references and background must be strong

interns have to prove themselves

keep it up