Nanosphere

Michael McGarrity

Treading water...

Current Employee - Research Associate II  in  Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Research Associate II in Northbrook, IL

Pros

Flexible hours, great co-workers, good health insurance. Requesting time off has never been an issue.

Cons

Facility is terrible, cannot keep talent, QA/QC doesn't understand how to design good quality systems, very minimal focus on improving the technology.

Get some good talent into the company and really try to make them happy enough to stay on for more than a year or two.

Growing fast

Pros

Nanosphere is growing very quickly. There was quite a bit of change at the upper management level recently and it was refreshing. There is a lot of positive energy and success is celebrated. Opportunities for growth are certainly there for those who work hard and are committed. This is a great time to be working here.

Cons

It is a small company, so resources may be limited, but given the growth I see this as an opportunity not as problem.

Very low morale

Pros

Somewhat flexible in work hour scheduling

Cons

Micromanagement and very very poor management is the norm here. Upper management is either unaware (bad) or aware and doing nothing about it (bad). Resources (for example printers that work) are usually unavailable. The IT department either outright refuses to fix anything, tells us to fix it ourselves, or fixes it very very slowly. She (IT) is usually playing on the internet. Favoritism (a new employee gets three promotions in three years, while good hard working employees that have been with the company longer (4-9 years) get passed for promotions).
    Training, as mentioned before, is nonexistent. Sure, we sign off that we read poorly written SOPs but no real training programs exist. This company has no operations officers (no real ones--the procurement guy is called an operations person but really does not have visibility or expertise to oversee all operations). We are in the dark ages in regards to software for efficiency so--Our file cabinets stick and are overflowing with paperwork.
    No matching on 401k!!!

It may be too late. All employees expect some issues and will adjust, however the situation here is dire. The review from Feb 12 was obviously a fake one put up by PR and Marketing.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst supervisor I have ever had.

Current Employee - Manufacturing Tech  in  Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Tech in Northbrook, IL

Pros

Pay is OK. Not over worked. I have only been there a few months so my review might not be the same as some of the people who have been there longer.

Cons

The training is terrible.
    On my first day I must have read over 25 procedures. No one is going to remember what they read when you do it like that.
     I was shown how to run a machine once and I was expected to know it completely after that. If you ask a certain supervisor a question he just starts twitching and then runs out of the room.
    I have walked in numerous times and heard the supervisors gossiping about other employees.

There are others who are way more deserving to be in charge.

No, no, Nanosphere!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

Pros

To get a pay check

Cons

No communication from upper management.
    No one really knows what's going on except for upper management.
    People's perception of you becomes reality.

Turnover the reigns to someone else

Too much opacity and micro-management for a medium-size company.

Pros

Some employees/managers care very much about the scientific process and producing the best products possible.

Cons

Micro-managing, loss of productivity due to middle management problems, too many people there to draw a paycheck or to lord power over others. Lots of time wasted on communication issues.

Be more aware of interpersonal relationships of middle management. Foster more career advancement opportunities and peer-review of management.

Worked for Nanosphere? Contribute to the Community!