Nanosphere

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael McGarrity

Growing fast

ProsNanosphere is growing very quickly. There was quite a bit of change at the upper management level recently and it was refreshing. There is a lot of positive energy and success is celebrated. Opportunities for growth are certainly there for those who work hard and are committed. This is a great time to be working here.

ConsIt is a small company, so resources may be limited, but given the growth I see this as an opportunity not as problem.

Very low morale

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSomewhat flexible in work hour scheduling

ConsMicromanagement and very very poor management is the norm here. Upper management is either unaware (bad) or aware and doing nothing about it (bad). Resources (for example printers that work) are usually unavailable. The IT department either outright refuses to fix anything, tells us to fix it ourselves, or fixes it very very slowly. She (IT) is usually playing on the internet. Favoritism (a new employee gets three promotions in three years, while good hard working employees that have been with the company longer (4-9 years) get passed for promotions).
    Training, as mentioned before, is nonexistent. Sure, we sign off that we read poorly written SOPs but no real training programs exist. This company has no operations officers (no real ones--the procurement guy is called an operations person but really does not have visibility or expertise to oversee all operations). We are in the dark ages in regards to software for efficiency so--Our file cabinets stick and are overflowing with paperwork.
    No matching on 401k!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementIt may be too late. All employees expect some issues and will adjust, however the situation here is dire. The review from Feb 12 was obviously a fake one put up by PR and Marketing.

Worst supervisor I have ever had.

Manufacturing Tech (Current Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsPay is OK. Not over worked. I have only been there a few months so my review might not be the same as some of the people who have been there longer.

ConsThe training is terrible.
    On my first day I must have read over 25 procedures. No one is going to remember what they read when you do it like that.
     I was shown how to run a machine once and I was expected to know it completely after that. If you ask a certain supervisor a question he just starts twitching and then runs out of the room.
    I have walked in numerous times and heard the supervisors gossiping about other employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are others who are way more deserving to be in charge.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No, no, Nanosphere!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsTo get a pay check

ConsNo communication from upper management.
    No one really knows what's going on except for upper management.
    People's perception of you becomes reality.

Advice to Senior ManagementTurnover the reigns to someone else

Too much opacity and micro-management for a medium-size company.

ProsSome employees/managers care very much about the scientific process and producing the best products possible.

ConsMicro-managing, loss of productivity due to middle management problems, too many people there to draw a paycheck or to lord power over others. Lots of time wasted on communication issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more aware of interpersonal relationships of middle management. Foster more career advancement opportunities and peer-review of management.

Worked for Nanosphere? Contribute to the Community!