Naperville Public Library

CEO

Great place to work

Former Employee - Shelver I
    Former Employee - Shelver I

I worked at Naperville Public Library part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly environment, real drive to help patrons. Can't say enough about the staff, and the city has a great love for the library. Pay was well above other libraries in the area, scheduling was flexible to my needs. I felt like my expertise was valued even when it fell outside my job description.

Cons

I can't really blame the library for the difficulty I had moving up to a higher position, they have an amazing number of applicants to every position, and they do a fair job finding the best, internal or external, candidate.

Great hourly rate if enjoy monotonous work

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant I in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant I in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Naperville Public Library part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Set weekly schedule. Competitive hourly pay rate with yearly reviews. Paid vacation and sick time. Clear cut job responsibilities. Primarily desk work, but you will be moving every hour.

Cons

Advancement is limited. Not much upward mobility. Limited days off in the summer and around holidays. Little information shared between departments.

NPL has a great environment and truly appreciates its employees.

Former Employee - Circulation Assistant I in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Circulation Assistant I in Naperville, IL

I worked at Naperville Public Library part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employees are encouraged to contribute to the betterment of the library, regardless of how "high up" one is in the library.
    Patrons and employees are amazing.
    Benefits are unbelievable for part time positions and get better for full time employees.

Cons

It can be hard to move up because of how competitive each job position is.
    There are also many changes taking place in the structure and values of the library, which may or may not be good for the library (it's too soon to tell at this point).

Terrible Supervisor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Naperville Public Library part-time

Pros

Time off, sick days, paid holidays, nice break room, mostly friendly coworkers...

Cons

They hire so many part time staff and not enough full time workers which is horrible in my opinion. There are also way too many procedures and standards that it's hard to keep up with everything when I am only part time. You're not allowed to work off the clock even though you almost have to to get everything done on time. There are ridiculous expectations too and I feel as though work is not evenly distributed among coworkers (example, I'm working on several projects and tasks while my coworker is simply reading a book for pleasure), there's also an uptight supervisor who is very nit-picky about very minor things and she is just negative and rude towards staff. There is upper management who seem to have an absurd amount of meetings to "discuss" things, however -- changes occur in the library as slow as glaciers. My supervisor is very forgetful and doesn't reply to e-mails when I have great ideas, I am not recognized for my hard work, my dept. supervisor is VERY detached from our daily duties and doesn't have a clue as to what is really even going on. They will ask other coworkers to do tasks that were actually assigned to me because they don't take the time to even find out who is responsible for what because they are forgetful... It's awful. Everyone complains about my supervisor too and everyone is always whispering about them. It's obvious that no one really likes this person and it doesn't make for a friendly work atmosphere. We all wish they would be sent to another department which is really sad.

First off, have some tact. Don't stomp on our excitement in this negative way. Listen to your employees for once and let change happen rather than having the need to discuss it 500 times. It's ridiculous. How about allowing staff to fill out formal complaints about their supervisors? I sure would like it. I think we should be allowed to evaluate our bosses because none of us like our boss.

Mixed bag

Current Employee - Associate in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Naperville Public Library

Pros

Regular employees are good people. Top management is out of touch, but review and efforts to restructure management are underway. Benefits are better than most public libraries; pay is competitive. Adapting to budget cuts is being handled carefully. Some promotion from within does occur.

Cons

Non-profit organization is being run as if it were corporate. Back of the house operations need improvement, reconfiguration. Atmosphere of uncertainty regarding job security. Website is not appealing, difficult to navigate. Vacancy in management staff positions does not invite many candidates--implication is this is not a good company to work for.

Too many teams, too many meetings for management. Training of staff for routing duties is inconsistent. Procedures for communication between departments needs to be better formalized.