Napoleon Perdis Reviews

Updated March 16, 2015
10 reviews filtered by
2.1
Napoleon Perdis

Great for a first time position

I worked at Napoleon Perdis (Less than a year)

Pros

Exciting and creative environment.

Cons

Lack of training and at time demotivating. Lack of career advancement.

Advice to Management

Take time to train staff.

Where everything is downsizing except egos.

I worked at Napoleon Perdis

Pros

-You learn an immense amount about the cosmetic industry (although you don't realize until afterwards how incorrectly things are done here). If you want to learn, you will learn (but not by someone teaching you- you learn by being thrown into the fire and figuring things out as you go).
    -Access to decent cosmetic products.

Cons

Where does one begin?

The man:
    Napoleon himself is the main problem about this company. His ego hardly fits through the doors of the offices-he has delusions about how famous/successful he actually is and thus, you will be treated as the "peasant" that you are. (In case you are wondering, he actually does refer to people as peasants). He is also extremely loopy and indecisive, meaning constant/unnecessary change of direction in the general company strategy at all times.

The company:
    There is an overall company-wide culture of fear and paranoia, where you are constantly reminded that your computers are being monitored and the cameras are always watching.
    - Each department is required to "man the desks" in case...no one is really sure in case what. (In case there is a fire? In case someone calls? No one is sure why.) But If there are 2 people in your department, one person must always be at the desk or you will actually be reprimanded.
    -You learn a new level of micromangement when it is expected that you detail every minute of your day in an "end of day" report to your immediate superior.

The Pay:
    One word: TERRIBLE.

Overall, this is the place for you if you love being underpaid and undervalued as a professional. Because- that's what everyone loves right?
     It's not like the company is growing, so they won't be hiring anytime soon.

Advice to Management

Value your people and understand that successful companies are not run by fear and paranoia.

Don't work here

I worked at Napoleon Perdis

Pros

The only benefit to working here is the free makeup. There is no other reason anyone would choose to work here.

Cons

Low compensation for all positions. No raises. No paid parking. Dangerous neighborhood. Complete lack of appreciation for employees. Upper management sabotages employees' work, then blames them when things go wrong. Sick day policy is ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Lead by example rather than with scare tactics. Have more realistic expectations of your employees. Remember that you're still unknown to most of the world.

I Loved the product line, one of the best and was fabulous to work with not only for myself but customers.

Former Employee - Sales & Education Executive

I worked at Napoleon Perdis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My immediate mentor was very supportive, great manager. I was able to emulate her professionalism in working with other peers and other managers. She was trustworthy and insightful when it came to business and events. The product was superior as well as the packaging. When I needed time off they were very gracious and though their benefits were through the roof for premiums they had a great health care provider and 401k.

Cons

There was no room for growth within the US as we were told over and over in our managers meetings. As a Sales Executive for Napoleon it was very challenging to sell a product with very stiff competition with little marketing from the Company itself. It was sad when they decided to go in another direction and laid us all off.

6. Sales and Education Executive

Former Employee - Sales & Education Executive in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Sales & Education Executive in Hollywood, CA

I worked at Napoleon Perdis full-time

Pros

Amazing products. Great pay. Good benefits.

Cons

Nothing bad to say about this company.

Corporate Sweatshop

I worked at Napoleon Perdis full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really amazing colleagues and a good opportunity to learn about business in general.

Cons

Long hours, shady business practices, executives suck, high turnover rate, and an environment that constantly makes you aware that you can and will be replaced. While you can learn a lot about modern business practices and the makeup industry, working for this company is really just a waste of time and patience.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and actually take the time to train them properly.

Overly Demanding, Stressful, Not Worth It

I worked at Napoleon Perdis full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't think of too many good reasons if you have experience with other prestige lines in the Beauty Industry. But if you get in good with upper management, they MIGHT promote you after a year or so. But I've watched several others that have been with the company for a while get the opportunity to take up more responsibility and not.get paid for it.

Cons

Like most other lines, there's lots of politics, which is kind of expected. They expect a lot of you, and don't want to pay you or treat you with respect. Majority of management is very judgemental, childish and uneducated. Makes it hard to work for someone that treats you like a child, is unqualified for their position and doesn't respect you as a human being. I've watched managers talk about employees, only dictate what needs to be done, but do nothing themselves and also snap a several employees in public (including swearing, belittling and pointing).

Advice to Management

If you want to have a successful company in the US, learn how to treat your employees as your most valued asset. The culture of your company is a lawsuit waiting to happen. There are many disgruntled employees (former and current) that are very bitter and unhappy with the way you do business. Ultimately, this is slandering.your name to the public, that if anything, needs to hear more good than bad.

In three words, A RIDICULOUS company.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Hollywood, CA

I worked at Napoleon Perdis full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Experience working in a makeup related company, being around some level of glamour, exposure to different areas of the brand marketing and development, pay is okay for the positions.

Cons

Napoleon himself is a HUGE problem. The HR is a huge problem, nobody seems happy, your job hangs on little things like not placing a doily under a teacup when serving it. Napoleon (the actual man) finds small reasons to fire girls left and right, they have a huge turnover. Most agencies won't even work with this company because of him and the way he runs his company. He is not all he hypes himself up to be.

Advice to Management

Be clear about what you want, communicate, treat candidates with respect, run your business like a business, inform Napoleon of his lack of education in hiring and workers he "likes", be more organized on the stock and inter-office forefront, stop hiring rude people, don't act like the company is as big as you'd like it to be yet, I can assure you it is VERY unknown in the U.S. You're still getting started....

One day at a time

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Napoleon Perdis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Every day is different
    Beautiful cosmetics
    Well known brand

Cons

Serious lack of company direction, lots of last minute changes.
    Can be a very frustrating environment to work in.

Advice to Management

Don't expect everyone to be good at everything! People have skills that are specific to them.
    It doesn't mean that they should need to constantly change to fit whims and ideas.

11. Completely devoid of emotional intelligence

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at Napoleon Perdis full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong sales team, overall in good financial shape

Cons

I have worked within the industry for a while and heard the murmurs about their culture however assumed because I am quite driven that it would apply more to disengaged people. It ended up being terrible, completely micro managed, EOD emails must be sent every day with every task and meeting you attended, regularly review scan passes to see when and how often you leave the building, I got an email from my manager and HR when I was 5 minutes late. Very aggressive and hostile environment and the job was also framed to me very differently as what it turned out to be. They are too detail oriented with no real strategic direction or planning. The attitude of senior management is that you are a cost

Advice to Management

The problems with culture and the management are based on rather large egos, I don't honestly see how it could be improved from what I saw.