Nasty Gal

Updated February 6, 2015
Updated February 6, 2015
2.3

Sophia Amoruso

Haters gonna Hate... Likers gonna Like....

I have been working at Nasty Gal

Pros

Great people, great benefits, dogs at work, relaxed company culture, exciting to be part of such an amazing new company.

Cons

Being a semi new and fast growing company there are always cons to deal with... people need to go in knowing that Nasty Gal is a work in progress and growing everyday. It appears that a lot of the people who post here about Nasty Gal are the ones that need to go work for a very cut and dry regimented company. You need to be able to go with the flow but still kick butt doing it.
    Nasty Gal has a "No A holes" Policy... LOVE this and hopefully we can continue to clean house until we are one big happy, no a hole family! ;)

Listen and watch the quiet ones... Sooo many amazing and gifted people working here that do not have the Timmy "LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!" personality. Possibly shadow in different departments...
    Talk the Talk AND Walk the Walk in all that you do! <3

The Devil Does Not Wear Prada… She Wears Jeffery Campbell

I worked at Nasty Gal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The euphoria of thinking you are a part of something special… but it does't last.

Cons

Over employed leaders who are only out for themselves. Lack of communication, respect and involvement between LA and KY location. LA treats the KY location as if they have outsourced to a 3rd world country in KY. KY leadership is immature, unqualified, self serving and hire friends and mistresses… not an empowering environment. Two layoffs during my tenure with more to come for sure. No work/life balance unless you are Sr Leadership. They show up late and leave early regularly. Do what I say, not what I do. System upgrades are at least a year behind schedule and failing miserably. The impact to employee moral is equal to the impact to customers. Take a look at customer reviews…. they match employee reviews on this site. I wish that I could rate this company with zero stars.

I gave lots of feedback while I was employed at Nasty Gal… all of it fell on deaf ears. I am not delusional enough to think they would listen to any advice in this forum… much less read it in the first place.

My advice is to any potential candidates - Run, don't walk away from this company. Save yourself the inevitable soul crush.

A great place to work, but not a well oiled machine

I have been working at Nasty Gal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people, great benefits, dogs at work, relaxed company culture, stock options, great office, exciting.

Cons

Slow to promote, many are frustrated with the turmoil.

Things are getting better.

Nasty People who lie to get you there then treat you like dirt when you're here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Nasty Gal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

At first you think you're surrounded by some really cool people, but after some time you realize everyone is out for themselves. This is not a team environment and your co-workers will actually be mean to you to get you to quit if you don't fit in or are different/have a different way of doing things. If you go to HR about this, nothing happens because this is how upper management operates as well. This was evident when the Head of Planning quit as well as the Head Merchant, which has actually had two people come and go from this job in my short time here. If you do have a different opinion than the leadership team, don't say anything because you might get fired just like the last 3 merchants, one of which was the first ever employee. Nice to work for such a loyal company. This is a great place to work if you don't mind working long hours and being underpaid for the amount of work you do.

Cons

First of all, the recruiting team isn't honest with you during the interview process about the sad environment and paints this place out to be rosy. They would never tell you that so many people have quit after only being there for a few months because they can't take working in such an terrible place. They also seem to care more about what you look like than whether or not you actually have the skills to do the job so you can only imagine what kind of people work here. Its also no secret that if you walk by them, you can hear them talking about people. Full of cool kid wannabes, but lacks actual smart people to help the company to meet their goals. There are no more parties or fun stuff that used to happen when I first got there. The kitchen used to be filled with snacks and treats which seemed to have dried up. The location is good if you don't mind walking a mile from the parking structure to the office. Seems they are too cheap to care about employee safety to actually pay for onsite parking. The financials have also been shaky for a while which is why they announced we have to lease out part of our brand new office and have had several layoffs. The benefits are also nothing to brag about. The medical plan is expensive for what you pay for and the yearly increases you get aren't enough to cover the increased cost of the plans, so its not like getting a raise at all. The 401k is good, but probably just a matter of time before that gets taken away. This is not worth putting up with everything else imo.

You make us all go to meetings where you act like you care, but nothing ever gets done to change anything. Look at the people you hire for who they are and how they can help instead of caring if they are cool enough to be a Nasty Gal.

More about hype than professional substance.

I worked at Nasty Gal full-time

Pros

Short work day; the office is empty by 6:30.

Cons

Poor morale among staff; no strong middle-management on buying team. No one asks the tough questions; everyone would rather act cool and laid back than affect real change. Lots of talk among industry people in the know about Nasty Gal being a sinking ship and how CEO is unpredictable.

Invest in quality management, propagate an honest environment where constructive criticism is encouraged.

Sad

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shepherdsville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shepherdsville, KY

I worked at Nasty Gal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There used to be some pros, but now there really aren't any. Used to appreciate the employees and their sacrifices. New management deems most people beneath them unless you are serving their purpose then they are likely to steel your ideas and claim them as their own to make themselves look fresh and innovative. Highly unethical for sure.

Cons

Leadership, culture, all down hill. No one takes ownership of their own responsibilities and takes forever to get things actually done. Thanks for the discount... but how bout making true investments in your KY backbone.

Clean house and place people in key positions that share the original passion of the ceo, not these number crunchers who only see their bonus and betterment. Sofia, you still want to be innovative and do things different and better...start here. You have amazing employees in KY who love their jobs and are great at them. Invest in them, their families and their futures and you will be glad you did. There's some forward thinking in an industry such as this.

Immature leadership team who didn't know what to do with all these really talented people... Poor HR team!

Former Employee - Tech in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Tech in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Nasty Gal full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Cool office space. Cheap snacks and bad coffee if that's what you're into.

Cons

Very junior HR team... Leadership/ Management fail to innovate and shift resources/ priorities constantly!

No a - hole policy is a joke. The company often executes on the wrong initiatives and little details that nobody cares and fails to deliver what customers really want.

A Nasty Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Nasty Gal full-time (less than a year)

Pros

beer fridays, middle of dtla

Cons

Like every other Nasty Gal fangirl out there, it was my dream to work at the company. They offered me 15% less than what I was making at my previous company, so they compensated by offering me shares in stock (little did they mention that there was a vesting period). Naïve and head over heels, I just took it. I was miserable after the first month.

No leadership in the company, let alone the department. There basically was no structure, no direction, no set standard to follow, which should have been the main focus of each department. Obviously, the company was more concerned about the appearance of the company rather than the actual people working in it. There were many individuals working so hard because they wanted to move ahead and get recognized, but there was no room for growth due to the fact that the company was hiring upper management from the outside and not promoting from within. This was the main cause for high voluntary turnover rate.

My analogy of the company structure was that it was top heavy- outside upper management filling in roles and stepping on the entry/mid-level employees who were just trying to squeeze their way up, getting stretched too thin. It gets exhausting. It was a cold war. I've learned two critical lessons from working here. First is knowing how a company should not run and second, fake it 'til you make it.

I now work at a company that does not have the aesthetic appeal and glamorous facade as Nasty Gal does, but has the basic elements of a great company- a set structure, upper management who really knows what they're doing and gives good direction, coworkers who actually know what the term teamwork is, and most importantly, knowing the value of employees (this shows in my paycheck).

It doesn't take an ample amount of senior chiefs/directors/managers/social media presence to make a company successful. It takes leaders who are willing to teach and workers who are willing to learn.

bummer.....

I worked at Nasty Gal

Pros

Lots of parties, good snacks

Cons

I have never been around so many talented, inspiring people who are held back and disrepected. Success is measured by not only the amount of money a company makes, but the type of culture it maintains and reputation it creates. To hear from people who still work there, that they hate going to work, they are undermined constantly and as a result are disconnected from the brand is truly sad. Nasty Gal had so much potential to be a great brand, but kinda blew it. Not only losing great employees who built the brand, but lots of customers along the way.

Listen to the people, they are the ones making everything happen.

#nastygaldolayoffsbetter

I have been working at Nasty Gal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nasty Gal was one of the most exciting brands for the past couple of years. It was new, fun, young, hip and had one of the greatest rags to riches story. An unknown company with a young and beautiful founder who is a college drop out. A lot of the employees who joined in the earlier years say that, it was one of the most exciting years of their professional careers. Opinions were heard, they were considered shakers & movers. Everyone had a chance to leave their mark. Culture at the company was at its peak. And it was something that everyone looked forward to.

Cons

Fast forward to the present day. Nasty Gal recently had its 3rd round of lay offs within the year. The biggest one yet, with almost 30 people getting laid off. The CEO cowardly called the lay offs "conversations" which are all part of her strategy to keep the company afloat. Forcing us to trust her, and her leadership team. One of the most narcissistic and depressing speeches that she could have done especially after a big lay off. But its ok, since Nasty Gal is her company and we are all working to further her success, popularity and growing number of magazine covers.

People were let go because they were negative. They talked poorly about the company. They expressed their opinion to HR, whose leader has become a typical YES woman, who can never make her own decision since she is controlled by upper management. The title Chief People & Culture was a mistake. She focused on processes and paperwork. But didn't care about people nor culture. She actually destroyed whatever positive culture that Nasty Gal had. The same goes with her team of gossiping, giggling and youtube watching group of people who are really out of touch with the employees. Providing benefits and perks that nobody cared about or wanted. By the way, its not true that HR is the only department not affected by the lay offs. They did let go of one person. The only one who cared, worked a lot and who actually came to work happy and promoting one of the BEST culture experiences to the company. I guess he made everyone in HR looked bad.

It can still work. Nasty Gal can survive and become profitable again. If we can review the management hires from big named companies like Lululemon, Barney's, Urban Outfitters, etc. Executives with salaries that can pay 5 people. But is doing the work of half an employee. Stop spending so much money on extra stuff like offsite meetings in Cabo, superficial offices that cost so much money to build and maintain, more importantly come back to the original business model when we did not have debt and was always profitable. Not to mention, culture and employee happiness was at an all time high.