Nasty Gal
www.nastygal.com Los Angeles, CA 150 to 499 Employees

Nasty Gal Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Sophia Amoruso

You're going to learn a lot here!

I have been working at Nasty Gal full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you want experience getting your hands dirty in the creative fashion industry, NG is the place to be. You'll have to not only work hard, but be a smart worker. This place is truly the future of young women's contemporary fashion. It's exciting! Yoga every Tuesday and Thursday, Mind/Body/Soul Workshops by HR and plenty of snacks and internal events to keep you functioning. We have fashion and entertainment figures visit every so often, which is exciting exposure.

ConsYou can't be afraid to work hard - late hours, crazy calendar, etc. The only things that are constant here are change, creativity and a sense of humor.

Advice to Senior ManagementFacilitate and embrace growth within (which has been happening!). We have smart and intuitive people here at every level. Let's use people and time even more effectively and efficiently.

There's no such thing as "growing" in this company, unless you are friends w/ the CEO

Product Development (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nasty Gal full-time for more than a year

ProsFree snacks, nice events like "beer and wine friday" which kind of disappeared once the new CFO came on board. The people you work close with are great, those on your team. However, all cross functioning teams have no sense of communication. Pretty laid back, and awesome location.

ConsThe marketing team has done an AMAZING job making this place seem like it's "the best place to work". It's really not: no growth, no recognition, below industry standard salary, no yearly raises, and poorly given bonuses. They hired/recruited 100's of people last year 2013 and laid off 40% of their employees this year. But somehow this company is doing incredible. You'll definitely not get the starting salary you deserve, but work hard only to not get recognized for what you do. But don't worry, you get free snacks, that big office, and perks instead! Words from the COO. This place is a joke. Amazing hard working people left before the lay off, and I'm sure more will go. If not, I hope they make the changes that place needs. Other than that, this is a more expensive Forever 21. Horrible quality clothes.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, and acknowledge their work. Learn how to properly connect all cross functioning teams. Communication is horrible!

Love it here!

I have been working at Nasty Gal full-time for more than a year

ProsThis is one of the best places I've ever worked. The "no a-holes" policy is for real and so is our leadership. Everyone is so nice and works together really well. I've been here almost two years and as with any start-up there have been some ups and downs, but nothing that ever made it difficult to be here. Such a great culture. I hope I never have to leave!

ConsHonestly can't think of any...

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. We're all proud to call you our managers.

Best job I've ever had!

I have been working at Nasty Gal full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEveryone here is super cool, we all get along well, and work hard. Everyone works hard toward a common goal - building something that's never been built before. The CEO & Head of HR are super invested in the company and most of all, the people. They talk about wanting it to be the best place to work ever, and so far for me, it has been.

ConsThere is a lot of change all the time - nothing ever seems permanent, which not everyone can handle well, but it can be exciting and it definitely keeps things interesting.

Hiring and promoting only friends and unqualified nobodies since '07

Customer Care (Former Employee)

I worked at Nasty Gal full-time for more than a year

ProsFree snacks and parties, it looks good to have this place on your resume. That's about it.

ConsLike many of the other reviewers, it was near impossible to actually get ahead in this company without previously befriending the top tier employees and CEO. Insufferable company "kool-aid" that lures impressionable and naive FIDM graduates into thinking they are going to get a good deal here. Low pay, no encouragement, and everything moves and changes at a whirlwind pace that leaves everyone wondering if anyone is actually thinking and analyzing the constant shifts. This place a is a ruse and they do NOT care about their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow more encouragement when someone does a good job, treat everyone equally regardless of how many friends they have within the company.

A company with no clearly defined direction on meeting stated goals.

Marketing (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Nasty Gal full-time for less than a year

ProsNice new office building, Some pleasant, well intended people. Location downtown is functionally desirable. Free snacks and drinks, at least for now.

ConsIncompetent and arrogant leaders in key areas. The brand is losing it's freshness and mass appeal and leadership appear to be in denial over it. Changes need to be made in order for this start-up to succeed. Recently moved into an enormously large and expensive new office space which they cannot afford. Company has started laying off employees to save money. This is a very bad sign.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to manage your people, there is little to no communication from senior management to the employees. Senior Management sends out a weekly "We're so cool and everything's great" email while the company continues to operate in the red.

Don't believe the hype

I have been working at Nasty Gal full-time for more than a year

ProsThis company has phenomenal PR (ie. social media fan fare) and a die hard cult following which is fun to be able to say you work here and also great for the resume..but that's about all. The new office space looks as nice as the photos in the profile, and as empty and quiet as the photos as well.

ConsPR and hype can't mask what's really going on here. You drink the kool-aid for the first few months working here, then start to realize it's all just smoke and mirrors. Terrible leadership, some extremely condescending managers and employees, and people that try too hard to be "cool". There are of course a handful of people who are fantastic, super smart and well intentioned, but they are probably soon to leave.

I have never worked in a place where so many people talked so poorly about their co-workers. There is a complete lack of teamwork and willingness to help each other and work toward a common goal...but there really is not common goal at all, because the company lacks any sense of direction and has no clearly defined goals.

The company has an extremely high turn over, which some say is normal, but when you start losing some of your best and most qualified employees, something is wrong. They also recently laid off employees in both LA and in their Kentucky fulfillment center, which is not a good sign.

If you are looking for a career path and a chance to grow within a company, you shouldn't look here. Talking to HR about it won't help you either, they will just smile and nod and seem like they care, but their concern for your concerns is just as shallow our Instagram career account.

In all, the "philosophies" (No A-holes, People are Important, own it..) of Nasty Gal are no indication of what it's really like to work here. And as deserved as their initial hype and success may be, they haven't been able to follow up with proper leadership and a good work environment. It's sad, this place tries hard, but it's just not what its worked up to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Care about the people. Find more doers, less lookers and talkers.

Stay Away

Customer Care (Former Employee)
Shepherdsville, KY

I worked at Nasty Gal full-time for more than a year

ProsNice co-workers, good vending machines

ConsThere is no clear definition as to where this company is going. The fulfillment center has a senior staff that is patronizing, condescending, and rude to employees. If you are ready to suck up to the manages.you may have a chance for advancement. Otherwise, you are out of luck at this place. Forget merit increases, these do not occur.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit listening to yourself talk. You're not that important.

Jumping on the chance to move to another company ASAP!

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nasty Gal full-time for more than a year

Prosgreat group of people. very talented. events and office activities are fun. snacks all day. great new office.

Consno employee appreciation. unless you are one of the select few that is close to the CEO or close to the friends of the CEO, then you'd be guaranteed job security and promotion. salaries are way below market value. human resources is controlled by management and doesn't really listen to employees or care about them.

Advice to Senior Managementhopeless. unless they genuinely care for staff and listen to what staff needs or wants, then there can be change.

The Brand is contagious but the office kool-aid is awful!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Nasty Gal full-time

ProsThe brand is intriguing and draws the attention of many.
The new office space looks amazing and the array of snacks is pleasing.

ConsExtremely green!
It's about who you know, not what you know.
Many people in roles that they are not capable of fulfilling.
Top heavy and not enough doers.
No vision to drive the company to actually achieve forecasted revenue.
Lots of ideas executed without any sense of ROI.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting/hiring people who are not capable of doing the tasks at hand.
Work on providing the training or tools to help your employees learn and grow.
It is okay to empower employees to get the job done but most of the hires need hand-holding. See beyond the circles of non-sense spoken by those who are incompetent; they know how to talk the talk but are they really walking the walk?
Make smart decisions not sporadic; sporadic isn't considered a KPI.

Worked for Nasty Gal? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nasty Gal reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nasty Gal CEO Sophia Amoruso. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Nasty Gal employees.