Natera Reviews

Updated September 9, 2014
Updated September 9, 2014
2.9

Matthew Rabinowitz, PhD

Helpful coworkers but the management was lacking

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Carlos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

I worked at Natera for less than a year

Pros

Free catering lunch (salad bar, main course, and fruits) was provided every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday (however now it's said that on Fridays they only serve the salad bar). Coffee vending machine and unlimited tea supply. Personal fridge to store our own food. Gym with varied equipments. Pingpong table and flat screen TV in the entertainment room for all employees to lounge in or to refresh momentarily during personal breaks or after work. two work-station treadmills in the office. Parking structure, so no worries getting in and out of the car when it rains. Temps get paid overtime. Flexible work hours. Commonly, people come 8-5 or 9-6 but some come very early and leave in the afternoon where others come later than 10 but stay up until 9 pm.

Cons

Management was lacking (which is pretty common for start-ups?). The accounting team had to come on weekends about at least twice a month and there is no OT for permanent employees. Working remotely on weekends is possible if you're a permanent but the controller mostly prefers having the team come in physically anyways. They definitely need hiring more people to balance the work volume, for the accounting teams at least.

Good company, with a few complaints

I have been working at Natera

Pros

Good work/life balance, interesting problems to work on. Perks are nice. Office culture is fairly laid back and there is very little pressure to work crazy hours. Overall company growth is definitely on the right track.

Cons

Feels understaffed, so constantly playing catch up on issues, rather than dealing with long term solutions. Focus of the company seems to change on a weekly basis, resulting in lots of unnecessary delays and useless work.

Try to focus on one thing and stick with it to completion.

Great Science, Disorganized Management

I have been working at Natera full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great science. Lots of young people.
    Perks: catering lunch 3 days a week, on site gym, nice and new kitchen.

Cons

Very disorganized management. Don't have that many opportunities to move to other teams/ departments. Repetitive work if you work in Production.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very disappointing.

Former Employee - Sample Accessioning  in  San Carlos, CA
    Former Employee - Sample Accessioning in San Carlos, CA

I worked at Natera full-time for less than a year

Pros

For such a great product, I would think they would be better run. Free lunch. Very laid back, "young" culture. Nice people.

Cons

No real leadership. Understaffed and badly staffed. No one I talked to in my department were there over a year signalling high turnover

Get some help. Get some real managers with real managerial experience. Try for a more professional environment. Laid back is nice, but there's a limit.

Disorganized & poor management

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Natera full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great science, interesting enough work, some really smart & fun coworkers, location close to 101.

Cons

I don't know where to start. Difficult to call it a tech company when all the important decisions are made by sales & marketing teams. At a given time, there are more random project managers in a room than people who actually do the work. I don't understand what qualifies more than half of the management team to be at their positions. Micromanagement of all sorts. Rude and unprofessional behavior common.

Replace half of the upper management, start hiring people who are actually qualified and have technical backgrounds (rather than random MBA's fresh out of school), have a clear direction.

worst place I've ever worked

I worked at Natera full-time for less than a year

Pros

free parking. decent snacks ,some smart/nice people

Cons

Executive team is a disaster. The CEO, while brilliant, has a style that can best be described as MBS(management by screaming). The office lacks a professionalism that it desperately needs. Company is solving an interesting problem, but given the chaos that reigns,it's hard to be optimistic about the company

Upper management could benefit from some training . It would be great if the office could resemble a professional environment versus the hallways of a junior high school

Great science, talented people, slightly disorganized

I have been working at Natera full-time for more than a year

Pros

Dedicated, fun, talented colleagues
    Visionary management
    Excellent boss
    Product which is, literally, life-altering for our customers
    Catered lunches three days per week, gym, snacks

Cons

Slightly disorganized, but focused -- it's a tough arena to work in, so I completely understand (I've worked in this sector for many years now), and the chaos is often creative!
    Training opportunities could be better
    Geography of office makes it hard to get to know people (we're currently split into two distinct areas)
    Could do with more social mixing events (we used to have Friday BBQs -- I hope that comes back!)

My immediate manager is great -- very trusting & flexible, thoroughly decent person (his boss, too)
    Senior management could spend some time getting to know people -- I know it's difficult on our growth trajectory, but it would be nice to see the CEO from time to time (but office geography is a problem, as I noted)
    Offer opportunities for training & personal growth
    More social events, please!

Interesting work with startup environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Carlos, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

I have been working at Natera full-time for less than a year

Pros

Interesting company that's doing meaningful work. The biggest 'Pro' is the people that work here. Very smart, nice, and accepting. Nice office and central location. There are the standard perks (lunches, snacks, parking, parties, etc) established. The company is still 'small' and so there's a huge opportunity to make your mark.

Cons

Like most startups, it's a young company with young workforce. The result is that leadership is somewhat lacking but this is changing for the better as the company grows. You should be the type that wants to work hard towards a goal that actually matters. There is an *intense* need for more meeting rooms.

Err on the side of keeping things positive whenever possible. You are so close to having the right balance.

Baits you in with perks, but then you realize it's a hot mess!

I have been working at Natera full-time for less than a year

Pros

The biotechnology used is innovating and has helped many people conceive healthy babies that are low risk for the conditions we screen for through various tests.
    You get benefits that are cheaper than most. You also get food catered three days a week.

Cons

I just wish that people took there job seriously. Most of the time people are walking off the job to take paid "smoke breaks". It's also very cliquey, seems like everyone has got there friend, cousin, sister, mother and brother a job here. For the most part people are friendly but one thing I don't like is most people dress like bums off the street. Everyone knows if you don't care how you look you, then surely you don't care about doing your job! Its also unstructured because it s a start up.

My boss is straightforward and lets us know there expectations. Cant be mad at that!

This place is okay......

I have been working at Natera full-time for less than a year

Pros

*Catered food three times a week.

* Very friendly coworkers/community

* The science/technology is amazing, and is reshaping the medical field

* Good supervisor who is flexible, and understanding (in my case)

* Decent working hours/work schedule (in my case)

* Easy commute from my home.

So far, I have experienced an overall chill work environment. Some days are definitely busier than others, but that is expected at most jobs worked.

Cons

* Poor management

*Disorganization (mostly linked to poor management)

My supervisor is great, however, the management system overall needs revamping. I believe that there are too many people who may not have been ready for a management position taking charge of things. This creates global disorganization, affecting all divisions/teams. There are what you would say "too many hands in the cookie jar". Although the company's growth and business seems positive, the poor management is truly hindering the company short term, and long term.

There needs to be a better system in place that will weed out those who are not yet capable of taking on management roles....This is very crucial for any company..Poor management= Good, disgruntled workers leaving + poor/slacker workers staying.

Worked for Natera? Contribute to the Community!