Natera

Updated January 22, 2015
3.4

Matthew Rabinowitz, PhD

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

High energy, fast moving company

Current Employee - Director in San Carlos, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Carlos, CA

I have been working at Natera

Pros

Natera is growing very quickly, has cutting edge science, their products are making a big difference to patients, it's a data driven environment, and has huge potential.

Cons

It's stressful. Expectations are very high - this cuts both ways.

If you can find a way to keep up the rate of growth and product development with a bit more lifestyle balance, that would be lovely.

Dynamic company shaping the Bio Tech industry.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

I have been working at Natera full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Diverse culture, solid product line, amazing people to work with. We truly make a difference in the world. Nice lunch 3 times a week. I feel the management team works hard to create a comfortable, safe and fun environment. A good balance of hard work and fun. Exceptional benefits offered at a low cost to employees. Our CEO is brilliant and the management team does a good job of handling our exceptional growth. I'm not afraid to suggest something outside the box or try something new.

Cons

From 50 to 500 employees in a just over a year is difficult to manage and has it's challenges. Very long hours required but that is part of a start up.

Continue to hire the best of the best. Acknowledge creativity and keep your employees informed.

Great mission. Smart, passionate people.

Current Employee - Administration in San Carlos, CA
    Current Employee - Administration in San Carlos, CA

I have been working at Natera full-time

Pros

You'll be making the world better, taking on some key challenges of life and health, working with a dedicated and bright team, and helping to develop truly impressive technology. The people at Natera are generally highly motivated and interesting individuals. The culture is to work hard and expect excellence but there is also a lot of play... taking breaks with TV or pool in the game rooms, gym, poker gatherings, ping-pong tournaments, teams go out regularly together, good free food for lunches which brings everyone together to hang, friday beer breaks etc.

Cons

I guess the culture doesn't work for everyone. This is not a place to be if you don't want to put in real effort to contribute to something great. You need to be ready to think and learn and grow.

I think good decisions have been made because the growth has been phenomenal, but these decisions could be better explained to all levels of the company. I know the senior management has been really busy with the rapid scaling and frankly it's amazing that we've been able to grow so fast, but more time needs to be found for communication to all levels.

Living the brand: Conceive, Deliver.

Current Employee - Marketing in San Carlos, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Carlos, CA

I have been working at Natera full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Mission driven, massive market, brilliant people, solving complex problems that matter. Talent at Natera is quickly recognized and developed and given greater responsibility. Culture is highly meritocratic and action-oriented. Fast-paced environment and competitive landscape require people to work hard and be at their best. Dissent is encouraged and people listen to each other, though they don't always agree and you better bring data and evidence to support your claims. Challenges me to bring my A-game to every meeting, and every customer interaction. At end of the day I know we are making the world a better place for thousands of people who are trying to have kids or dealing with cancer.

Cons

Less time for traditional people management, since there are so many projects in this fast-growing company. Sometimes the management team can get distracted with new opportunities, which can affect deadlines. Enormous effort going into managing scale and growth, which is exhausting but also exciting.

More focus on setting goals, sticking to them (avoiding distractions), and funding projects appropriately to execute on time.

great place to be

Current Employee - Research Scientist in San Carlos, CA
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in San Carlos, CA

I have been working at Natera full-time (more than an year)

Pros

stimulating environment, great science, awesome people

Cons

poor management, lack of direction

Helpful coworkers but the management was lacking

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

I worked at Natera (less than an year)

Pros

Free catering lunch (salad bar, main course, and fruits) was provided every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday (however now it's said that on Fridays they only serve the salad bar). Coffee vending machine and unlimited tea supply. Personal fridge to store our own food. Gym with varied equipments. Pingpong table and flat screen TV in the entertainment room for all employees to lounge in or to refresh momentarily during personal breaks or after work. two work-station treadmills in the office. Parking structure, so no worries getting in and out of the car when it rains. Temps get paid overtime. Flexible work hours. Commonly, people come 8-5 or 9-6 but some come very early and leave in the afternoon where others come later than 10 but stay up until 9 pm.

Cons

Management was lacking (which is pretty common for start-ups?). The accounting team had to come on weekends about at least twice a month and there is no OT for permanent employees. Working remotely on weekends is possible if you're a permanent but the controller mostly prefers having the team come in physically anyways. They definitely need hiring more people to balance the work volume, for the accounting teams at least.

Very disappointing.

Former Employee - Sample Accessioning in San Carlos, CA
    Former Employee - Sample Accessioning in San Carlos, CA

I worked at Natera full-time (less than an year)

Pros

For such a great product, I would think they would be better run. Free lunch. Very laid back, "young" culture. Nice people.

Cons

No real leadership. Understaffed and badly staffed. No one I talked to in my department were there over a year signalling high turnover

Get some help. Get some real managers with real managerial experience. Try for a more professional environment. Laid back is nice, but there's a limit.

Interesting work with startup environment

I have been working at Natera full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Interesting company that's doing meaningful work. The biggest 'Pro' is the people that work here. Very smart, nice, and accepting. Nice office and central location. There are the standard perks (lunches, snacks, parking, parties, etc) established. The company is still 'small' and so there's a huge opportunity to make your mark.

Cons

Like most startups, it's a young company with young workforce. The result is that leadership is somewhat lacking but this is changing for the better as the company grows. You should be the type that wants to work hard towards a goal that actually matters. There is an *intense* need for more meeting rooms.

Err on the side of keeping things positive whenever possible. You are so close to having the right balance.

Professional Office Drone

Current Employee - Accountant in San Carlos, CA
    Current Employee - Accountant in San Carlos, CA

I have been working at Natera full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free catering 3 times a week

Cons

Poor management. Does not appreciate the work we lowly commoners do.

Show more compassion to us lowly slaves

Fast paced, yet extremely fun and rewarding place to work!

I have been working at Natera full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get to be surrounded by some of the sharpest minds doing extremely inspiring work, very fascinating technology. Everyone is friendly and eager to chat with you about what they do. While we work hard, we also find time to play hard, gorgeous facility, weekly catered food, you can bring your pet to work and there is even a soccer team including members from every department.

Cons

Again, very fast paced, you absolutely have to be in this environment, it is what makes us more successful and competitive, and ultimately more proud of where you work.