National Alliance for the Mentally Ill

www.nami.org

National Alliance for the Mentally Ill Reviews

3.2

Stephen Feinstein

A Valuable Service and Resource for Local Community Members Living With Mental Illness

Former Employee - Support Specialist  in  New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Support Specialist in New Orleans, LA

I worked at National Alliance for the Mentally Ill part-time for more than a year

Pros

I found out how good public service can feel when working in such an environment, which was largely a social club for people living with mental illness. I felt valued as an employee, and my voice was always heard. The satisfaction of working with the clientele helped me understand how important it is for me to be part of something greater and to follow your passions.

Cons

As a small share of the federal and state budgets, it was tough getting enough hours and wage, not to mention no chance of benefits while part-time.

A Personality-Driven Workplace

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at National Alliance for the Mentally Ill

Pros

You have an opportunity to help people who have little support from the rest of society; mental illness still carries a heavy stigma. Educating family members on their loved one's illness and integrating people with mental illness into a treatment plan is immensely rewarding. The pay and benefits are about par for a nonprofit.

Cons

NAMI is far too beholden to the interests of drug companies and has often compromised its mission of outreach to people with mental illness by pushing medication instead of helping find other avenues of treatment.

Gets high impact from tight resources. So driven by the mission that it sometimes runs over people.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at National Alliance for the Mentally Ill

Pros

Smart people, good mission, demanding projects, chance to affect awareness of critical health issues.

Cons

Exploits employee goodwill more than is maybe right for any pursuit of mission. Workplace is sometimes frantic for reasons not beyond supervisors' control. For a consumer advocacy nonprofit to overwork its own people sometimes is maybe surprising but not unusual for Washington, D.C. area.

Go outside organization for more leadership. Let smaller fights go. Collaborate more with other health advocates. Some find you prickly, even when you and they want the same thing.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

NAMI has disadvantages: low pay for very hard work, unclear or changing goals and advantages: chance for social change.

I have been working at National Alliance for the Mentally Ill

Pros

Lots of bright young people will benefit from the mentorship of mature coworkers who are committed to social change. Creativity is rewarded, and there are real opportunitites to institute your own programs.

Cons

Priorities swiftly change at the whims of the constituents. The Board of Directors is unusual: it is largely not made up of experts or people of distinction. Many Board members started out as volunteers. These members are passionate about the cause but usually can only focus on one aspect of the mission.

Worked for National Alliance for the Mentally Ill? Contribute to the Community!