National American University

Employment Status

Reset
3.8
Dr. Ronald L. Shape

Pros
  • Everyone I worked with at NAU were genuinely great people to be around (in 8 reviews)

• Decent pay, hire with little to no experience in the sales field (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • I knew more about financial aid than one of my (in 6 reviews)

• Low pay and slow advancement opportunity (in 4 reviews)

1. Pros And Cons of Working With NAU

Current Employee - Director of First Impressions in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Director of First Impressions in Austin, TX

I have been working at National American University (More than 3 years)

Pros

working inside full time, and working with such a great team

Cons

getting to know the employees and then they move on to another position with NAU, or they leave the company

Easy environment to work in but the company does not pay well.

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at National American University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company tuition benefits are great.

Cons

No pay raises in 2 years

Advice to Management

Don't promise a salary increase if you can't afford to pay it.

National American University Response

Apr 10, 2015NAU Representative

Thank you for your comments. NAU appreciates its employees and strives to increase salaries when possible. In addition to salaries, the University provides other benefits, including tuition benefits ... More

3. stay away, stay far away

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Austin, TX

I worked at National American University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

getting a decent paycheck every two weeks. i made $18.25/hr. a few nice ppl and tried to made fun work environment oh and a free trip to las vegas. dont expect that again.

Cons

every aspect of the business. cold calling ppl after having only one week of training. the supervisor is supposed to continue your training for 8 weeks, but will throw you on the phone after one week and a couple of days of watching videos. they have an expectation for you to sell ppl an overpriced and under valued education. as a earner of two degress thru my hardwork, i found myself unmotivated to sell ppl this false dream of what education will do for them. NAU lies to these students who are low-income, uneducated, and just want a change in life. an education at NAU will definitely change your life because it will leave you over $30,000 in debt with only an online associates degree...sickening...i didnt even pay that much for my masters!!! what more, they say they are there to change lives, they are there to recruit and hit numbers. and if you dont hit your numbers you will be made to feel like a failure, ostracized, embarrassed, and your confidence in your skills, intelligence, and abilities will diminish. this is a SALES job! no commissions! the morality of this company is close to hell. im telling you Jesus is not in this company. they brainwash you and try to make you feel like you are making a difference. not a true admissions environment. they will fire you for no reason only because you didnt make goals in a couple weeks and like others have said even if you make the goal, and dont the next week you will be fired. many of my coworkers quit because of the stress. the hours are rediculous. i had no family but i couldnt imagine having children or a husband and trying to work this job, impossible, your family will suffer. because you will be at this job alllll day long dialing dialing dialing....leads suck because most ppl did not request the information. most days i just wanted to reach my goal of 100 dials or more. hmm what else bad..some ppl there have negative attitudes, gossipy, immature, catty, losers mentality. Not the right environment if you want to be around positive ppl, achieve career and professional growth. save yourself the trouble and false excitement, dont do it, unless you absolutely have NO other job opportunities, only do it to buy yourself some time until your next job. and if you are going to work here as an advisor, dont work for anything less than $18/hr, make them pay you!!! Oh i cannot forget the mass email expose' of a top executive who had been working there for years...she sent an email to all NAU employees stating how her job had been threatened on numerous occassions, she was made to feel like she wasnt doing her job, when her region/campus had been making the most progress..and she sent this letter to the CEO about her resignation. We did not hear anything from management about this embarrassing email we received, it was like they didnt even care what she had to say and they didnt even care what our opinion of the company was...they just didnt care!

Advice to Management

You are a bunch of money hungry, immoral ppl. Tell ppl the truth they are not there to change lives, but to make the school a buck!! Stop the internal sabbotage!!

National American University Response

Apr 8, 2015NAU Representative

NAU holds itself to the highest ethical standards and is subject to accreditation standards and federal and state regulatory requirements. For over 70 years, the activities of the university have ... More

5. Excellent business school

Former Employee - Adjunct Math Tutor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Adjunct Math Tutor in Austin, TX

I worked at National American University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Need Adjunct Prof to tutor Algebra

Cons

OnLine testing covering all text

Advice to Management

Locate students that require passing algebra and let me e their Tutor.

6. waste of time

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Austin, TX

I worked at National American University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

decent place to work for about 6 months while you interview for a better job.

Cons

They prey on people to take out loans to pay for school. ridiculous quotas for "sales" people that don't get paid commission or bonuses. They have a secret management plan to not keep employees for longer than about 6 months to a year. They turnover the entire staff at least every year. I also offered some constructive criticism about their training program and the VP got her feathers ruffled.

Advice to Management

retire.

Company is full of empty promises and deception to employees and students.

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Austin, TX

I worked at National American University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you like to work in sales but not get paid for your performance this is the place for you.

Cons

Company is sorely mismanaged. promises are made to employees that are never fulfilled. Employees aren't expected to make it past 6 months and are given unobtainiable goals. The management team has secret agendas and manages employees out the door through their "GPS" program. Students are charged overinflated prices for their education and encouraged to take out loans.

Advice to Management

be realistic with the employees. Online proprietary schools are a dime-a-dozen and you're on a sinking ship.

RSS Feed </> Embed