National American University

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dr. Ronald L. Shape

Virtual online instructor for the University

ProsExcellence on freedom to teach to fit the students situation no micromanaging prove you are worthy of doing your job. For the most they do listen to the instructor on the subject matter.

ConsVery low pay no raises in the whole time I have been employed with the company. In fact the teaching assignments have been lowered due to federal laws.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter structure for interns and students who must complete outside work to meet the need of the degree. Seek updating courses at least once every two years.

Going through some serious growing pains

Admissions Advisor (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsStaff was incredible, pay was good, the work atmosphere was usually fun and casual. The students you work with can often be rewarding to help. NAU has an excellent student philosophy. Employees can go to school with NAU for free.

ConsNAU has grown so fast in recent years that their accreditation is in trouble and now they are trying to scale back. Benefits are terrible, policies change monthly and it is a sales position without commission.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better benefits, find policies to stick with and slow down growth.

Excellent coworkers, but industry and company are in flux right now.

Admissions Advisor (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsFellow staff-members were incredibly fun to be around, it was a little family. Also, they gave the staff plenty of chances to have fun on the job. Employees had access to free classes through NAU at undergrad and grad level. Compensation was good as well.

ConsBenefits (health, dental) weren't good at all, policies changed every other month, and they are centralizing a lot so it is very stressful to work there (never sure when they will let you go).

Advice to Senior ManagementStop constantly changing policies and settle on a direction for your company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Teaching for success

Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee)

ProsThe school is smaller so there is a better student to teacher ratio for learning. There is also a culture of support for those with hardships and from a military background.

ConsThe school is small so there is not a great deal of support for drastic change.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider the input of instructors more actively to influence the productive growth of the individual campuses and programs.

Great place to work!

ProsVery caring and supportive environment, students come first! Leadership listens and works towards making the university an even better place to be.

Consinsurance is not the greatest. keep talking to the people in the field to get the best ideas possible for the students

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep asking the employees at the campuses for input.

For Profit, Not for students.

Admissions (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsCulture was ok when you removed any management from the occasion. Admissions advisors were hard workers with very little support. According to a recent structure change the support advisors do receive is going to be even less and more work for the advisors with the promise of pay upgrades if goals are hit after a year.

ConsYou either had finger pointing or lecturing in individual and team meetings with the on-campus management. This occurred even when good things happened. Leadership could barely bring themselves to give staff any credit, even when "we are not supposed to talk about numbers but we hit our numbers." Upper management has an overwhelming since of contrived enthusiasm with endless 'celebration' emails. Quite frankly this school is run like a start up.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust go to an online format.

Sales Job

Admissions Advisor (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsIf you're desperate for money its easy to get hired.
    Collect a paycheck while you look for something else.

ConsUNPROFESSIONAL! Worst office environment I've ever seen.
    Only working 9-6 and 11-8 shifts.
    They completely micromanage you from every task up to when you can or can't take a break.
    Pushing people to enroll into college who need step by step help filling out an application.
    Setting people up for failure!
    They don't honor requests for time off, however everyday someone is "sick." So just call in.
    Make 100+ phone calls a day to "leads" that never wanted our information
    If you don't meet their crazy goals they don't talk to you about it, they just let you go.
    The only appreciation for getting enrollments is being able to keep your job a little longer.
    Extremely high turnover.
    No room for advancement, all lies!
    NAU is a horrible company to work for and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone!!!

Professional Growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWonderful opportunity to grow professionally

ConsGrow opportunities for professional path growth within organization

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to provide opportunity for people to expand themselves professionally.

Company politics and power struggles inhibit any real productivity.

ProsWorking relationships with individuals throughout organization can be great
    There is a high amount of talent and knowledge in all departments
    Flexible for balancing personal and work life, facilitated well by IT resources

ConsVery silo'd departments
    No project management throughout entire company
    Length of employment is more valuable than actual skillsets or expertise
    Admissions practices are very questionable, yet is cornerstone of entire enterprise

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a hard look at who is making process decisions throughout the company, particularly at the department level. NAU tries to act as though it's cutting edge in the Education industry, but in reality operates as though it were still the 90's.

Excellent business school

Adjunct Math Tutor (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsNeed Adjunct Prof to tutor Algebra

ConsOnLine testing covering all text

Advice to Senior ManagementLocate students that require passing algebra and let me e their Tutor.

Worked for National American University? Contribute to the Community!