National American University

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dr. Ronald L. Shape

Excellent coworkers, but industry and company are in flux right now.

Admissions Advisor (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsFellow staff-members were incredibly fun to be around, it was a little family. Also, they gave the staff plenty of chances to have fun on the job. Employees had access to free classes through NAU at undergrad and grad level. Compensation was good as well.

ConsBenefits (health, dental) weren't good at all, policies changed every other month, and they are centralizing a lot so it is very stressful to work there (never sure when they will let you go).

Advice to Senior ManagementStop constantly changing policies and settle on a direction for your company.

Teaching for success

Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee)

ProsThe school is smaller so there is a better student to teacher ratio for learning. There is also a culture of support for those with hardships and from a military background.

ConsThe school is small so there is not a great deal of support for drastic change.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider the input of instructors more actively to influence the productive growth of the individual campuses and programs.

Great place to work!

ProsVery caring and supportive environment, students come first! Leadership listens and works towards making the university an even better place to be.

Consinsurance is not the greatest. keep talking to the people in the field to get the best ideas possible for the students

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep asking the employees at the campuses for input.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

For Profit, Not for students.

Admissions (Current Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsCulture was ok when you removed any management from the occasion. Admissions advisors were hard workers with very little support. According to a recent structure change the support advisors do receive is going to be even less and more work for the advisors with the promise of pay upgrades if goals are hit after a year.

ConsYou either had finger pointing or lecturing in individual and team meetings with the on-campus management. This occurred even when good things happened. Leadership could barely bring themselves to give staff any credit, even when "we are not supposed to talk about numbers but we hit our numbers." Upper management has an overwhelming since of contrived enthusiasm with endless 'celebration' emails. Quite frankly this school is run like a start up.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust go to an online format.

Sales Job

Admissions Advisor (Current Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsIf you're desperate for money its easy to get hired.
    Collect a paycheck while you look for something else.

ConsUNPROFESSIONAL! Worst office environment I've ever seen.
    Only working 9-6 and 11-8 shifts.
    They completely micromanage you from every task up to when you can or can't take a break.
    Pushing people to enroll into college who need step by step help filling out an application.
    Setting people up for failure!
    They don't honor requests for time off, however everyday someone is "sick." So just call in.
    Make 100+ phone calls a day to "leads" that never wanted our information
    If you don't meet their crazy goals they don't talk to you about it, they just let you go.
    The only appreciation for getting enrollments is being able to keep your job a little longer.
    Extremely high turnover.
    No room for advancement, all lies!
    NAU is a horrible company to work for and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone!!!

Excellent business school

Adjunct Math Tutor (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsNeed Adjunct Prof to tutor Algebra

ConsOnLine testing covering all text

Advice to Senior ManagementLocate students that require passing algebra and let me e their Tutor.

Professional Growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWonderful opportunity to grow professionally

ConsGrow opportunities for professional path growth within organization

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to provide opportunity for people to expand themselves professionally.

Company politics and power struggles inhibit any real productivity.

ProsWorking relationships with individuals throughout organization can be great
    There is a high amount of talent and knowledge in all departments
    Flexible for balancing personal and work life, facilitated well by IT resources

ConsVery silo'd departments
    No project management throughout entire company
    Length of employment is more valuable than actual skillsets or expertise
    Admissions practices are very questionable, yet is cornerstone of entire enterprise

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a hard look at who is making process decisions throughout the company, particularly at the department level. NAU tries to act as though it's cutting edge in the Education industry, but in reality operates as though it were still the 90's.

Worst job experience EVER!

Financial Services Representative (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsI had my own office, is the only good thing about this job.

ConsThis place is horrible to work for! The pay is ridiculously low and, in November, when people were expecting at least a living expenses raise, they froze raises and noone got a raise. They spend more money on flying people from here to there for all kinds of different reasons that are unnecessary.

At the campus that I was at, I personally was very uncomfortable with the culture. I was there for just under six months and never really felt like I was part of the team. One of the employees there that I had to work with the most was very stubborn and hard to approach. This person always had their door closed so it was very hard to get answers to questions when I had them. This person also would randomly scream about how irritated they were and would sometimes throw things around in their office when they were upset about something.

It is very hard to get an answer to a question when you have one because everyone is in SD or they are a regional rep traveling from campus to campus and you may or may not be able to get a hold of them. Very frustrating! And the regional person I had to deal with was very rude and talked down to me when I had questions or needed help.

The competition at this school is beyond ridiculous! I understand that in a school there is going to be goals to reach and numbers to hit, but the level of competition between campuses is way to high. There were TONS of students who were registered for classes either without their permission or before they should have been in the process.

There is at least one person that i know of there that had not had a raise in three years.

Also, if you want to move in to any senior positions in financial aid you would have to move to Rapid City, SD, which might be fine for some, but not for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop flying people all over the place and pay your employees what they deserve! Have the people who can answer questions more available by having them on campus.

Love this company!!!!

Happy Employee (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsTruly care for students. I recently sat in an all region meeting and listened to a student tell her heartwrenching story and how NAU has helped her turn her life around. These stories are abundant at NAU. It is truly the people who make this company different from all of the others!

Yes, there are goals and objectives and no that is not a bad thing! Every goal and objective represents a student who is given an opportunity to change their life for the better. If NAU and schools like it did't exist then the students we serve may never have this opportunity.

As with any company, you get what you put into it and unfortunatey it sounds like many individuals who have given negative reviews of NAU chose to blame rather then fix. Remember, ask what you can do to make a difference and don't just blame everyone else.

ConsThe worst day at NAU is the better then the best day anywhere else!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to the employees and students.

Worked for National American University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National American University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for National American University CEO Dr. Ronald L. Shape. All 44 reviews posted anonymously by National American University employees.