National American University Reviews

Updated March 5, 2015
69 reviews filtered by
2.4
Dr. Ronald L. Shape

Pros
  • NAU (HQ) has a decent pay scale implemented and on-site food vendors available (in 2 reviews)

• NAU works harder than any place I've worked to make employees happy (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Switching to call center financial aid instead of in house FA (in 6 reviews)

• Low pay and slow advancement opportunity (in 4 reviews)

1. Very Satisfied

Current Employee - Tutor in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Tutor in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at National American University

Pros

Excellent School! I'm a student there presently

Cons

I don't have any cons, I like this job

Lots of traing and advancement

Great Potential - Poor Execution

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at National American University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I've met wonderful people that genuinely want to help students be successful. Made long lasting friendships worth keeping.

Cons

Poor planning, poor execution, people are promoted based on high-school based clicks of friends not educational background or ability to manage a team of adults. Huge turn over. Polices are changed often by management but never in writing and then those tactics are used to dismiss employees that are just trying to figure out what is the latest policy to follow. People constantly feel that their jobs are in jeopardy. Disorganized, company implements policies and/ or programs without thinking it through and hope it sticks. No upper mobility unless you are part of their "clicks".

Look at your upper management and focus on your people not the nunbers, pay for better leads which will in turn will provide better students that will stay in school. Salesforce is a lead management tool not a micromanagement tool. Focus on the people!
    Your regional DOA positions are a joke, they simply stay on their cell phones while visiting the campuses and are not there to help camous DOAS become better at their job.
    Be realistic with your expectations, you will never get 4.0 GPA with cheap leads. Pay your employees better, you get what you pay for and don't promise them crazy salaries to just get them to produce for you and then use excuses for not paying them well. The advisors are the heart of your University not your VP or upper management, treat them well.

3. stay away, stay far away

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Austin, TX

I worked at National American University full-time (less than a year)

Pros

getting a decent paycheck every two weeks. i made $18.25/hr. a few nice ppl and tried to made fun work environment oh and a free trip to las vegas. dont expect that again.

Cons

every aspect of the business. cold calling ppl after having only one week of training. the supervisor is supposed to continue your training for 8 weeks, but will throw you on the phone after one week and a couple of days of watching videos. they have an expectation for you to sell ppl an overpriced and under valued education. as a earner of two degress thru my hardwork, i found myself unmotivated to sell ppl this false dream of what education will do for them. NAU lies to these students who are low-income, uneducated, and just want a change in life. an education at NAU will definitely change your life because it will leave you over $30,000 in debt with only an online associates degree...sickening...i didnt even pay that much for my masters!!! what more, they say they are there to change lives, they are there to recruit and hit numbers. and if you dont hit your numbers you will be made to feel like a failure, ostracized, embarrassed, and your confidence in your skills, intelligence, and abilities will diminish. this is a SALES job! no commissions! the morality of this company is close to hell. im telling you Jesus is not in this company. they brainwash you and try to make you feel like you are making a difference. not a true admissions environment. they will fire you for no reason only because you didnt make goals in a couple weeks and like others have said even if you make the goal, and dont the next week you will be fired. many of my coworkers quit because of the stress. the hours are rediculous. i had no family but i couldnt imagine having children or a husband and trying to work this job, impossible, your family will suffer. because you will be at this job alllll day long dialing dialing dialing....leads suck because most ppl did not request the information. most days i just wanted to reach my goal of 100 dials or more. hmm what else bad..some ppl there have negative attitudes, gossipy, immature, catty, losers mentality. Not the right environment if you want to be around positive ppl, achieve career and professional growth. save yourself the trouble and false excitement, dont do it, unless you absolutely have NO other job opportunities, only do it to buy yourself some time until your next job. and if you are going to work here as an advisor, dont work for anything less than $18/hr, make them pay you!!! Oh i cannot forget the mass email expose' of a top executive who had been working there for years...she sent an email to all NAU employees stating how her job had been threatened on numerous occassions, she was made to feel like she wasnt doing her job, when her region/campus had been making the most progress..and she sent this letter to the CEO about her resignation. We did not hear anything from management about this embarrassing email we received, it was like they didnt even care what she had to say and they didnt even care what our opinion of the company was...they just didnt care!

You are a bunch of money hungry, immoral ppl. Tell ppl the truth they are not there to change lives, but to make the school a buck!! Stop the internal sabbotage!!

5. Training was a joke.

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor

I worked at National American University full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good money, some nice people.

Cons

The school has potential to be beneficial to a wide variety of people. The reality is disappointing. The methodology for attracting and engaging potential students is limited and unrealistic.

To be successful in any capacity, the school has to become an active member of its community and provide the support it sells. I saw very little of the student support I was hired to provide. Sitting in an office and cold calling so called potential students is an exercise in monotony and discouraging to everyone involved.

Enrollment and Completion Advisor

I worked at National American University

Pros

-Meet with students
    -knowing you are helping people get into school to get there degree

Cons

-Horrible management, only cared about numbers. Don't care about students.
    -Unprofessional directors of admission, they believe they are the best at what they do, if you look into their profiles they themselves are not overacheivers.

-Don't have such a high ego, learn to respect others, if you started caring for students maybe you would get more numbers!

7. Not impressed

I have been working at National American University

Pros

Working with students is rewarding.

Cons

Horrible work environment - Great place to work if you like feeling berated. Long hours associated with this job without the proper compensation. NO work/life balance.

Full disclosure. Intentions need to be made clear in interview process that there isn't much room to grow. If a goal is reached then the promises made need to be fulfilled.

Unethical management creates toxic work conditions.

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Overland Park, KS

I worked at National American University full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I worked for NAU for just under 1 year. The best thing about NAU by far was the people. Generally speaking all of the Advisors had a genuine desire to really help their students. The team chemistry was great, as NAU generally hires upbeat, outgoing people in Admissions. Great friends were made there.

Cons

Where to begin...

This entire school is one big sales department. Though the faculty and many of the staff have the student's best interest at heart, upper management sees only the dollar sign above each student's head. Admissions drives everything.

Short term memory. In Admissions it doesn't matter how many students you enrolled the previous term, if you are below on your numbers they will not hesitate to threaten your job until it comes back up. I saw many coworkers in tears over the fear that they would get fired for not convincing someone to come to what is really only barely better than the worst schools in the area.

Misplaced priorities. In the summer of 2013 the whole NAU system held a 3 day trip to Las Vegas for a "training conference". While that was fun, and we did do some training, the entire venture cost the school roughly $1 million. The following Fall semester there was a system-wide shakedown and employees were laid off en masse (including big names at the top) to account for a loss of revenue. A well-managed business would never throw away $1million on a vacation spree if they didn't have the financial sureties to get them through the fiscal year. Terrible foresight due to misplaced priorities. That cash could've gone to help the very lacking student services.

The whole school is stuck in an entrenched ideology about who they are and how they can recruit. The target demographic is uneducated, underemployed, typically low-income and suffering groups. The only method used to reach them? Constant phone calls to internet leads. That's it. Enrollment doesn't grow because the graduation rate is something like 1-3%. It survives completely on restocking the students who drop with new ones, instead of focusing on making a better product for the existing and potential students.

Admission Advisor's daily job is to call internet leads to make contact with potential students. They say its not cold-calling, but it basically is. 1 out of 100 might actually have wanted info from NAU. My biggest regret when I left was thinking that I had convinced students to go here instead of going to a community college where they would pay less to get a better education (probably).

Management picks and chooses who succeeds there, and here's how. Leads are distributed by the Directors, who report every detail to the campus director. The good leads go to the people they like, not necessarily who is doing the best. I know that sounds petty and biased, but I ran the numbers and its entirely true. The people who enrolled the most per lead they received, got the fewest leads per month in some cases. Favoritism runs rampant.

I can't even begin to explain the lack of respect I have for upper management. I saw more employees fired or laid off for the most bogus reasons. One coworker was approved a 5 day vacation during the last week to enroll for the quarter. Apparently the campus director who approved his vacation didn't like that cause the morning he got back he was fired on the spot. No warnings, no write ups, nothing. Just sickening.

So if you're heartless, have no qualms with using lies and unethical means to get ahead, or just are desperate for a job then go ahead and work here. But otherwise keep looking.

Look for change from outside of the NAU system. Use traditional schools as an example and hire from outside the proprietary circles. Otherwise nothing will change.

Decent company, needs to be managed better

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at National American University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, really awesome co-workers. We play games everyday which is nice and relaxing. The job is really easy once you get the hang of it. Really like getting to help students!

Cons

The raise system is messed up. They never deliver on a promise; I've been waiting for a promotion for 3 years! Really stressful at times. Feels like someone is always on your neck asking you stupid questions. Can be boring too.

Get some structure, and if you say you are going to do something, do it.

10. They need to get back to basics

I worked at National American University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

M-F work schedule. Coworkers are good people.

Cons

Upper management is disorganized and has no idea what they are doing.

11. Got my degree funded

Former Employee - Director of Admissions
    Former Employee - Director of Admissions

I worked at National American University full-time

Pros

great company culture and focus on helping students

Cons

micromanaging, unrealistic goals, lack of support from management