National American University

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dr. Ronald L. Shape

Teaching for success

Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee)

ProsThe school is smaller so there is a better student to teacher ratio for learning. There is also a culture of support for those with hardships and from a military background.

ConsThe school is small so there is not a great deal of support for drastic change.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider the input of instructors more actively to influence the productive growth of the individual campuses and programs.

Great place to work!

ProsVery caring and supportive environment, students come first! Leadership listens and works towards making the university an even better place to be.

Consinsurance is not the greatest. keep talking to the people in the field to get the best ideas possible for the students

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep asking the employees at the campuses for input.

Love this company!!!!

Happy Employee (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsTruly care for students. I recently sat in an all region meeting and listened to a student tell her heartwrenching story and how NAU has helped her turn her life around. These stories are abundant at NAU. It is truly the people who make this company different from all of the others!

Yes, there are goals and objectives and no that is not a bad thing! Every goal and objective represents a student who is given an opportunity to change their life for the better. If NAU and schools like it did't exist then the students we serve may never have this opportunity.

As with any company, you get what you put into it and unfortunatey it sounds like many individuals who have given negative reviews of NAU chose to blame rather then fix. Remember, ask what you can do to make a difference and don't just blame everyone else.

ConsThe worst day at NAU is the better then the best day anywhere else!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to the employees and students.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company Overview

Academic Dean (Current Employee)
    Ellsworth AFB, SD

ProsSafe and friendly work enviroment

ConsLow pay and slow advancement opportunity

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Working within central administration was the best job I've ever had!

Financial Aid Advisor (Former Employee)
    Rapid City, SD

ProsThe financial aid team is supportive of both your career and personal development. The benefit package is quite generous as well as other perks such as free immunizations and company lunches. The management team genuinely wants you to succeed. Plenty of opportunity to work overtime.

ConsThe work can be at times mundane. The pay is low and the review process to get a raise is only done annually.

Excellent business school

Adjunct Math Tutor (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsNeed Adjunct Prof to tutor Algebra

ConsOnLine testing covering all text

Advice to Senior ManagementLocate students that require passing algebra and let me e their Tutor.

FUN place to work! Very Challenging!

ProsGreat coworkers. Challenging work. Fun and open minded environment. Effective leadership and thoughtful higher ups who truly care about their employees. They truly care for their student.

ConsHave to hit our numbers. Stressful if you don't hit your weekly goal but once you do, it's the greatest accomplishment.

Pay/salary isn't up to par with competing schools. At least $10,000 less than other competing schools.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more for your employees.

If I'd known it was a sales position, I never would have accepted it.

Admissions Advisor (Current Employee)

ProsIt's a progressive, positive and forward-thinking company. Though practices frequently change, it appears to be from a pro-active stance, not a reactive one. Promotions are regularly given to those who achieve. All in all, it's been a really uplifting place to work.

ConsThe constant changes can be overwhelming for someone who isn't paying attention and accountable. And it's all in the numbers. If you're not intensely competitive and always monitoring who is doing what, you're soon asked to leave. From that standpoint, it's not a happy place for people who don't thrive on getting the sale.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the initial interview conveys that this is a "sales" job where performance is evaluated by the numbers. And then make sure the new advisors get plenty of that sales training.

Excellent coworkers, but industry and company are in flux right now.

Admissions Advisor (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsFellow staff-members were incredibly fun to be around, it was a little family. Also, they gave the staff plenty of chances to have fun on the job. Employees had access to free classes through NAU at undergrad and grad level. Compensation was good as well.

ConsBenefits (health, dental) weren't good at all, policies changed every other month, and they are centralizing a lot so it is very stressful to work there (never sure when they will let you go).

Advice to Senior ManagementStop constantly changing policies and settle on a direction for your company.

Professional Growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWonderful opportunity to grow professionally

ConsGrow opportunities for professional path growth within organization

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to provide opportunity for people to expand themselves professionally.

Worked for National American University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National American University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for National American University CEO Dr. Ronald L. Shape. All 44 reviews posted anonymously by National American University employees.