National American University

Updated February 25, 2015
Updated February 25, 2015
2.5

Dr. Ronald L. Shape

Pros
  • NAU (HQ) has a decent pay scale implemented and on-site food vendors available (in 2 reviews)

• NAU works harder than any place I've worked to make employees happy (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Switching to call center financial aid instead of in house FA (in 6 reviews)

• Low pay and slow advancement opportunity (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Very Satisfied

Current Employee - Tutor in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Tutor in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at National American University

Pros

Excellent School! I'm a student there presently

Cons

I don't have any cons, I like this job

Lots of traing and advancement

Excellent, Growing University

I have been working at National American University full-time

Pros

The workplace culture is very good. Lots of fun and co-workers are great to be around. You have to work hard and achieve goals, but the focus is on helping students succeed. Many people have advanced their careers while working here due to a mostly hire from within practice. I enjoy my job and really enjoy working for NAU.

Cons

The health insurance could be stronger and less expensive for employees with families.

Change for the benefit of the student experience needs communication. Find many ways to communicate change and the benefits.

Virtual online instructor for the University

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at National American University as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellence on freedom to teach to fit the students situation no micromanaging prove you are worthy of doing your job. For the most they do listen to the instructor on the subject matter.

Cons

Very low pay no raises in the whole time I have been employed with the company. In fact the teaching assignments have been lowered due to federal laws.

Better structure for interns and students who must complete outside work to meet the need of the degree. Seek updating courses at least once every two years.

Teaching for success

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor

I have been working at National American University part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The school is smaller so there is a better student to teacher ratio for learning. There is also a culture of support for those with hardships and from a military background.

Cons

The school is small so there is not a great deal of support for drastic change.

Consider the input of instructors more actively to influence the productive growth of the individual campuses and programs.

Great place to work!

I have been working at National American University

Pros

Very caring and supportive environment, students come first! Leadership listens and works towards making the university an even better place to be.

Cons

insurance is not the greatest. keep talking to the people in the field to get the best ideas possible for the students

Keep asking the employees at the campuses for input.

Love this company!!!!

Current Employee - Happy Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Happy Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at National American University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Truly care for students. I recently sat in an all region meeting and listened to a student tell her heartwrenching story and how NAU has helped her turn her life around. These stories are abundant at NAU. It is truly the people who make this company different from all of the others!

Yes, there are goals and objectives and no that is not a bad thing! Every goal and objective represents a student who is given an opportunity to change their life for the better. If NAU and schools like it did't exist then the students we serve may never have this opportunity.

As with any company, you get what you put into it and unfortunatey it sounds like many individuals who have given negative reviews of NAU chose to blame rather then fix. Remember, ask what you can do to make a difference and don't just blame everyone else.

Cons

The worst day at NAU is the better then the best day anywhere else!

Keep listening to the employees and students.

Company Overview

Current Employee - Academic Dean in Ellsworth AFB, SD
    Current Employee - Academic Dean in Ellsworth AFB, SD

Pros

Safe and friendly work enviroment

Cons

Low pay and slow advancement opportunity

Working within central administration was the best job I've ever had!

Former Employee - Financial Aid Advisor in Rapid City, SD
    Former Employee - Financial Aid Advisor in Rapid City, SD

I worked at National American University

Pros

The financial aid team is supportive of both your career and personal development. The benefit package is quite generous as well as other perks such as free immunizations and company lunches. The management team genuinely wants you to succeed. Plenty of opportunity to work overtime.

Cons

The work can be at times mundane. The pay is low and the review process to get a raise is only done annually.

Decent company, needs to be managed better

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at National American University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, really awesome co-workers. We play games everyday which is nice and relaxing. The job is really easy once you get the hang of it. Really like getting to help students!

Cons

The raise system is messed up. They never deliver on a promise; I've been waiting for a promotion for 3 years! Really stressful at times. Feels like someone is always on your neck asking you stupid questions. Can be boring too.

Get some structure, and if you say you are going to do something, do it.

Good culture, challenging industry.

Current Employee - Admissions in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Admissions in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at National American University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

NAU works harder than any place I've worked to make employees happy. Admissions is difficult and they get. Fun/stress relief time is built in. Coaching and motivation is consistent.

Cons

Lead source is less than desirable. Benefits are not the greatest. Currently little career growth opportunity.