National American University

Employment Status

Reset
2.7
Dr. Ronald L. Shape

Pros
  • Everyone I worked with at NAU were genuinely great people to be around (in 8 reviews)

• Decent pay, hire with little to no experience in the sales field (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • I knew more about financial aid than one of my (in 6 reviews)

• Low pay and slow advancement opportunity (in 4 reviews)

1. Director of First Impressions

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rapid City, SD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rapid City, SD

I worked at National American University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a wonderful place to work. A great place to work with wonderful people. And a great way to learn about if you want to advance your career

Cons

I was only working Part time, and lived in hour away.

Advice to Management

No advice

Admissions Advisor

I worked at National American University

Pros

great co workers, enjoyed working with motivated students,

Cons

Pay not equal to stress
    training is not good
    Basically about every 6 months you are viewed to being fired if you do not reach their somewhat unrealistic goals
    They prey on students who do not know enough to make an informed decision

Advice to Management

Stop being fake

Please Read This...THEN RUN.

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor

I worked at National American University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Let me give you some background of myself:
    Around 2 years ago I was a top-10 advisor in the entire nation-wide system in terms of enrollments and seated students. I won many awards for this and was praised for what I did. But I truly regret working for this company.

There are some fun people to work with and there are daily huddles for games. These are mandatory for the stress of the job.

It is fun to see students reach their goals of graduation.

Cons

-Upper management is only focused on student enrollments which leads to financial aid payouts.
    -You are given expectations on a daily-weekly basis that are beyond reality.
    -There are many things that are outside of your control that you still are harshly critiqued on.
    -You have to make 100 phone calls a day. If you don't you have to explain yourself like you are 12.
    -You clock out for lunch and when you come back. If you are late, you have to make up the time.
    -You watch your friends at work lose their jobs due to not hitting goals. Typically, advisors need around 10-25 enrollments a quarter. The numbers climb each quarter until your goals are unbelievable unless you do not take vacations/sick time.
    -Very skilled and professional employees lose their jobs due to the disgusting numbers games.

I witnessed many people lose their jobs and go on to earn 6 figures at other companies. Please DO NOT attempt to work here. It is a very sad business disguised as a university. If you do take the step to work here, just give it a few months. You will see the tricks.

Advice to Management

Stop only caring about students sitting in class so that their financial aid pays out. Do you have any idea what that debt is doing to our country and their lives? You need to stop trying to OVERCOME OBJECTIONS and BUILD VALUE. for the sake of an application, an FA appointment and a student schedule. You know I am right. You are thinking in your heads right now this same thing, but you are trying to look the other way. After all, you are trying to pay your bills....barely with what you earn for being a telemarketer that is trained to manipulate emotions.

5. nau

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I worked at National American University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun environment to work in.

Cons

Not a lot of room to grow

Advice to Management

Pay more

6. Pros And Cons of Working With NAU

Current Employee - Director of First Impressions in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Director of First Impressions in Austin, TX

I have been working at National American University (More than 3 years)

Pros

working inside full time, and working with such a great team

Cons

getting to know the employees and then they move on to another position with NAU, or they leave the company

7. Great job to learn and grow!

I worked at National American University

Pros

NAU puts as much passion into training its staff as it does supporting its students. I learned a wealth of information while being employed there.

Cons

High pressure to perform and meet quotas.

Great Place to Work!

I have been working at National American University

Pros

The culture at National American University is amazing. The staff really cares about the students and really works hard everyday to create a caring and supportive environment. I would definitely recommend this as a great place of employment!

Cons

Nothing as a con to share.

National American University

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at National American University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This job works off incentive--Mostly in the form of food.
    Although the pay is decent, the benefits are pretty impressive.

Cons

Working in admissions is like working at a call center. 90% of my day is making calls out to prospective students. My biggest issue is that there is a lack of care for the incoming students. It's all about enrollments and less about how it will affect the student in the long run.
    The environment can be hostile in this office. Some of the employees are rude and are quick to judge rather than to help. There is way too much negativity in that office.
    This is the kind of job where you have to learn everything on the spot but no one teaches you. They just get annoyed when you do not know what you are doing.
    My biggest annoyance was that I never felt secure as to if I was going to be able to keep my job or not. When your job is based off enrollments and you struggle to make them, you become at fault and can lose your job.
    This is the kind of job where you will get stuck in a rut and promotions don't happen.

Advice to Management

Job security needs to be a high priority within this business. A lot of staff members have expressed concerns about not keeping their jobs. Some have even started looking towards jobs where they can get paid more.

The NAU Culture makes me want to Vomit

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Bloomington, MN

I worked at National American University (More than a year)

Pros

The pay was pretty decent

Cons

poor management...awful morale.. very sharky/shady

A good position for entering proprietary education

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor - Enrollment & Completion Advisor
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor - Enrollment & Completion Advisor

I worked at National American University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

NAU culture is different than most places I have ever worked. The company does pride themselves on working to make your work week more interesting with activities and events geared towards the staff.

The people I worked with in admissions are what made me want to be there.

Cons

This is the lowest paying job for admissions that I have encountered in the market.

To top that off, your responsibilities as an enrollment and completion advisor are doubled that of an advisor of any other school. You must enroll students and meet goals that are slightly out of reach (to push you to strive?). After enrolling your students, you then have to continue working with them as an academic advisor. This system gives the students a terrible support system. If an advisor has not me there goal, they are more than likely to neglect students who have already enrolled.

This system was initially put into place to incentivize an advisor to carry a larger load of students. You would be compensated with pay based on how many students you were able to continue. The pay scale was nixed, and the job remained the same. The advisor now does twice the work for the same pay. It’s not entirely ethical.

Advice to Management

Incentivize your admissions team by paying them more initially. People will not do or continue to do a job that has them working their hardest, and not properly being compensated for the job.

Stop micromanagement. In this position, it is important for management to be aware of what their advisors are doing. It’s also important to allow advisors to do what they do best by pulling back a bit. Find a middle-ground with the micromanagement style, and allow admissions the freedom to do their best!

RSS Feed </> Embed