National Aquarium In Baltimore

Updated January 29, 2015
5 reviews filtered by
3.6
John Racanelli

1. Amazing place to work - the people make all the difference!

I have been working at National Aquarium In Baltimore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of benefits to working at the National Aquarium! It is difficult to not understand how you can support the mission and help the aquarium achieve success. It is also difficult to be uninspired when you see the amazing animals and the people are committed to caring for them and advocate for their care. Every person counts, and no day is a bad day when you can see Calypso in Black Tip Reef!

There are also great benefits, very generous PTO plans, beautiful location in the inner harbor, and awesome events like Staff Appreciation Day at Camden Yards!

On top of that, I personally feel like I am a part of a great, supportive team that always faces its challenges together. My boss is supportive and is flexible when it comes to my needs, which makes me want to give back 110%. I am always working on something new, learning a new skill, creating a new project or process... I am always stimulated!

Cons

The challenges of working for a non-profit are probably pretty similar across the board - there's a limited pool of resources and not every decision you make about resources is a "feel good" decision, no matter how much you want it to be. This is mostly something that can be overcome with creative problem solving and maintaining perspective.

Advice to Management

Communication can always be improved.

2. Great Non-profit atmosphere

Former Intern - Digital Marketing Intern in Baltimore, MD
    Former Intern - Digital Marketing Intern in Baltimore, MD

I worked at National Aquarium In Baltimore as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at the aquarium in college, it was a relaxed environment where creative types thrive. The staff is young, friendly, and ambitious. Great opportunities for growth.

Cons

Work can get a but repetitive. People seem to come and go pretty frequently. Little to no training was done.

3. Great and exciting place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at National Aquarium In Baltimore full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Being part of a mission-driven organization, working with people who truly try to live the values every day, the smart people I work with, great benefits (generous time off and excellent medical coverage)

Cons

budget constraints (normal for any nonprofit, but still frequently frustrating)

5. A fun environment if you're a visitor -- an employee? Not so much.

Former Employee - Information Technology in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Baltimore, MD

I worked at National Aquarium In Baltimore part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to see the animals all of the time. That's the only upside and thing to make you happy during the day.

Cons

Lack of respect from the department leaders, CTO, and others. Lack of direction and wasteful spending. Mistreatment of workers. Compensation is a joke for the amount of work you do and there are too many rules and regulations. I imagine it would be better as a conservationist dealing with animals but their IT department is a disaster.

Advice to Management

Fire the CTO. He has a total disrepect for employees and potential employees. He will single handedly run the company the to ground with his poor attitude.

6. Internal culture not what they'd like

Former Employee - Aquarist in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Aquarist in Baltimore, MD

I worked at National Aquarium In Baltimore full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Historic aquarium with some great exhibits, and expansion projects.

Cons

The staff in my department had no resect for their leaders or newcomers, which caused rifts in the team.

Advice to Management

The attitudes of the staff need to be managed better.