National Association of Home Builders

Updated November 3, 2014
Updated November 3, 2014
3.4

Jerry Howard

A great overall summer internship with a great organization.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at National Association of Home Builders as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great hours
    Great benefits (for full time employees)
    Great location in DC
    Great communication within the organization
    Surrounded with very intelligent, innovative professionals that provided an excellent atmosphere for success.

Cons

Interesting board which includes thousands of NAHB members. This can put a damper on the decision making process. The organization is often held back from making very necessary changes to their strategies based on the older generation of members that don't want to change the way they've always done things.

CEO seems like a great man and it appears he has done a lot to help dig the organization out of the downturn (you can tell how passionate he is about the industry). Continue to hire motivated individuals that have a passion to not only help the housing industry grow, but to sustain that growth.

Treats interns poorly

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at National Association of Home Builders part-time

Pros

- Everyone is kind and friendly
    - Office in nice area

Cons

- They run their interns hard. As an intern you do terrible monotonous work which includes watching raw tapes and type transcribing what was said for like 8 hours a day. For an unpaid intern, I think work this terrible is taking advantage of a college student who is there to learn.

Give your interns more interesting things to do. Value that they are coming to work for you for free, which is a hard economical burden on a lot of people.

Terrible Place, Terrible Management

I have been working at National Association of Home Builders full-time

Pros

Good downtown location. Nothing else. This place is a joke, the members are obnoxious and stuck in the 1950's.

Cons

Senior Management is a joke, The CEO needs to go. The place is set up as a country club for members and senior management. Senior Management is paid well, see the 990 forms, the CEO makes $2 million per year, in this supposed NON-PROFIT. Most of the employees here are completely miserable. I have no idea who wrote these other reviews, I suspect it is HR.

Need a new CEO, To top heavy with management. Review the entire culture of this organization.

Good experience

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

Pros

As an intern, I was given lots of work today that was meaningful. My supervisor was great about providing me with work tailored to my skills and interests.

Cons

The place is clearly a bureaucracy, with the individual departments having very little control over the work they do.

Give more freedom to the individual sectors of the association, as it seems a lot of the leadership is of an older generation and behind on the times.

Decent pay, excellent benefits - Member Driven

I have been working at National Association of Home Builders full-time

Pros

The pay is pretty good, and the beneftis are very good. Conservative, but reasonable PTO and alternative work schedules were just implemented last year. I have learned a lot about working for a not for profit.

Cons

It is a trade association so it operates on the desires of the members. It's a large multifaceted organization and it takes some time to understand fully how it works.

Career development should be a priority.

NAHB

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at National Association of Home Builders (less than an year)

Pros

I got good experience in a research position. I had a good experience working with employees. although it has a reputation as being an association with far too many board members, making it unable to make necessary decisions

Cons

Not the most efficient place; sometimes there seems to be a lack of organization. It has a reputation as being an association with far too many board members, making it unable to make necessary decisions. Sometimes people are left now knowing what direction they need to go.

Great Membership Organization - Great People - Mediocre leadership

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at National Association of Home Builders full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work with Great People - NAHB attracts a lot of really smart and good workers
    Solid Place to Build Experience
    Members Generally Very Good to Work With - They are very appreciative of staff's efforts - very rewarding as a membership organization
    Housing is important - nice to be with the good guys

Cons

Large Group - Silos and territorial
    Weak Accounting Support - Very Top Down Driven
    Very Old Fashioned Leadership - You'll do it my way because my title is longer than yours - not in harmony with today's progressive leaders
    Did an awful job with the housing downturn - no contingency planning evident - very reactive executive leadership

None - they wouldn't listen anyway

Reasonably stable considering market conditions for the last few years

I have been working at National Association of Home Builders full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are very good - decent salary.

Cons

No real career advancement opportunities.

Good work, unwieldy organization

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at National Association of Home Builders full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Talented staff
    Skilled, collegial management
    Interesting subject matter

Cons

Bloated volunteer leadership and membership structure. Most nations (including the United States) get by with fewer legislative functionaries.
    Committee assignments are a revolving door of incestuous relationships.
    Short-sighted executive leaders, more interested in their own legacies than any lasting impact on the association

It will never happen, but ... work to reduce the size of the Board of Directors by 95%.

Good people to work with

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at National Association of Home Builders full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great, fun and smart people to work with. Good benefits and travel opportunities

Cons

Upper management not really open to new ideas. Even sharing new paths to success and ideas are shot down easily if its something they are not used to doing or hasn't been done before. Slow to change... Doesn't leave much room for innovation or improvement for member services. Controlled by members and its worked this way since association was founded in the 1940's I imagine.

Way too top heavy and high paid upper management reap all the rewards for hard work.

National Association of Home Builders Photos

The Building Within (Photo thanks to Flickr user Bill in DC All rights reserved.)
Home Builders' Association Building (Photo thanks to Flickr user Oblivious Dude, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)
The National Association of Home Builders, facing Thomas Circle, between M St and Massachusetts Ave NW. Washington, DC. (Photo thanks to Flickr user M. V. Jantzen, available under by-nc v2.0)

+ Add Photo