National Association of Home Builders

3.4

Jerry Howard

Decent pay, excellent benefits - Member Driven

I have been working at National Association of Home Builders full-time

Pros

The pay is pretty good, and the beneftis are very good. Conservative, but reasonable PTO and alternative work schedules were just implemented last year. I have learned a lot about working for a not for profit.

Cons

It is a trade association so it operates on the desires of the members. It's a large multifaceted organization and it takes some time to understand fully how it works.

Career development should be a priority.

Terrible Place, Terrible Management

I have been working at National Association of Home Builders full-time

Pros

Good downtown location. Nothing else. This place is a joke, the members are obnoxious and stuck in the 1950's.

Cons

Senior Management is a joke, The CEO needs to go. The place is set up as a country club for members and senior management. Senior Management is paid well, see the 990 forms, the CEO makes $2 million per year, in this supposed NON-PROFIT. Most of the employees here are completely miserable. I have no idea who wrote these other reviews, I suspect it is HR.

Need a new CEO, To top heavy with management. Review the entire culture of this organization.

Good experience

Former Employee - Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at National Association of Home Builders as an intern for less than a year

Pros

As an intern, I was given lots of work today that was meaningful. My supervisor was great about providing me with work tailored to my skills and interests.

Cons

The place is clearly a bureaucracy, with the individual departments having very little control over the work they do.

Give more freedom to the individual sectors of the association, as it seems a lot of the leadership is of an older generation and behind on the times.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

NAHB

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at National Association of Home Builders for less than a year

Pros

I got good experience in a research position. I had a good experience working with employees. although it has a reputation as being an association with far too many board members, making it unable to make necessary decisions

Cons

Not the most efficient place; sometimes there seems to be a lack of organization. It has a reputation as being an association with far too many board members, making it unable to make necessary decisions. Sometimes people are left now knowing what direction they need to go.

Great Membership Organization - Great People - Mediocre leadership

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at National Association of Home Builders full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Work with Great People - NAHB attracts a lot of really smart and good workers
    Solid Place to Build Experience
    Members Generally Very Good to Work With - They are very appreciative of staff's efforts - very rewarding as a membership organization
    Housing is important - nice to be with the good guys

Cons

Large Group - Silos and territorial
    Weak Accounting Support - Very Top Down Driven
    Very Old Fashioned Leadership - You'll do it my way because my title is longer than yours - not in harmony with today's progressive leaders
    Did an awful job with the housing downturn - no contingency planning evident - very reactive executive leadership

None - they wouldn't listen anyway

Good work, unwieldy organization

Former Employee - Director  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at National Association of Home Builders full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Talented staff
    Skilled, collegial management
    Interesting subject matter

Cons

Bloated volunteer leadership and membership structure. Most nations (including the United States) get by with fewer legislative functionaries.
    Committee assignments are a revolving door of incestuous relationships.
    Short-sighted executive leaders, more interested in their own legacies than any lasting impact on the association

It will never happen, but ... work to reduce the size of the Board of Directors by 95%.

Reasonably stable considering market conditions for the last few years

I have been working at National Association of Home Builders full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The benefits are very good - decent salary.

Cons

No real career advancement opportunities.

Good people to work with

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

Great, fun and smart people to work with. Good benefits and travel opportunities

Cons

Upper management not really open to new ideas. Even sharing new paths to success and ideas are shot down easily if its something they are not used to doing or hasn't been done before. Slow to change... Doesn't leave much room for innovation or improvement for member services. Controlled by members and its worked this way since association was founded in the 1940's I imagine.

Way too top heavy and high paid upper management reap all the rewards for hard work.

Good people to work with but internal politics and board are barriers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Association of Home Builders full-time

Pros

A lot of good staff members to work with, especially from middle management down.

Cons

Industry downturn led to major staff reductions and budget cuts, which means staff is overworked and has limited resources to work with. Special interests and entrenched board members limit ability to reform.

Show more trust in staff and consider the impact of actions on morale, which is very low.

Heavy Office Politics, Leaden Culture

Former Employee - Land Use Planner  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Land Use Planner in Washington, DC

Pros

Decent benefits package, although nothing extraordinary. Very nice building and office space, great location in downtown Washington, DC. Some opportunities for staff travel, although this has dwindled as the financial difficulties have mounted.

Cons

Lots of office politics, back biting between departments over dwindling resources. Nasty entrenched middle management layer that spends much of their energy ingratiating themselves to upper management and members while treating their subordinates with contempt while taking credit for their hard work. Very little opportunity for upward mobility due to middle management "lifers." The organization is pretty clueless that it is in 2012 and clutches on to a very outdated 1970s-80s corporate culture a la Dabney Coleman in "9 to 5." NO flex time or telecommuting and every second of time is closely monitored. Working here will make you want to put "Skinny and Sweet" in the coffee.

Upper management needs to look for fresh talent at the lower levels of the staff organization, and put some of the "lifers" out to pasture to infuse the organization with new talent and ideas, If they dont, the organization will continue to diminish and get left behind.

Worked for National Association of Home Builders? Contribute to the Community!