National Association of Insurance Commissioners

National Association of Insurance Commissioners President Susan E. Voss

Susan E. Voss

Excellent Workplace. Great Culture and Co-Workers

I worked at National Association of Insurance Commissioners as an intern

ProsExcellent environment to work at. People seem to truly enjoy what they do and you feel like you are part of a group that makes a difference.

ConsAs an intern, my job consisted mostly of menial work and learned very little in terms of new skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest on keeping and developing your interns.

Good Place to Work

Kansas City, MO

I have been working at National Association of Insurance Commissioners full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood benefits and a commitment to a strong work life balance. Management are willing to listen to suggestions from current employees. Offices are located in central locations in all three cities with ample parking.

ConsWeekend hours sometimes required, but that's part of many jobs nowadays. Telework not available for hourly employees.

Lots of employee perks

Kansas City, MO

I worked at National Association of Insurance Commissioners full-time for more than a year

ProsCasual dress code, employee-friendly benefits such as Infants in the Workplace & flex time

ConsPolitics w/some of the members has a negative effect on everyone else

Family friendly, flexible

Kansas City, MO

Prosfamily friendly, flexible, flexible hours, growing in terms of promoting employee health, great location in heart of downtown, gym access, safe building

Consgrowing faster than resources, micromanagement, silo'ed teams, upper management sometimes out of touch with smaller teams

A great family focused environment to work in.

Kansas City, MO

I have been working at National Association of Insurance Commissioners full-time for more than 10 years

Pros37.5 hour work week, stable employment, babies in the workplace program.
Good for new developers looking to build experience or for people that are starting a family and need flexible schedules.

ConsPay compensation is below the Kansas City average for upper level delelopment. Slow technology adoption. Older development methodologies.

Avoid one department in this company, the others are ok

Software Engineer III (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Association of Insurance Commissioners

ProsGood benefits, cost of living raises

ConsDsyfunctional mananagement team in a particular department. They have had some of the best people in the city, pay them really well, let them work 4 day work weeks and they still all eventually leave. Executive management just can't or won't deal with a manager and sr. manager who are the core problems due to their history witht the product.

Not Bad

QA Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Association of Insurance Commissioners

ProsBenefits and people working at NAIC

ConsSlow and upgrades are also slow

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing

Some great departments to work in except for one. Do your research on department turnover before you hire on!

I worked at National Association of Insurance Commissioners

ProsDecent pay, great benefits, you have what you need to do your job for the most part.

ConsOne department has had a lot of turnover in the last five years. I did my homework on the company but not the department. Each department is pretty much a silo. I ended up in the department that has had a lot of turnover. Because the company is small and people in other departments don't tend to leave it's difficult to move to a good department should you end up in the department that has had a lot of turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe willing deal with why a department has so much turnover when compared to other departments and the company overall.

Lacking good leadership.

I worked at National Association of Insurance Commissioners

ProsThe work is challenging and there is job security.

ConsSalaries are below par. Reviews do not match raises - you may get an excellent review and a 3% raise and they tell you you should be happy you got that. A good review should equal a nice raise. Rewards for working hard and being a professional are few and far between. Bad behavior was often rewarded in my department - blow up and people and hey, you get an office! People in senior positions usually didn't belong there. Management feared their boss and this made them completely ineffective.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect people. Pretty simple concept.

Internship success!

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at National Association of Insurance Commissioners

ProsGreat place to get your foot in the door to get some experience under your belt!

ConsOn-boarding process of getting familiar with mission and vision of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep internship program going! It's a great program for graduates to get real world experience.

Worked for National Association of Insurance Commissioners? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Association of Insurance Commissioners reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for National Association of Insurance Commissioners CEO Susan E. Voss. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by National Association of Insurance Commissioners employees.