National Association of Realtors

Updated Mar 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dale A. Stinton

Highly supportive and most innovative association to work with.

Realtor (Current Employee)
Edina, MN

I have been working at National Association of Realtors full-time for more than 3 years

ProsUnlimited support, Countless opportunities for growth, effective communication, very innovative, work life balance is ideal with this company and the management is always ready to respond.

Consexpensive membership dues and complicated process to renew membership.

Too many bosses not enough support

I have been working at National Association of Realtors full-time for more than 10 years

ProsProfessional Development and decent pay/benefits for an association.

ConsSilo mentality even within same departments. Mid to higher lever managers think they are gods gift to the members and staff. Employee policies apply differently to different employees, harder for some to get ahead than others. HR is extension of executive offices.

Advice to Senior ManagementAttempts have been made by execs to improve work-life balance, and I respect CEO in guiding this giant organization through recent economic challenges. Problem is association has become too bureaucratic and most of management is out of touch with employees.

It's Like Working in High School

I have been working at National Association of Realtors full-time for more than 8 years

ProsProfessional Development opportunities. They have a nice budget for staff development, but you have to ask for it.

ConsEmployees are cliquey and judgmental. Not a very welcoming place for newcomers.
SILOS EVERYWHERE!
Senior Management is completely out of touch with reality, but they don't want to learn how their employees do their jobs, or how they can make challenges better.
Pay sucks.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop acting like management and dig in to help out. Learn what your employees are struggling with so you can advocate for them.
Let the staff be the experts they were hired to be instead of micromanaging everything.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Think Long and Hard Before You Take a Job Here.

ProsStaff loves working with the REALTORS. They are the reason to come to work everyday. We relish opportunities to get out and be with them instead of our bosses. Smart colleagues at the top of the games. Good pay. Great locations in both DC and Chicago.

ConsThe worst management culture ever. It is management by fear. Staff often paralyzed. Colleagues quit with no job to go to. Regularly. The self-talk needed to walk into the building each day can be exhausting. As is the indignity and cruelty you endure to just do your job. HR is worthless to help. Flat organization with almost zero opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to hire a reputable international organizational consultant to come in and audit your management style and office culture. The members deserve better than this as do your staff. The mismanagement and waste resulting from the poor management skills of the managers is tragic. REALTORS are businessmen and woman and they would be appalled if they really knew what was going on internally.

Upper Management is out of touch with their workforce.

Program Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at National Association of Realtors full-time for more than a year

ProsSalary, Co-Workers, Location - The building right on Michigan Avenue makes it kind of fun.

ConsManagement is completely out of touch with their workforce. And I am not sure they understand the real-estate market. They completely missed the housing bubble and bust.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the contributions of your staff. Your review process is a bit of a joke. You can't ask people how they feel about the company and then get upset when they tell you how they actually feel about it.

Cool

Executive Vice President (Former Employee)
Baltimore, MD

I worked at National Association of Realtors full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFun people to be around

ConsBusy work environment, lots going on

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a grip, NAR is doomed

Good organization to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at National Association of Realtors

ProsInteraction withmembers and thechance to interace with all levels of employees.

ConsNot an aggressive company, withlower salaries.

Used to be a good place to work, CEO changed everything, communication has diminished to zero.

Mid Level (Former Employee)

I worked at National Association of Realtors

ProsGood benefits and salary is right on par with most other places. In some cases higher.

ConsCommunication is horrible. The "Seniors" are the ones that know everything and none of it comes down. Because of the issues that are placed on the seniors from above the staff suffers greatly. Every "benefit" that is given has some exception or exceptions and many rules, which then takes away or eliminates any benefit that was offered.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would but there's no point because I've offered feedback at NAR and noone listened. Generally it's just a matter of pretending to listen but not offering any feedback what so ever. Everyone is afraid of going higher to make a point.

I like it

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits
Helping consumers learn benefits of using a realtor

ConsGossipy women bosses. Get the job done girls and shut up!

Good for the first couple of years and down hill after that

I have been working at National Association of Realtors

ProsTHe people and travel to meetings if you are lucky enough to be one of the ones who gets to attend

ConsUnderstaffed and over worked and unappreciated

Advice to Senior ManagementWe wupport more than just employees, staff size should be considered on the 1,000,000 million members that also must be supported.

Worked for National Association of Realtors? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Association of Realtors reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for National Association of Realtors CEO Dale A. Stinton. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by National Association of Realtors employees.