National Association of Realtors

Updated August 8, 2014
Updated August 8, 2014

2.8

Dale A. Stinton

Great place for freelance writers!

Former Employee - Freelance Writer  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Freelance Writer in Chicago, IL

I worked at National Association of Realtors as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Compensation competitive with top-market payers, deadlines reasonable... hard work, but well worth it. The articles were interesting, but very research-intensive. Articles had to go through lots of review, but all edits were reasonable and sensible.

Cons

Frequent changes of management of website publications, and no loyalty to writers.

When you find a great writer, keep that person, and let that person work for your other publications.

Could be better

I worked at National Association of Realtors full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's a decent company to work for overall

Cons

There is no room for advancement nor are you encouraged to boost your career. You're expected to want to just stay in the same position.

You're not developing the talents of true stars and they are leaving. Needs to be a meritocracy and not just advancement based on cliques

Think twice before working here....

I have been working at National Association of Realtors

Pros

Working with the Realtors. They’re the only ones that show us gratitude towards the hard work we do. Location is great. Great work perks – baseball/basketball tickets, etc.

Cons

Where do I begin:
    - Just about everybody here has an exit strategy. People are not happy with their job and are either are interviewing at another companies or sending out their resumes. I’ve seen people quit here without another job lined up. Others are stressed out to the point of having ulcers.
    - No advancement: If you’re thinking about moving up internally – good luck because there is little to no advancement in the position. There's a lot of dead end positions. If a position does open get ready for favoritism to play a factor. I’ve seen people who’ve worked in the same position for 8 years with the same title and I've seen a lot of unqualified people get promoted.
    - Silos. Silos everywhere.
    - Sink or swim mentality along with a ton of backstabbing.
    - Worst management with the worst communication I’ve ever seen.
    - High school mentality: Most of the people here are extremely gossipy and petty. So if you’re a newcomer, learn how to navigate the cliques and join the right one.
    -Overworked, underpaided, unappreciated. We support over 1M realtors, but the staff size is only 400. There’s a problem.

Leadership needs to clean house when it comes to SVPs, VPs and other managers. Bad leadership is the reason why there's low employee morale.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Too many bosses not enough support

I have been working at National Association of Realtors full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Professional Development and decent pay/benefits for an association.

Cons

Silo mentality even within same departments. Mid to higher lever managers think they are gods gift to the members and staff. Employee policies apply differently to different employees, harder for some to get ahead than others. HR is extension of executive offices.

Attempts have been made by execs to improve work-life balance, and I respect CEO in guiding this giant organization through recent economic challenges. Problem is association has become too bureaucratic and most of management is out of touch with employees.

It's Like Working in High School

I have been working at National Association of Realtors full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Professional Development opportunities. They have a nice budget for staff development, but you have to ask for it.

Cons

Employees are cliquey and judgmental. Not a very welcoming place for newcomers.
    SILOS EVERYWHERE!
    Senior Management is completely out of touch with reality, but they don't want to learn how their employees do their jobs, or how they can make challenges better.
    Pay sucks.

Stop acting like management and dig in to help out. Learn what your employees are struggling with so you can advocate for them.
    Let the staff be the experts they were hired to be instead of micromanaging everything.

Think Long and Hard Before You Take a Job Here.

I have been working at National Association of Realtors full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Staff loves working with the REALTORS. They are the reason to come to work everyday. We relish opportunities to get out and be with them instead of our bosses. Smart colleagues at the top of the games. Good pay. Great locations in both DC and Chicago.

Cons

The worst management culture ever. It is management by fear. Staff often paralyzed. Colleagues quit with no job to go to. Regularly. The self-talk needed to walk into the building each day can be exhausting. As is the indignity and cruelty you endure to just do your job. HR is worthless to help. Flat organization with almost zero opportunity for advancement.

You need to hire a reputable international organizational consultant to come in and audit your management style and office culture. The members deserve better than this as do your staff. The mismanagement and waste resulting from the poor management skills of the managers is tragic. REALTORS are businessmen and woman and they would be appalled if they really knew what was going on internally.

Upper Management is out of touch with their workforce.

Former Employee - Program Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at National Association of Realtors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salary, Co-Workers, Location - The building right on Michigan Avenue makes it kind of fun.

Cons

Management is completely out of touch with their workforce. And I am not sure they understand the real-estate market. They completely missed the housing bubble and bust.

Recognize the contributions of your staff. Your review process is a bit of a joke. You can't ask people how they feel about the company and then get upset when they tell you how they actually feel about it.

Highly supportive and most innovative association to work with.

Current Employee - Realtor  in  Edina, MN
    Current Employee - Realtor in Edina, MN

Pros

Unlimited support, Countless opportunities for growth, effective communication, very innovative, work life balance is ideal with this company and the management is always ready to respond.

Cons

expensive membership dues and complicated process to renew membership.

Cool

Former Employee - Executive Vice President  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Executive Vice President in Baltimore, MD

I worked at National Association of Realtors full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fun people to be around

Cons

Busy work environment, lots going on

Get a grip, NAR is doomed

Good organization to work for.

I worked at National Association of Realtors

Pros

Interaction withmembers and thechance to interace with all levels of employees.

Cons

Not an aggressive company, withlower salaries.

Worked for National Association of Realtors? Contribute to the Community!