National Australia Bank

National Australia Bank Reviews

Updated December 14, 2014
Updated December 14, 2014

Cameron A. Clyne

Pros
  • Emphasize work-life balance, relatively good staff benefit compare to other banks in HK (in 18 reviews)

• Offers flexible working arrangements including working from home (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Bloated middle management layers; slow and centralized decision making; limited empowerment; chronically outdated IT (in 5 reviews)

• Being large means there is a lot of red tape and often there no desire to improve processes (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

NAB - Manipulates and Exploits Staff

Current Employee - Operations in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Operations in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at National Australia Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really cant see the Pro's of this company, and I am being serious.

Cons

Exploitation, manipulation, poor bonus, low salary, poor team culture, structure is confusing, and management don't care to fix because all they care about is their own back pocket. I have worked in 3 other banks, and the NAB has the worst culture of all, management will take advantage of you if they can, and they don't hide it. They preach work like balance and culture diverse background, when 95% of management and people leaders, are white Australians.

I have never seen such selfish and racist company in my life, and thats being nice. You need to stop manipulating people, and using them for low wages, and you need to teach your people leaders to respect staff, and when they ask for things and not coping, don't then tell staff they are not wanted in their team, and to call the counselling program which does nothing!!!

I am so disgusted at this company, so much so that I tell people never to bank with them, because they treat their staff like monkeys in a cage. Management also pretend to know things, but in fact know nothing, and steal ideas from staff and make the ideas their own.

You preach many things, but dont back up your statements, its not wonder your share price is so low, your culture is deplorable. I would love to name which company I work for that the NAB owns, but it may not be desirable for you, but you train you people leaders to manipulate staff and scare them into submission and fear of their jobs.

One other thing, when you ask people to do the yearly feedback to your company, rather than igorning your staff, do something about how bad things are, and then maybe you will be respected, not only by staff but by customers, shareholders etc.

Perhaps if you worked on your culture, your share price would increase, its amazing when you fix inside of your organisation, the outside will be fixed as well.

I am ashamed and disgusted to work for this company that the NAB owns, your management team run riot with exploiting staff, and every single person I speak to, hates every aspect of their environment. Management look miserable, staff the same, nobody talks or laughs, and I have never seen so many secret meetings in my life, staff dont talk and chat and laugh at their desks, because they have nothing to laugh about....You always see people walking off in twos or threes going somewhere to talk about how miserable they are, such a sad state of affairs.

Business Analyst - NAB

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at National Australia Bank full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexibility is fine but it stops there.

Cons

The pay is extremely average and if you join it's rare that you are paid for experience especially foreign experience.
    It is like a Government department, basically there are people working there that have only ever worked there! They have no idea. However they are paid well and they don't care

Shot yourself!

Look down on people without wealthy family background (Hong Kong Branch)

Former Employee - Manager in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Former Employee - Manager in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I worked at National Australia Bank full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Worklife balance, better than market paid

Cons

Low title so hard to switch to other company to work. Look down on people without wealthy family background. I was fired because I made a person mad, her family put AUD7M as deposit in the bank. I was asked to leave the office within 3 hours even I just made a mortgage with NAB and just had 2 payments. So I have financial burden and they fired me at once. Poor Management.

Poor Management.

NextGen - Oracles milk cow

Current Employee - Environment Manager in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Environment Manager in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at National Australia Bank as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people, nice building, very good diversity

Cons

Oracle. They have a great hold over the NextGen project and to get them to do anything is a hard task, which they will fight you in every way possible.

Fix up the relationship with Oracle. You are their client they should what you want no the other way around.

Slow moving company

Current Employee - Project Lead in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Project Lead in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at National Australia Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some people are nice to work with

Cons

Very political and slow moving, hard to drive change. A lot of senior leaders are all about how they appear and their positioning within the political environment.

Improve leadership capability, and lead by example.

Toxic culture

Former Employee - Enterprise Architect in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Enterprise Architect in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at National Australia Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is reasonable in the operations environment.

Cons

Cowboys dominated culture. Steps all over due process, checks and balances, tea play and authority.

Learns from the army

If you want to know what hell is, go work there

Former Employee - Analyst, Corporate Banking in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Analyst, Corporate Banking in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at National Australia Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You'll learn how to suck up and perfect the art of speaking at team meetings without actually contributing meaningful - strangely this is valued by management.

Cons

Full of psychopaths and people who think they are God's gift to mankind. If you're a yes man or have no backbone you'll do well there. I know people there who went five years without any pay rise.

Hope you guys sink the ship - fingers crossed.

Strategically lost and toxic

Current Employee - GM Wealth in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - GM Wealth in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at National Australia Bank full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Big bank with great assets and generally very capable staff. New CEO.

Cons

Poor growth strategy and leadership. Lack of trust and loyalty amongst staff.

New CEO needs drive costs out with new functional model and clean out some poor leaders in GE and EGM. Develop growth strategy. Sell UK and most of MLC or find people who know how to run a wealth business.

NAB : Still making Big Profits despite poor leadership and plummeting employee engagement and empowerment.

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at National Australia Bank full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you have a good boss you can get opportunity to balance work / life. Promotion opportunities are numerous, not because of career planning but because of necessity as staff turnover is high. If you can handle the pressure and the increase in expectations when thrown into a new role then you're fine. Otherwise you will probably end up leaving. Don't ask for any salary increases though as they usually say that there is an embargo. Avoid any type of Long Term Incentive offered instead of salary increase as there is a lot of "out clauses" for the Bank based on future performance etc and they will take every opprtunity to be in a position to forfeit them before they need to be paid. With this organisation "a bird in the hand" is the best policy.

Cons

There are many. Senior Leadership cannot manage poor performance. Especially those with really bad attitudes or behaviours that have a very destructive affect on people around them. They prefer to bury their heads in the sand and let them stay while everyone else moves on leaving it for someone else to resolve. senior leaders are paranoid and seem to have different agendas. They are constantly looking to protect their positions. There is no loyalty shown to any employee. You could be a Star one day and being pressured to leave the next. The culture now is seeing staff reciprocating with them moving on when opportunity arises. NAB talks about their Employee Surveys but they don't really take note of what is being said. Poor results are often blamed on the direct people leader and Executive Leadership wash their hands of any blame when they are usually the major contributors. For instance when there is poor commentary about the organisation they will blame that on the office manager when that person really has no control over the perception staff have of the organisation. However, if the results are positive the Executives will take credit for that. When Surveys are about to commence they will usually hold morning teas or lunches and encourage staff to complete them in a favourable manner. Most employees do not trust the organisation as they feel that adverse commentary can be traced back to individuals or a group of individuals, especially in a relative small business unit. Results therefore are often better than they should be and they will rely on that as a positive outcome, despite what is happening around them indicating something to the contrary. CEO is aloof and rarely acknowledges staff. He is leaving, which is a blessing as his tenure hasn't seen any significant or positive change in the organisation apart from the major restructuring and expense associated over the last 2 years. New CEO may be different and hopefully he will make it a good place to work, warm to people at all levels, build trust and reward people for their skills and efforts rather than looking for ways to avoid reward.

Stop burying your head in the sand and see what is happening to your business. You need to listen to the truth and not the things you want to hear. Your HR areas really needs an overhaul, their arrogant and naive. You need to get people in there who have some commercial and business experience not just a degree. They need a large dose of practical reality. Most people are there purely because they have to be there. It used to be a place that attracted good staff and people wanted to be working for the group for many years. Now all you have to do is look at the number of former employees working for other Banks and listen to what the market is saying about your culture. Share price is very reflective of how poorly your business is going when compared to your competition, luckily you continue to pay a decent dividend as there really is no growth.

nab dissappoints

I worked at National Australia Bank full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nothing that any of the other banks can offer

Cons

No support for aging workers - you reach over 50years and are targeted for redundancy, only promote mates - no merit based appointments, continual restructures - just hides underperformance and no clear or co-herent strategy - which is now being reflected in the underperforming share price