National Australia Bank Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. NAB the good and the bad

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, MB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, MB (Canada)

Pros

Generally a good organisation to work for, pleasant and diverse workmates and great facilities at the Melbourne CBD office. Flexible workplace arrangements a plus.

Cons

Computer systems in place a bit slow and problematic. Training and development for contract employees almost non-existent and left up to individuals to learn on the job.

Advice to Management

Need to look at overhauling antiquated computer systems and spend more resources in training and development for all employees.

2. Senior Analyst Risk

I worked at National Australia Bank full-time

Pros

laid back culture -> work life balance

Cons

laid back culture -> slow advancement

Good company, great colleagues, but needs improvements

I worked at National Australia Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work colleagues, RDOs and flexible working hours, encouraged to book in annual leave (lifetyle), and generous break times.

Cons

Micro-management in regards to times and schedule. Eg: when going on a toilet break throughout the day, management believes only break times are sufficient to take toilet breaks. Scorecard not a full picture of actual performance. Some internal politics, promotion appears to be based on who you know whilst others who deserve promotion based on merit gets second priority. Management demands results but some do not take the time to actually see why teams/individuals aren't performing. Some are not very approachable, or do not take the time to coach workers.

Advice to Management

It's great that you encourage employees to focus and value customers, but you need to do the same to your own employees. We are not machines.

5. Job Secure

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at National Australia Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Job is quite secure and a lot of internal position

Cons

Too big and hard to always do something you want to do

Too many cons for me

Former Employee - Customer Advisor
    Former Employee - Customer Advisor

I worked at National Australia Bank part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I met a lot of nice people and made some good friends. Not working on weekends and public holidays was fantastic.

Cons

As a part-timer working only a few days per week, I found myself working a lot of extra hours (unpaid) so I could finish all my outstanding work. It was not just me, but pretty much everyone and when this happens, to me there is an issue with the overall system. I found it stressful dealing with angry and unhappy customers as well as doing more complex transactions as I was always worried to make mistakes and not be compliant somehow. I also found myself stranded more than once when I needed help on something I didn't know and nobody could help and that resulted in unhappy customers as they had to wait. Last but not least, I truly didn't enjoy the immense pressure on the sales targets and the fact we were given performance reviews on those basis. I found it really hard to 'sell' products when I was trying to concentrate and process the transactions accurately. Also it seemed very hard to build a career, people who were there for years were still in the same entry level position, they were trying to progress, but not enough positions around. Maybe this was because I am in a regional area, not sure though. Not for me.

Advice to Management

Focus on better overall support for your team and organise workload more efficiently - maybe hiring an extra team member?

Excellent environment to develop leadership experience

Former Employee - Senior Analyst Programmer in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst Programmer in Melbourne (Australia)

Pros

- You will be given excellent leadership training - There are many amazing opportunities - Amazing people to work with and learn from

Cons

- It is a very large organization and sometimes difficult to find the person or team you need

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage learning and development. The Academy is excellent!

8. NAB Melbourne Boys Club

Former Employee - Head of in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Head of in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at National Australia Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The persons you are accountable to have no idea.

Cons

The persons you are accountable to have no idea. Managed by the Mebourne old boys network whose sole purpose is to maintain their position for as long as possible.

Advice to Management

Retire Melbourne and move to Sydney

9. Good people. Trying hard. Delivering results.

I worked at National Australia Bank full-time

Pros

Good people. Trying hard. Delivering results. Trying to improve culture. It's a machine. Churning out financial services and delivering shareholder value.

Cons

It's a machine. Churning out financial services and delivering shareholder value. Very structured. Sometimes inflexible.

Advice to Management

NAB needs subject matter experts as well as great general management/leaders. Balance these two.

10. Great culture

Current Employee - Former Paraplanner in Docklands (Australia)
    Current Employee - Former Paraplanner in Docklands (Australia)

I have been working at National Australia Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- great culture, everyone has a friendly and helping attitude. team leaders are supportive. - you can talk about your career plans comfortably, and there are development plans to work towards your career goals. - you can voice any concerns and provide feedback, and they will look into them. - team of roughly 40 paraplanners, with a technical support team, plus team leaders, so you are never left in the dark with not knowing what to do. - you can work from work some days. - option to take on some side projects if the opportunity comes up.

Cons

- SOA requires heaps of editing, format of the SOA doesn't look to appealing either, so you need to spend quite a fair amount of time in Word Doc after merging the SOA. - some paraplanners struggle with hitting productivity targets. I think most of it has to do with the inefficiencies of X-Plan and the SOA templates

Advice to Management

Try completing an SOA, and get a feel for how much editing is involved after merging an SOA via X-Plan

service advisor - contact centre

I have been working at National Australia Bank full-time

Pros

- great work culture - RDOs - easy to be upskilled

Cons

- can be mentally straining responding to enquries hours straight - everything is timed. your lunch, breaks, even when you go on a restroom break - difficult to find own parking as parking within premises is reserved or you have to be on a two year waiting list - too much focus on äcknowledging customer's emotion ; there is more in delivering excellent customer service than to sound artificial

Advice to Management

ensuring that staff are ok - that is physically and psychologically. the job can be fun but it is extremely exhausting when you are sitting on a chair hours straight staring at a screen and dealing with endless calls.

RSS Feed </> Embed