National Automobile Dealers Association

Add Photos

Phillip D. Brady

Financial Planning

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at National Automobile Dealers Association full-time for more than 10 years

Proshad benefits, health, gym memberships, 401k

Consnot much in the way of advancement

Stuck in trying to preserve the past instead of leading and shaping the industry

Senior Manager (Former Employee)
McLean, VA

I worked at National Automobile Dealers Association full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDecent benefits (although decreasing over time) and location is convenient to shopping & restaurants if you can handle the traffic

ConsBuilding voted ugliest in VA - old, poor repair, elevators break often, leaks
Salaries way under typical for market area and no pay for performance so most just don't bother performing
Leadership is non existent - no vision for present or future, poor communication with employees and with members; few good old boys run the place (poorly)
No advancement/professional development opportunity
Board of Directors are disconnected with business today (most are semi retired) and use their position for personal agendas rather than representing their members
Politics are worst I've ever experienced
Lack of training, no empowerment, no openness to improving

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a sound strategy, communicate frequently (including listening), reward the talent and performance and hold others accountable for not performing.

Considering the performance of the car industy recently I would reccomend looking somewhere else.

McLean, VA

I worked at National Automobile Dealers Association

ProsGood benifits including 401k, health insurance, and a decent amount of sick and vacation leave.

ConsMultiple rounds of layoffs within the past year. Boring work setting where evereyday of work is doing the same task with no change. Poor management and upper management that rarely communicate with employees. Little to no room for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to create a more enthusiastic work environment and offer some sort of an incentive for employees to perfom better.

Could be better...

I worked at National Automobile Dealers Association

ProsThe benefits, while reduced over the years, are still pretty fair overall. The company size allows you to meet a number of people who work there. Parking is free at HQ. Friendly atmosphere.

ConsThis is all based on 5+ years of working at NADA. Salaries are uncompetitive and always have been. Despite the low wages for the area, NADA has money to blow on servers they never used. This stems from poor management. Upper management (executive leadership) is aloof from the company and never visits the rest of the floors, preferring to stay in their office. Middle management (department heads) lack the training to effectively set budgets and refuse to empower the lower management levels, instead holding them responsible for issues but never giving them the authority they need to be taken seriously. Lower management is left to pick up the pieces with little training, no authority, little to no control of budgetary items, and little respect from employees.
Employees are treated as children who cannot be trusted to do the right thing and are consistently micromanaged by all levels of management.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in training for all levels of management to include budgetary, communication, project management, etc.. Empower your lower level managers to make decisions and back them. Allow lower management levels to have budgets that they keep and run. Institute flex time, a free benefit, while ensuring that staff are appropriately scheduled to service client calls. Be more involved with your staff by walking around and greeting employees at times and less involved with micromanaging everyone unless they require it.

Painfully Old-School

I worked at National Automobile Dealers Association

Pros--Employees are given more vacation time than at other professional associations.
--Lower-level employees had their own offices in some departments.
--Travel benefits are generous. Employees stay in very nice hotels when they have to work at the convention or make other trips.

ConsThings may have changed since I left, but when I was there:

--The culture was so outmoded that it was ridiculous. It was extremely hierarchical, with managers invariably bowing to the will of higher managers and the board of directors.
--The dress code (no jeans! ever!) was much more formal than at other associations.
--Telecommuting was never, ever allowed.
--Flexible scheduling was never, ever allowed--despite the terrible traffic in the Tysons Corner area.
--Pay was not commensurate with workload.
--People, at least those in my department, were not happy. There was no real reason for the stress level to be as high as it was, but it was quite high.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's 2010. If the culture hasn't changed in the last few years, it should. Younger employees understand that the workplace "rules" of the past have no meaning anymore, and you will not be able to retain them if you don't try to catch up with other organizations that have adapted.

Good place to work

Compliance Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at National Automobile Dealers Association

ProsGreat people. Plenty of opportunities to move around in the company. Lots of vacation days.

ConsCompensation could be a little better. Work day is not flexible. 8:30 to 4:45. Don’t be late or leave early.

Advice to Senior ManagementI enjoyed my years at NADA. Management is doing a good job. Maybe offer some flexability in the work day. Traffic is terrible in Tysons.

Worked for National Automobile Dealers Association? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Automobile Dealers Association reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for National Automobile Dealers Association CEO Phillip D. Brady. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by National Automobile Dealers Association employees.