National Board of Medical Examiners

National Board of Medical Examiners Reviews

Updated November 16, 2014
Updated November 16, 2014

Donald Melnick

Working at National Board of Medical Examiners for 14 years was a good experience

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at National Board of Medical Examiners full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

As a network engineer there was a wide array of network infrastructure to design and configure and put into service

Cons

There was quite a bit of administrative work that needed to be accomplished each week. This limited the time available to perform all of your responsibilities. Still many of the new administrative duties were necessary to put into place.

There was significant amount of personal growth within the organization. NBME had great benefits and perks such as the Work at Home project.

Excellent job security and benefits..lots of ambiguity around roles and lack of strong leaders

I have been working at National Board of Medical Examiners full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits
    35 hours work week technically (although my average work week is typically 40-45 hours but it's nice to have the 35 hour option if work load permits)
    Academic culture

Cons

Lack of strong leaders
    People too worried about being nice versus having constructive debates and doing the right thing
    Due to strong job security staff become lax and unwilling to change...like a tenured teacher

Lay off the bottom 10% of low performers and you'll see staff start to take some more initiative and improve operations

Good, stable organization.

I worked at National Board of Medical Examiners full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits
    Flexible schedule
    Good work/home life balance
    Paid on and off site training opportunities
    Workout room w/showers
    affordable food and really nice lunch room
    generous tuition reimbursement and time off

Cons

Growth is limited for admin level staff, the majority of the admins/coordinators have been in those positions for years.There were those who were able to grow from their positions, but it seemed more politically/popularity driven.

allow for more internal growth! I worked for over 10 years and jumped through hoops to complete my education in a career path that offered

Sweat Shop

I have been working at National Board of Medical Examiners full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pension Plan (have changed over the last year) and Medical benefits

Cons

Work life balance is non-existent, if you work in IT under the new CIO. Many groups within IT are now working or on call 24 X 7 without being compensated or receiving any official comp time off. Weekend work and nightly deployments are part of every day life 24 X 7 and management at ANY level is complacent and they are too scared to fight for their staff. IT has become a very hostile and combative workplace where Project Managers, Business Analyst and many other employees ONLY care is to check off their action list and push the work down to the few non-managers who are completely overwhelmed with work.

Sadly we have way too many managers and not enough regular staff to do the work, this is a MAJOR problem for many departments at NBME. We have working managers who actually get down in the trenches to fix, create and debug issues and then we have many managers who simply read magazines, create pareto charts and statistics for the CIO while pushing new objectives and ideas, without regard for the few actual developers, and engineers, who actually have to do this work. The CIO seems content with hiring more and more BA's, Project Managers and Managers on the fly, but current managers have to prove for years why we need more full time regular employees. Hello, this isn't rocket science if you keep hiring management to create ideas and you took the time to see your regular staff hours have increased dramatically over the past few years, you would see major morale issues.

Morale is another major issue. It's almost comical when you sit in the many meetings with regular staff and management staff and listen to the non-stop sarcasim and negativity about this place. Yes I did say management. Although none of the managers will admit to it because the CIO has everyone scared to death, outside of the few handpicked managers, who have all the time in the world simply coming up with ideas. The morale fixer that one brilliant manager came up with was to have an after work party at a bar! Simply clueless and with the hostile and back stabbing environment created by the CIO, there is no way to fix any of these issues. The CIO's only intent is to make us "World Class" and that's fine and I'm sure the President will love him and compensate him for it; however you simply can't do it all at once, at this pace and without hiring more non-management, unless you don't care about having a hostile low morale work environment.

Wake up, look at the employees hours, and have open and honest meetings.

Avoid this place like the plague

I have been working at National Board of Medical Examiners full-time

Pros

Good pension plan if you have been with them for more than five years. For anyone under five years' employment, you'll no longer get that defined benefits pension plan. Used to be a good place with a reasonable effort to maintain a work/life balance, not anymore.

Cons

Where to begin? Abusive management (yes, one poor woman was discussing with a co-worker about the long hours & fights she was having with her spouse over the long hours she was working when the CIO walked by and picked up on the conversation. The CIO's brilliant motivational speach? "...My washing machine, I put a load of clothes in and push a button and it works hard for me all weekend long, too." Very inspiring.

Long hours.

Poor management planning. We are assigned a list of priorities, then a major new one is dropped on us casually, with a two month deadline. This for something that would be a challenge to accomplish in more than twice that time.

I can go on, but you get the idea...this place absolutely sucks to work for....

Buy a clue, man up and make some decisions about what's really important. You can't make everything a number one priority, walk on your staff to kill themselves trying to meet all your number one priorities and expect good results.

Good employers with many rules

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at National Board of Medical Examiners full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, professional atmosphere, pleasant offices, excellent benefits

Cons

The culture is insular with many rules, written and unwritten. It's a complex social and organizational structure that is important to master because key communication and decision making may take place among informal, unofficial gatherings. Many long term employees, some of whom have developed power-bases, loyalties and relationships not listed on any org chart.

Embrace change, transparency, and new ideas.

Conflicting management

I have been working at National Board of Medical Examiners

Pros

good work life balance. 35 hr/week

Cons

conflicting management, no career advancement

Senior management has lost mission focus.

I have been working at National Board of Medical Examiners

Pros

Good benefits, competitive pay, nice facilities , pension, all the right stuff that should make for a great place to work.

Cons

Used to be a mission focused organization but has lost focus by bringing in some less than competent corporate cast offs in senior management positions. Bad Six Sigma implementation has made for an unpleasant work environment.

Refocus on mission. Forget jargon and trends and target mission again.

Great place to work if you want to work hard, deal with some ambiguity and politics but still be comfortable.

I have been working at National Board of Medical Examiners

Pros

Extremely stable, mission focused, great reputation, great employee benefits - smart people.

Cons

Smaller company - limited career growth; decision making is getting better.

National Board Of Patience Examiners

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at National Board of Medical Examiners full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Few nerds are still at this place due to pension benefits.

Cons

This is a perfect place to learn politics. If you stay in the game you can continue to work here or you soon find yourself left out. There are people who earned Master's and Phd's in politics while working for this organization. This should be a Pro !

Encourage and participate in group politics and make sure individuals fail in their career advancement.