National Car Rental

Great choice for me

Current Employee - Rental Sales Agent in Amarillo, TX
    Current Employee - Rental Sales Agent in Amarillo, TX

I have been working at National Car Rental

Pros

I have a lot of free time at work. I study and do homework between customers. I am usually left to do my work the way I see fit. I am given tremendous freedom. The people I work with are fantastic. I live in a small city, so this may not be true of larger locations.

Cons

I would easily make twice as much money on sales almost anywhere else. I live in a small city, so this may not be true in other locations.

I wish the commission structure could be adjusted to fit the size of the Amarillo location. I made $17 in commission last month. Selling hardly seems worth the hassle.

My perspective

Current Employee - Automotive Service Tech in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Automotive Service Tech in Miami, FL

I have been working at National Car Rental

Pros

Steady work, no surprises, once you know what to do everything is routine. Don't really have to interact with others so you can work on your own for days on end.

Cons

Very unorganized, and supervisors that do not know what they are doing and need management and personality skills.

Be more competent in what you do, be tact. Take a course on management or at the very least read a book like "Managing for Dummies".

Customer service sometimes; customer servants most times

I have been working at National Car Rental full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy working at National with my repeat and also meeting new customers. The Emerald Club loyalty program is very beneficial to those who rent frequently. The commission is easy to get payout whenever you have an abundance of cars.

They offer great employee discounts for rentals and also with other services that one would use outside of work.

It's a great job for a student in college, but once you're out, move on!

Cons

You paid a few dollars over minimum wage but the responsibilities you're given are sometimes those of a manager.
    If you work at a smaller location such as a regional airport, the Emerald Aisle selection isn't as great. This sometimes causes "customer service issues" even though they're just being extremely picky. Every location does not follow the rules for "free upgrades" so when customers arrive at a location that abides by the standards for free upgrade (because the selection is different/smaller) that causes a problem.

Smaller locations are also often understaffed, so there's not much room for different shift accommodations and some employees are responsible for tasks that are well above their pay grade.

As a Rental Agent, there's nowhere else to which you can advance without switching to Enterprise sister company.

Push employees to be more specific on the rules of the emerald aisle upgrade so that it is consistent across the country. The company does well with it's customers, but sometimes the employees suffer and get backlash for trying to follow the rules.

Exit Booth Agent

Current Employee - Exit Booth Agent
    Current Employee - Exit Booth Agent

I have been working at National Car Rental full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are great as well as the vacation days, sick days, and the yearly review raise.

Cons

It's a really fast paced job, so patience is highly needed. As any other job it's up to the person on what cons they have!

No comment

Despite managerial issues, customer satisfaction was always top priority.

Former Employee - Rental Agent in Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Rental Agent in Fargo, ND

I worked at National Car Rental part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Down time between flights allowed for time to take care of other office duties, great customer loyalty program that results in many repeat customers.

Cons

Staffing issues were prominent - making it difficult to complete all tasks necessary.

The location I worked at was severely understaffed (for a lot of my employment we were lacking management entirely at the airport location). Because of this our prep staff wouldn't complete their jobs, leaving the rental agents to return, inspect, and prep cars while still trying to provide great service at the counter. Ensuring enough staff would have eliminated a lot of the problems I encountered.

Was a very good company until Enterpuke bought them out

I worked at National Car Rental

Pros

There are none to speak of

Cons

Entertrode bought out Vanguard and than it went downhill

Quit

n/a

Current Employee - Hand Held Agent in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Hand Held Agent in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at National Car Rental full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

able to rent cars at discount

Cons

management not fair or caring

Work your butt off with no reward in the end

Current Employee - National Booth Agent
    Current Employee - National Booth Agent

I have been working at National Car Rental full-time (more than a year)

Pros

driving new cars, some coworkers, meeting people from all over the country, bonuses, discount on car rentals, looks great on resume

Cons

I have worked for National as an Emerald booth agent for over 2 years and I have had great reviews, numerous emails from customers complimenting service, feedback from managers and other employees about how much I have improved. I have expressed my desire to work at the counter and I have gotten the run around this entire time. There is no opportunity for advancement and the pay is a joke for how hard they will work you. There are limited opportunities to make commission because National created a program that gives free upgrades and customers expect to get whatever they want for an ECAR rate. The airport is very tough some of the customers are very rude and some days there are no cars and we are forced to try and rent minivans. Overall the job has a very high turnover rate and the only people eligible for advancement are Enterprise employees that have gone through the management trainee program.

Give employees more opportunity for advancement and higher pay and maybe they will stick around,

It's very repetitive.

Current Employee - Return Agent in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Return Agent in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at National Car Rental full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's one of the easiest jobs you'll ever have.

Cons

Although it's an easy job, it is very boring and not rewarding. Also, the scheduling is simply unfair.

To the company....customers matter more than employees

I have been working at National Car Rental full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The amount of money you can make from bonuses is based mainly on what you are able to sell. Great job for people with previous sales experience.

Cons

Management will take the customer's side over employees any day. Customer retention is more important than employee retention. If you don't have a college degree, you can't move above the rental sales agent position at the counter

The only way to avoid hiring unethical sales people is to have consequences for unethical actions.

National Car Rental Photos