National Car Rental Reviews

Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson

1. It's a decent job

Current Employee - Service Agent in New Brunswick, NJ
    Current Employee - Service Agent in New Brunswick, NJ

I have been working at National Car Rental part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, get to drive a variety of new vehicles, good level of autonomy, discounted car rentals, job requires very little training

Cons

25 hour per week cap, no health benefits, difficult to move up without a degree, some customers are difficult to deal with, management can be very picky with how well the cars are cleaned

Advice to Management

It would be nice if an employee that shows potential and is not able to complete his/her schooling is still given the opportunity to move up into an intern position or a management trainee position. It seems pretty far fetched to require a degree to write rental contracts and sell insurance.

2. Counter Representative

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at National Car Rental full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of down time waiting on customers.

Cons

Impossible to achieve bonuses.

Advice to Management

Hire new management

3. I wouldn't sugest it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at National Car Rental full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They have decent pay and benefits for the job you do. Easy work yearly review based raises. Bonuses available based on sales and customer service scores

Cons

Management Is a joke. Very unethical. Hardly any work life balance. Schedules based somewhat on seniority. Mostly on favorites. Management does not have employees backs

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better and you may have more productivity And better customer service. Adhere to the cal state employment laws.

5. great place to work

Pros

good pay. better commission. fun co-workers.

Cons

can run out of vehicles angry customers

6. Return Agent

Current Employee - Return Agent in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Return Agent in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at National Car Rental full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work in the covered parking garage.

Cons

When co-workers call in sick, it makes the job much harder.

Advice to Management

be more visible.

7. Dallas Love Field TX. Nice Environment For Work - That's All

Current Employee - Service Agent in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Service Agent in Dallas, TX

Pros

The location is great. You'll surely meet great people.

Cons

Unfortunately, working here is a pain and you won't advance anywhere in 98% of the case. The management don't care and is corrupted. Co-workers seat around and do help. Many back stabbing and deceit going around between colleagues and against some returning customers. Very sad. Compensation sucks.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and be honest, too many bad apples in the management and the rest of the team. Mark my words!

8. Don't Expect Wonders - Awful @ DAL

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Dallas, TX

I have been working at National Car Rental full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Yep you get to drive sometimes some of the newest cars, well, for a very short period of time though. And, let me think a bit harder, (not enough), then very hard thinking , ugh, nothing else. Sorry!

Cons

Now, you know how generally you are when getting that new job? It was no exception for me too. But now my wife hates me and I hate myself for working here particularly at this location. Despite the hard work like back in the plantation, you are stuck and unless you behave at times like a bully, even your worked hours and accessories are not properly paid. The paycheck itself is proportionally miserable. The colleagues are phonies and unreliable as team members. And I came to see and hear from my own eyes and ears, here, some of the most genetically liars working with me... Disgusting!

Advice to Management

WOW! No graciousness and civility for anything but ungrateful and pathetic. The upper management meanwhile is not authentic but unwise and discriminating. It's imperative that it has to be changed quickly in this area. Only the wisest and stupidest of men and women never change... Loss of many customers. Very poorly structured organization.

9. Terrible Choice Unless You Don't Mind To Be Abused

Current Employee - Sales Agent - Counter in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Agent - Counter in Dallas, TX

I have been working at National Car Rental full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was excited to get get a job here. This is at the Love Field Airport in Dallas Texas. Yes I've met some wonderful people here, those are customers though, unlike my co-workers. After many months now, I am still trying to find any ''Pros''. Sadly.

Cons

Now I wish I never came to work here after all, what a waste of time and too much energy. Incentives are not rewarded properly or not at all. Hard to make good commission despite your hard work you put in everyday. During some heavy rushing hours, senior agents can just have fun around while you struggle alone on the counter. Very frustrating and you make a miserable check beneath it all. I'm sorry but slavery is the thing of the past. A word about management, oh my God! Many of these folks don't even know what there are doing. Some just can't master the program software program we use, hilarious. They careless with no experience, complaisant, racist and phony. I've seen and lived some situations where the management was stuck, unable to resolve issues properly. It's really painful I can't even say more than that. All that's left for me around this location and this type of job with no future is to quit.

Advice to Management

Take a look at your self. Learn your own job first before you try to give orders. Don't profile and be open minded. Don't come out like you know it all when you actually DON'T. Please, if you value your time as I do, go somewhere else. Don't be stuck on stupid and irrational approach!

10. Easy job, Poorly organized structure

Current Employee - Exit Booth Agent in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Exit Booth Agent in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at National Car Rental part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a lot of down time between customers, which makes it a decent job for college students who need time to work on homework.

Cons

The management structure is poor. The managers do not need to have worked the jobs they are managing over, only have to have a college degree with no specification. This means that someone who got a degree in underwater basket weaving is qualified to manage over you simply because they have a degree. The pay structure is also disorganized and you have to check your paystubs to ensure you are getting paid the correct rate and hours. You can bonus, but you may never see it reflected in your checks. They have been working on this since before I started. There are also no requirements for breaks in the company, so depending on location, you may work your 10 hour shift without a designated break. Most people just take control and attempt to take breaks during down time. The focus is on sales and service scores, which is difficult to achieve when the there is a lack of cars. There is little focus on employee satisfaction.

Advice to Management

Please attempt to learn the positions that you are managing over. It is really difficult to learn how to do a job when the ones managing you are unsure of how to do your job. Focus more on employees and their needs. If you have never worked the job, you do not know the challenges of the job and therefore, cannot effectively manage.

11. Great place to gain alot of experience

Former Employee - Station Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Station Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at National Car Rental full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great teamwork enviroment, ability to increase your paycheck

Cons

Not alot of management support, poor hours

Advice to Management

Need to give managers more support. As they are asked to do alot

RSS Feed </> Embed