National Church Residences

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
2.7

Thomas W. Slemmer

Wonderful Place to work and serve our elderly and vulnerable population

Current Employee - First Community Village in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - First Community Village in Columbus, OH

I have been working at National Church Residences full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a wonderful place to work where I've had a great opportunity to help our community's elderly. From the top down, I have found that decisions are made for our organization always with our mission at the top of mind. I couldn't be prouder and more appreciative of the opporutnity I have to serve our residents on a daily basis. We have recently received our new benefits package and one of the items I found to be very positive was the amount of choice each employee had in electing a plan that fit their individual needs. It really showed the high level of priority our organization places on their team members.

Cons

None - this is a GREAT organization!

Continue to expand our mission work!

Seems to be a good job, until you actually start there

Former Employee - Service Coordinator in Manhattan, KS
    Former Employee - Service Coordinator in Manhattan, KS

I worked at National Church Residences full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fair Pay, enjoyable residents to work with

Cons

Office culture, Leadership expects you to do their offline work, like doing things for their daughter's athletic team and taking them places they want to go. They will tell you to "love the residents, that is all they want" but when you start doing this, you will be told you are going beyond your job description.

Make sure that office culture reflects the statements you make to your employees

Don't work here.

Former Employee - Charge Nurse in Gahanna, OH
    Former Employee - Charge Nurse in Gahanna, OH

I worked at National Church Residences full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Residents are nice and facility is clean. Located in a nice area. A lot of hours avail. Activities dept is good now i hear.

Cons

Management is in it for the paycheck running a once beautiful facility into the ground. Every employee is very stressed over being overworked and understaffed and it shows. We once had a wonderful ft staff that had all been there for years. Most of them left. You had no time to give decent patient care. It was absolutely horrible. It should be illegal to run a facility under the staffing conditions. Management never does anything to improve conditions so people actually come to work. Work anywhere else.

Value employees. Their jobs are difficult and this is not the only nursing home in town. Not by a long shot. Treating your employees like they're expendable is what leads to these conditions. Without good employees its impossible to run a good facility. Value their hard work.

Service Coordinator

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at National Church Residences

Pros

Ability to assist low-income seniors

Cons

Company has become numbers driven

Not enough guidance, empowerment or trust of new hires or longterm loyal staff.

I worked at National Church Residences

Pros

Nice location of building, management will focus on new issues behind closed doors thus taking focus off of micromanaging and disrespecting you when new hires or unimportant issues arise, allowing moments of not bothering you.

Cons

Not trusting expertise of hires, favoring certain discipline and others not all, lack if management education or professional role modeling from HR.

Treat all, long-term and new hires equally with respect. Learn to lead and trust, not tell and micromanage.

Management at Corporate Headquarters in the Healthcare division is a joke.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at National Church Residences (more than an year)

Pros

You can get a paycheck here for a while until you can no longer stand the ridiculous management practices.

Cons

There are senior managers who behave like Junior High school girls. They enjoy the support and protection of the Human Resources department. STEER CLEAR. There are better places to work. Even poverty is preferable to working here.

Ask the rank and file employees about their experience with senior management. Listen to what they say. Take action.

Great People

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Columbus, OH

I have been working at National Church Residences part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are great and the work is enjoyable.

Cons

Nothing at this time as I have only worked there for a year.

Not valued

I have been working at National Church Residences

Pros

Decent pay for the type of job, huge conferences, nice to be in the helping profession

Cons

Dead end job. Company makes how much in profits yet keep most of its employees at part time. Lots of internal conflicts, upper management out of touch with employees. us against them between residents and property managers and other employees. Pay is not based on merit or length of service. Worst documentation system I have ever seen.

Get better benefits for part time workers, allow hours when needed rather than having to work for free, do something about the documentation system, value your employees - there is enough profit margin to do so.

Review

I worked at National Church Residences full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This company represents integrity at its finest; however, the corporate environment has changed drastically. The company seems to work hard to keep up and be on the leading edge in the ever-changing senior housing industry.

Cons

However, as the company has grown, it has lost its ability to relate to the needs of its employees. The culture seems to have shifted away from meeting the needs of our senior citizens and being successful at the community level to making money for the investors.

Seek to improve the physical image of the facilities by investing what it takes to make the facilities marketable in a very competitive environment.

Why 9 maintenance men in 7 years

Current Employee - Maintenance in Daytona Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Maintenance in Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at National Church Residences full-time (more than an year)

Pros

helping seniors, that`s about it

Cons

poor pay, bad managers, upper level management out of touch or just don`t care what`s really doing on. Your just a number

Open your eyes, why the big turnover,you had good people