National Church Residences

Updated July 29, 2014
Updated July 29, 2014

2.7

Thomas W. Slemmer

Not enough guidance, empowerment or trust of new hires or longterm loyal staff.

I worked at National Church Residences

Pros

Nice location of building, management will focus on new issues behind closed doors thus taking focus off of micromanaging and disrespecting you when new hires or unimportant issues arise, allowing moments of not bothering you.

Cons

Not trusting expertise of hires, favoring certain discipline and others not all, lack if management education or professional role modeling from HR.

Treat all, long-term and new hires equally with respect. Learn to lead and trust, not tell and micromanage.

Management at Corporate Headquarters in the Healthcare division is a joke.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at National Church Residences for more than a year

Pros

You can get a paycheck here for a while until you can no longer stand the ridiculous management practices.

Cons

There are senior managers who behave like Junior High school girls. They enjoy the support and protection of the Human Resources department. STEER CLEAR. There are better places to work. Even poverty is preferable to working here.

Ask the rank and file employees about their experience with senior management. Listen to what they say. Take action.

Great People

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Columbus, OH

I have been working at National Church Residences part-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are great and the work is enjoyable.

Cons

Nothing at this time as I have only worked there for a year.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not valued

I have been working at National Church Residences

Pros

Decent pay for the type of job, huge conferences, nice to be in the helping profession

Cons

Dead end job. Company makes how much in profits yet keep most of its employees at part time. Lots of internal conflicts, upper management out of touch with employees. us against them between residents and property managers and other employees. Pay is not based on merit or length of service. Worst documentation system I have ever seen.

Get better benefits for part time workers, allow hours when needed rather than having to work for free, do something about the documentation system, value your employees - there is enough profit margin to do so.

Review

I worked at National Church Residences full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

This company represents integrity at its finest; however, the corporate environment has changed drastically. The company seems to work hard to keep up and be on the leading edge in the ever-changing senior housing industry.

Cons

However, as the company has grown, it has lost its ability to relate to the needs of its employees. The culture seems to have shifted away from meeting the needs of our senior citizens and being successful at the community level to making money for the investors.

Seek to improve the physical image of the facilities by investing what it takes to make the facilities marketable in a very competitive environment.

Why 9 maintenance men in 7 years

Current Employee - Maintenance  in  Daytona Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Maintenance in Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at National Church Residences full-time for more than a year

Pros

helping seniors, that`s about it

Cons

poor pay, bad managers, upper level management out of touch or just don`t care what`s really doing on. Your just a number

Open your eyes, why the big turnover,you had good people

Unbelievable waste of time. The most you'll ever work is 3 years.

Former Employee - Maintenance Tech I
    Former Employee - Maintenance Tech I

I worked at National Church Residences full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The only pro was the first month. training and meeting all the new residence assuming responsibility, Then finding out the company has back bills,low pay,impossible turnover and no way to complete your job duty's because to many rules and zero cash.

Cons

Overworked crab fest ,low pay, bad management,unbelievable write ups, managers lie about everything, You have to sue the company to get your benefits,
    No one listened in management,the paychecks were all goofed up and there was no way to view your log in or out. Vacation was not paid, sick-days not paid on time.
    Surf job openings proves the fact Ohio and VA is the worst possible place to work. during a near depression work goes unfilled because the word has got out about this employer.

During my 3 year tour I worked for 3 different boss's . witnessed 5 wrongful terminations.
    My advice to management is to cease and desist, You cannot run a company when your employees are training every 6 months. Your turnover rate is beyond burgers 400%
    In my division YOU terminated quality elder employees for non quality young employees.
    (directly against the advice of warren buffet who says the young employees have horrible grades and lack of ambition).
    You as management haven't bent to listen, and when you did listen you devoured the wrong info hook line and sinker.

Sr managers who treat their staff with disrespect, HR turns a blind eye

I have been working at National Church Residences

Pros

Decent pay. Good corporate mission.

Cons

Favoritism is blatant and bad behavior by certain Senior, long time management employees is prevalent. HR seems to feel that their job is to argue that it isn't the case when brought to their attention rather than advocate for the employee. Steer clear of employment here unless you are desperate... And keep your resume updated.

Do not treat employees as if they are expendable. Do not condone a culture where power is amassed into the hands of a few ladies who behave as if they are Jr High School bullies. Consider fielding some genuinely anonymous feedback from employees about how they are treated by their boss, bypassing the protective 'good ole girl' network of HR leadership.

Great Organization; both Mission and Structure

Current Employee - Property Manager
    Current Employee - Property Manager

Pros

This organization has an amazing set of online policies and procedures that never leave you guessing on how to proceed in any situation. Management is very supportive and available. The organization has a mission that is innovative, compassionate, and adaptive to an aging America. The only reason I left is because they didn't have any properties where I relocated to.

Cons

Just like any organization there are some downsides, but they are negligible compared to how you feel at the end the day in a great organization.

Potentially great company

I have been working at National Church Residences full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very good resouces, knowledgeable re: future directions of housing, great opportunity with potential growth, impressive employee benefits and above board standards. Motivational and direction based company and highly reccomended for beginning leadership based opportunity. Company values are excellant with high moral standards.

Cons

Management seems to get lost in it's growth and seems to get lost in basic communication with it's employees at times. Wants uniform activity across the country whether big city or small rural communities that is not realistic and sometimes sets programs up to fail because of their inability or desires to see the differences. Quick to criticize but slow to praise. Often criticism comes from their own inability to communicate what they want or expectations from individual sites . If employee is quick to realize that they will be left to figure out the expectations with no direction or direction which is dependant on whether or not they have a good manager then they will succeed, if not the road will be rough. Frequent changes from upper management are expected with reorganization so adaptation on a regular basis is to be expected. Often asked to do extra collection of information with no clear direction or indication as to why and employee is left to re figure the data on a regular basis depending on who gave the initial direction. Company seems to be lost in it's size.

Provide more initial training and clearer expectations in the beginning of employment. Recognize employees strengths and take advantage of employees abilities and their individualism. Communication seems lacking with basics but is great for communication as far as what will be irrelevant for most. Get to know your employees better and they will perform better. Treat employees the way that it is expected that employees treat our individuals.

Worked for National Church Residences? Contribute to the Community!