National CineMedia

National CineMedia Chairman, President, and CEO Kurt C. Hall
Kurt C. Hall

Just a job

I worked at National CineMedia full-time

Pros

Big company, good benefits. Depending on your manager you may have an ok work/life balance. Charity 1/2 days were great - you pay $15/month and they donate it to a charity. Then you can take a 1/2 day off during that month.

Cons

Just a job. The problem is that there are some not-so-good "leaders" there who have job security and are out of touch with what the real problems are concerning the business and the circuits.

Good company with some culture issues

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at National CineMedia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits: nearly all possibilities are offered from medical to an EAP. The business tries hard to keep people happy with special events and with methods for us to provide feedback to HR (called P&O). Most departments are very flexible about work. While I've heard that compensation can be on the low side, mine is OK. I've known some people whose jobs have become irrelevant due to changes in the business and NCM has done a good job of finding a fit for them instead of just letting them go. The nicest perk is the free movie pass for one of the three largest theater chains.

Cons

Middle-to upper management doesn't seem to have a good handle on employee morale and what affects it. From what I've seen, long hours are rewarded (regardless of what is actually accomplished) while good ideas are often rejected. Because turnover is so low in the company, the status quo tends to win over smarter ways of doing things. In addition, this is a company where the loudest managers get their way while the less vocal ones are completely ignored. If you're in the right department you will be very happy, but if you're in the wrong one you might very well be miserable.

Work on corporate culture. I'm not sure why, but the company allows the same mistakes to repeat themselves. I think it's because nobody wants to admit that errors were made. Management needs to identify these mistakes, accept that they have happened, and work to rectify them.

Great entry level opportunity with limited internal growth

Former Employee - Senior Sales Analyst in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Analyst in Centennial, CO

I worked at National CineMedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free movies, young vibrant office, fun industry

Cons

Lack of management growth, no internal promotions into management

Allow more opportunities for employees to grow instead of looking to hire from the outside.

Amazing place to work

Current Employee - Regional Sales Associate in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Associate in Centennial, CO

I have been working at National CineMedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

flex time, good benefits, free movies, company wide parties.

Cons

location from denver, can be tough to move up depending on the dept

nothing they are amazing

Started off good, went south real fast

Former Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Greenwood Village, CO
    Former Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Greenwood Village, CO

I worked at National CineMedia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only pros was that it paid somewhat decent and you get a pass for up to two individuals for free movies at Regal OR AMC OR Cinemark.

Cons

Very little training, no understanding when emergencies/delays occur, the techs working the helpdesk are snobby. Work environment is ripe with sexual discussions that are definitely over the line.

Be a little more understanding when delays and/or emergencies occur, reduce the sexual conversations in the workplace and provide more training.

Overall I like the company, but there is room for improvements.

Current Employee - EIS in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - EIS in Centennial, CO

I have been working at National CineMedia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

In my sub department there is challenging work, good group of regular employees, lowest line of management try's to be as up front as possible.

Cons

Not enough people to actually keep up with the daily work, VP and above seems not realistic about reality, SVP and C level seems totally out of touch with what it takes to get the work done. C level meets with their direct reports as well as sometime the next tier but never meets with front line management, hence out of touch.

Upper management needs to stop segregating themselves from rank and file employees as well as front line management as they are in touch with reality of what it takes to get the job done correctly the first time as they are all actually doing the day to day work. Stop trying to live in a bubble from the workers, stop only caring about managing above you. Your supposed to care about the whole picture not just building mini empires.

Not the most challenging work environment, but generally nice people

I have been working at National CineMedia

Pros

Free movie passes, I think the company started to create more leadership training opportunities in the last few years.

Cons

When I worked there, not much focus on employee development. The sales team was generally a mess. The NYC office had a very different culture versus CO.

Going nowhere

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centennial, CO

I worked at National CineMedia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Our department was stable though I couldn't say the same for others. The work was easy enough once you understood it. The people were the best part. They have an amazing Halloween party, 2 Christmas parties (one just for the kids) and an annual picnic at Coors field.

Cons

It's like a government position in that what you are hired at is where you will stay. Forget career opportunities. There is much more territoriality than co working between departments. The c-level management is useless unless you count creating busy work for line level employees and spending obscene amounts on projects that wind up being abandoned. When it comes to best business practices, they have none.

You have to believe in the corporate culture before your employees will. NCM doesn't care about their employees and makes sure you know it when, at every company meeting Kurt mentions how much the employees are costing NCM in insurance or when they reward everyone for a banner year by giving them a desk clock that smells like poison. Look at your turnover, then look at yourselves, then put two and two together and make meaningful change.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Vice President - Finance and Accounting in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Vice President - Finance and Accounting in Denver, CO

I have been working at National CineMedia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Charity half days, dynamic corporate culture, senior management that is accessible, employee recognition program, flexible work schedules

Cons

I am more than satisfied with my compensation but I know it is a concern for some...

Great Company to work for

Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at National CineMedia as an intern

Pros

hands-on, great work envirnment, nice people, team oriented

Cons

Nothing bad to say about the company