National City

Be The First To
Add Photos

National City Chairman, President, and CEO Peter E. Raskind

Peter E. Raskind

Pros
  • Great People and good work life balance(in 5 reviews)

• The hours are good and they offer good benefits package(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • PNC took over and destoryed the department I worked in now we a no more then customer service reps(in 5 reviews)

• Currently going through a merger with PNC and a lot is unknown(in 3 reviews)

26 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

very good

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

Prosexcellent hours and great management

Consbank was sold, all employees laid off

Advice to Senior Managementkeep it up

National City Bank had a Great IT department!

P/A, Q/A (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsHighly organized IT department using true design and test teams. Smart, focused people doing interesting conceptual work.

ConsThe bank was killed by sub-prime loans, the corpse was given to PNC Bank by the FEDS. I was there at the end when whole floors of people were laid off at once. Kinda' like the end of the world.

Advice to Senior Management[sub-prime loans], if it sounds to good to be true, it is. Greed is one of the several deadly sins, remember, pigs get feed, hogs get slaughtered. When I looked at a Condo loan with an ARM and a balloon. I knew there was a problem.

Good experience

Tax Intern (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsGood experience working there while in college. Got to learn how corporate America works. People taught me many things about working in the business world.

ConsSeemed to be very political at times. Seems like some people played favorites and got promoted and others that did not play the game just stayed put.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

fine

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

Proscollegial atmosphere where people would mentor you and be involved in your professional development. good work hours and benefits package

Consthe location in the midwest is not that appealing except for people from the area. other than that, the place is a great place to work.

Advice to Senior Managementdo more 360 degree peer reviews which will help management understand some of the ways they can improve the company

A lot of hard work,little recognition for a job well done.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsBenefits package and vacation days.

ConsInsufficient training. Advancement if you're drinking buddies with management.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's important to listen to your employees, provide better training; don't just promote your drinking buddies to management positions, and need more positive feedback to emplyees.

Traditional, conservative; small bank trying to act like one of the big boys

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsTraditional, conservative; small bank trying to act like one of the big boys. Decent place to work though if you're not super aggressive and need a nice work/life balance.

ConsAny positives that NCB had has now taken a large step back (operationally, compensation-wise, technologically, etc.) due to an even more primitive, conservative PNC Financial.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to talent - not just tenure

Too bad NCC is gone

EVP (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

Pros* People who had a real devotion to NCC
    * Sales force had a real interest in the customers of the bank
    * Genuine support for the markets it served

Cons* Highly silo-focused organization
    * Leadership that was detached from details (ala risk management)
    * Very short-sighted approach to regulator and street-management

Advice to Senior Management* Don't wait until it's too late to enact change
    * When change is necessary, get on with it
    * Leaders are appreciated for leading, not for being nice - don't be nasty for the sake of being nasty and don't be nice when hard-nosed is required

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsGreat culture
    Excellent opportunities
    Strategically focused to grow the business
    Willing to let managers own and drive the business

ConsPoor decision/timing on the sub prime market
    NCB's acquisition by PNC has identified some cultural business philosophy difference between the two groups.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your pledge to observe, learn, and analyze the practices in both NCB and PNC before you decide how to proceed.

Great position for students looking to gain experience within the banking industry

Intern (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsHours are extremely flexible to fit your school schedule. Staff is extremely helpful with their instruction. Opportunity for advancement exists

ConsCan become monotonous at times, but that is to be expected with most internships.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe integration with PNC has gone surprisingly smoothly considering the size of the task. Keep up the good work

National City

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsLarge corp with lots of job postings with preference always given to internal candidates. Benefits are above average for corporations.

ConsPolitics get in the way of sound management. Management deadlines result in poor performance, employees held accountable, management is not.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to plan. "Doing" without planning results in "re-doing". Spend less time blaming someone, spend more time preventing issues.

Worked for National City? Contribute to the Community!