National City

National City Chairman, President, and CEO Peter E. Raskind

Peter E. Raskind

24 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good experience

Tax Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at National City

ProsGood experience working there while in college. Got to learn how corporate America works. People taught me many things about working in the business world.

ConsSeemed to be very political at times. Seems like some people played favorites and got promoted and others that did not play the game just stayed put.

fine

I have been working at National City

Proscollegial atmosphere where people would mentor you and be involved in your professional development. good work hours and benefits package

Consthe location in the midwest is not that appealing except for people from the area. other than that, the place is a great place to work.

Advice to Senior Managementdo more 360 degree peer reviews which will help management understand some of the ways they can improve the company

A lot of hard work,little recognition for a job well done.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at National City

ProsBenefits package and vacation days.

ConsInsufficient training. Advancement if you're drinking buddies with management.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's important to listen to your employees, provide better training; don't just promote your drinking buddies to management positions, and need more positive feedback to emplyees.

Traditional, conservative; small bank trying to act like one of the big boys

I have been working at National City

ProsTraditional, conservative; small bank trying to act like one of the big boys. Decent place to work though if you're not super aggressive and need a nice work/life balance.

ConsAny positives that NCB had has now taken a large step back (operationally, compensation-wise, technologically, etc.) due to an even more primitive, conservative PNC Financial.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to talent - not just tenure

Too bad NCC is gone

EVP (Former Employee)

Pros* People who had a real devotion to NCC
* Sales force had a real interest in the customers of the bank
* Genuine support for the markets it served

Cons* Highly silo-focused organization
* Leadership that was detached from details (ala risk management)
* Very short-sighted approach to regulator and street-management

Advice to Senior Management* Don't wait until it's too late to enact change
* When change is necessary, get on with it
* Leaders are appreciated for leading, not for being nice - don't be nasty for the sake of being nasty and don't be nice when hard-nosed is required

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat culture
Excellent opportunities
Strategically focused to grow the business
Willing to let managers own and drive the business

ConsPoor decision/timing on the sub prime market
NCB's acquisition by PNC has identified some cultural business philosophy difference between the two groups.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your pledge to observe, learn, and analyze the practices in both NCB and PNC before you decide how to proceed.

Great position for students looking to gain experience within the banking industry

Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at National City

ProsHours are extremely flexible to fit your school schedule. Staff is extremely helpful with their instruction. Opportunity for advancement exists

ConsCan become monotonous at times, but that is to be expected with most internships.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe integration with PNC has gone surprisingly smoothly considering the size of the task. Keep up the good work

National City

I have been working at National City

ProsLarge corp with lots of job postings with preference always given to internal candidates. Benefits are above average for corporations.

ConsPolitics get in the way of sound management. Management deadlines result in poor performance, employees held accountable, management is not.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to plan. "Doing" without planning results in "re-doing". Spend less time blaming someone, spend more time preventing issues.

Nice work if you can get it.

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at National City

ProsHistorically, there has been plenty of room for advancement; managers are usually supportive of those who want to try a different career path.

Generally, the lower ranks are composed of smart people who care about their business.

The retail network is unparalleled. I have always worked with people who like people, and like helping others.

ConsThere is too much bureaucracy. Things take much too long to get done. There are always too many parties involved and too much talking, not enough doing.

I have seen too many instances of people being promoted because their resumes look better than their actual performance. This has resulted in a culture of very polished but not terribly knowledgeable senior managers. There are too many truly talented people jumping ship because they're not pedigreed enough to promote.

There's a lot of siloing between lines of business. Sometimes I'm working on something and find out that the same project is going on in another part of the bank. More communication between department heads would be helpful.

Advice to Senior ManagementNote to PNC: less McKinsey consultants, more people who actually know banking. Oh, and stick to what NCB does best- boring checking, savings, and straight mortgages to people who can prove how much they earn.

Good place to start a career.

Corporate Banker (Current Employee)

ProsPositives:

The people at NCC are truly best in class. Even though NCC is a big company 30K+, there is a close nit community feel. Additionally, meeting with upper level management is practice that is encouraged.

Negatives:
Considering that NCC Is a close nit environment company, your advancement is highly weighted on who you know and who knows you and your abilities.

ConsNCC needs to do a better job at integrating their customer data. Extracting accurate data about customers and market segments can be very difficult and frustrating. There are multiple systems that are not linked.

The company was recently taken over my PNC. Therefore, I am not sure how many jobs will be cut as a result.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be affair to make a decision.

Worked for National City? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National City reviews and ratings in Cleveland, OH — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for National City CEO Peter E. Raskind. All 24 reviews posted anonymously by National City employees.