National City

Be The First To
Add Photos

National City Chairman, President, and CEO Peter E. Raskind

Peter E. Raskind

Pros
  • Great People and good work life balance(in 5 reviews)

• The hours are good and they offer good benefits package(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • PNC took over and destoryed the department I worked in now we a no more then customer service reps(in 5 reviews)

• Currently going through a merger with PNC and a lot is unknown(in 3 reviews)

Overall good place to work for

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Kalamazoo, MI

ProsPlenty of opportunities for advancement. Promotes from within.

ConsThe pay doesn't seem to be the best, and not most qualified necessarily in supervisory roles (I have never applied to be a supervisor just an observation).

Advice to Senior ManagementMerit increases should be based on merit

Avoid National City until PNC takes over completely

Office Manager (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

Pros410k match, health benefits, average vacation time, decent flexibility,

Consmanagement has the leadership skills of a gerbil. Raises are almost non-existent. You get less of a raise than inflation. You never know when they are going to fire you because they set ridiculously high goals and then most people don't meet them so they can pick and choose who to fire. Upper management could care less about you as a person or for any career development. This company just passes down work all the way to the bottom. Senior management passes to vice presidents, who then pass on to people who work for them. Therefore people in the middle don't do anything but dish out work then monitor you working.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more conservative. The reason why you had to sell was because you were going to go bankrupt from all the risky loans and outrageous rates. Stop pushing so hard for sales and do it the right way.

Nice work if you can get it.

Project Manager (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsHistorically, there has been plenty of room for advancement; managers are usually supportive of those who want to try a different career path.

Generally, the lower ranks are composed of smart people who care about their business.

The retail network is unparalleled. I have always worked with people who like people, and like helping others.

ConsThere is too much bureaucracy. Things take much too long to get done. There are always too many parties involved and too much talking, not enough doing.

I have seen too many instances of people being promoted because their resumes look better than their actual performance. This has resulted in a culture of very polished but not terribly knowledgeable senior managers. There are too many truly talented people jumping ship because they're not pedigreed enough to promote.

There's a lot of siloing between lines of business. Sometimes I'm working on something and find out that the same project is going on in another part of the bank. More communication between department heads would be helpful.

Advice to Senior ManagementNote to PNC: less McKinsey consultants, more people who actually know banking. Oh, and stick to what NCB does best- boring checking, savings, and straight mortgages to people who can prove how much they earn.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to start a career.

Corporate Banker (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsPositives:

The people at NCC are truly best in class. Even though NCC is a big company 30K+, there is a close nit community feel. Additionally, meeting with upper level management is practice that is encouraged.

Negatives:
    Considering that NCC Is a close nit environment company, your advancement is highly weighted on who you know and who knows you and your abilities.

ConsNCC needs to do a better job at integrating their customer data. Extracting accurate data about customers and market segments can be very difficult and frustrating. There are multiple systems that are not linked.

The company was recently taken over my PNC. Therefore, I am not sure how many jobs will be cut as a result.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be affair to make a decision.

n/a

Branch Consumer Banking Specialist (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe corporation has a lot of great products for customers.

ConsThe bank is in the process of being acquired by PNC. I was an employee that was a part of the merger of MidAmerica Bank into National City in Feb. 2008. Now, we are going through another merger and acquisition, where the close of the sale (to PNC) will be complete by Dec. 31, 2008.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that you do extensive checks on Branch Management. While things are always "peachy" when executive management visits the branch, the moral of the branch is not always what it appears to be.

Used to be a great place to work

Project Manager (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsThe bank had great potential before being sold, with a great retail presence throughout the midwest and a great future. New leadership had been added to the bank recently but never had the chance to add more to the bottom line. Teh people at NCC are wonderful and very talented.

ConsThe bank is being sold, so a lot of uncertainty now. If all goes well with the merger then the new bank will be one of the top 5 banks in the coutry with lots of opportunities. It you join NCC now you'll have to deal with very well with uncertainty.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake staffing decisions quickly

If you are a dishonest salesmen then you will do very very well!

Licensed Financial Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsThey have great benefits. $1.15 for every dollar you put in with your 401(k). You will not get a match until you have been there for a year though. My base salary was pretty good. It was higher than all of the other offers I had. That is pretty much about it.

ConsHigh turnover. Don't think that is a good thing. It is a bad thing. If people above you are quitting a lot then there is a reason for that. Very dishonest way of doing business. As an LFC they only let you sell two investment products: mutual funds and annuities. There are times that it is impossible to do what is right for the client. A lot of LFC would be dishonest and just put everyone into annuties because it pays the highest commission. I'll give you an example. If you get a 100k rollover and put them in mutual funds your revenue would be about $2500.00. If you put them into annuities then it is $5000.00. The first month I walked in the door my quota was $9000 in revenue a month. If you have been in the sales business before then you know how hard it is just to get a 100k rollover. So it is easy to slip into being dishonest and pressing annuities onto everyone even though a CD might be more appropriate.

There are very dishonest people above you that will give you dishonest sales tactics. They will try to tell you to scare the customers about the FDIC and they will then feel frightened enough to buy an annuity. If you are a dishonest person then this is the right job for you. The average person makes about 43k a year. If you are super dishonest and very organized then you can make between 50 and 60k a year.

Don't plan on moving up anytime soon. Once you are in this role you are pretty much stuck. The next promotion would be a retail financial advisor. They make the big bucks and don't do much work. Everytime an LFC makes a sale they make even more in commission. They make more than you do! They are supposed to be a support role. If you have a good one then great. If you have a bad one then you are screwed! These people make a lot of money so there is very little turnover unlike all of the other positions at NCC. You have to wait until that one person retires or dies before you get to move up. Then you have to compete with a bunch of other dishonest LFCs that have been racking up the revenue by selling annuities to people that don't even understand them.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the LFCs sell more than just annuities and mutual funds. It is impossible to do what is right for the client. If someone is selling annuities to everyone that walks in the door then they need to be looked at close to see what kind of sales practices they are using. $9000 in revenue each month is way too high when you first walk in the door.

Not great

Assistant (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsFor people with families, National City was a great workplace. In my experience, they were flexible in terms of giving employees the time off needed to address family issues or obligations.

ConsIt is very difficult to get fired. This means that people with little talent or ability can drain resources as stronger employees struggle to improve the company. In addition, employees with potential are not encouraged in career or job growth because the squeaky wheels are being attended to. Communication from top to bottom is lacking. Lower-level employees are always the last to know about company developments or changes - the media usually reports the story before company leaders bother to communicate with employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire (or promote) managers who have experience and strong intuition regarding communication and leadership.

Think again...

Licensed Financial Consultant (Current Employee) Kalamazoo, MI

ProsThe benefits are great, but they are fairly consistent with other comparable banks. As with other banks, you get federal holidays off, generous 401(k) contribution matches, and plenty of sick time. Also, after a couple of years of service, you have the option of buying more vacation time which is nice.

ConsThe pay leaves a bit to be desired and their commission structure is bordering on ridiculous. In my particular position, I have duties on both the bank and investment side so there is no clear cut role that I play and I have seem to become a catch all for all the jobs my manager doesn't want to do, whether it is my responsibility or not.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more, educate more, and take care of your employees

Too bad.

Software Architect (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsNational City is one of the best places to work in Information Technology in the Cleveland area. At least it was until it was acquired. There was plenty of opportunity from entry level to work your way up the technology ladder. It seems like it may be difficult to make the transition from technology to management if that is your interest or desire. Also, I didn't come in at an entry level so I'm not so sure it's easy to advance but I saw a few people make some decent career transitions. Anyway, the bank has probably been sold so it may be irrelevant.

ConsIt may not exist shortly.

Advice to Senior ManagementBummer.

Worked for National City? Contribute to the Community!