National City Mortgage

National City Mortgage Reviews

Updated October 4, 2014
Updated October 4, 2014

Joe Cartellone

I thoroughly enjoyed working for this company

Former Employee - Executive Administrator in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Executive Administrator in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at National City Mortgage full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Leadership and opportunities for advancement

Cons

Company got bought out by another bank

N/A

Great benefits but work you like a dog with those quotas.

Current Employee - Document Control Officer in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Document Control Officer in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at National City Mortgage full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, start from day 1.

Cons

Quotas to meet like every job does but they worked you very hard.

You closed the site that put out the most packages and met quality standards, due to a business decision. You could have closed a smaller site that didn't put out as much and put us in a smaller office.

Typical mortgage company

I worked at National City Mortgage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Career advancement, nice coworkers, decent pay

Cons

Lack of coaching opportunities, poor communication

A decent place for fresh graduates, limited growth past 2 years

Former Employee - Valuation Analyst in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Valuation Analyst in Dayton, OH

I worked at National City Mortgage

Pros

The work hour is excellent, 8 hour work day, early days around holidays and easy access to medical appointsments during the day whenever needed. Worked over time only twice in two years. Manager is supportive and encouraging and willing to teach many things and offer a lot of opportunities which allow analysts to pursue area of interest.

The Review is fair and timely feedback is available should you mess up/did great.

Cons

The Pay is not that great compared to similar positions, but given the hours and benefits, i would rank it fair for fresh grads out of college.

The opportunity is very limited, once you learn all about your job with in 1-2 years, there is lack of new challenge to keep you interested. If you are just looking for a job that gives $$$ and sense of settling down, it may work great, otherwise, it's smart to move on.

It's important to keep young minds interested.

Its all in who the supervisor is

I have been working at National City Mortgage

Pros

Good company to work for benifits are good. But if you get the wrong supervisor forget about getting anywhere in the future.

Cons

Lots of petty back biting. managment favorites, and politics.

Watch your supervisers. they keep alot of good people back. ask employees how things are going without managment interfering. make it anonomus. people are so afraid of loosing their jobs they wont say anything bad is going on.

NCM--Is there still hope?

I have been working at National City Mortgage

Pros

This used to be a nice environment to work in the management was supportive and helpful. Hopefully since PNC has purchased NCM, things will move back towards the positive. The relaxed, positive atmosphere that was still productive and effiecient was the biggest draw to working at National City Mortgage. Howver since the "displacements" began two years ago, that has gone to the wayside.

Cons

It feels though everyone just buys their time. With all the lay offs that have occured in the past few years, people just don't have a positive attitude and it shows. We spend most of our days monitoring the work that is done off-shore and correcting their mistakes, which are quite costly in penalties and insterest that accrues.

Get moral back up...do whatever it takes. Bring the off shore duties that aren't working out back in house and let us do what we had gotten pretty good at before you took it away. It is hard to come to work and play baby-sitter to a job function that we handled very effectively that was sent off-shore.

Look Elsewhere

Former Employee - Document Administrator in Miamisburg, OH
    Former Employee - Document Administrator in Miamisburg, OH

I worked at National City Mortgage

Pros

I worked with a great bunch of people. Even when times were hectic or got tough through layoffs we still managed to have some great socializing events.

Cons

Company is losing money hand over fist and so outsourcing jobs in order to save money. Never felt that Management quite appreciated the work we grunts did. Add in the current (October '08) economic climate...

Be more open and honest. Two weeks before the layoffs that affected me were announced, we had a meeting that included some higher management who assured us our jobs were safe. Also, don't announce layoffs one week and CEO bonuses in the $millions the next.

National City is a good company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at National City Mortgage

Pros

Advancement, pay, great communication, management support, training and cont. training, and most of all Holidays off. At NCC you can go as far as you want if you work at it. You are rewarded for good work!

Cons

Some Office/Sales branch managers need to go, seems many are lazy and de-motivating. Branch offices hours of service are to long and not well staffed.

Look at your branch managers, could be ghost payroll or pay to play.

It's a Job in the Dismal Dayton Market

I have been working at National City Mortgage

Pros

National City Mortgage does provide a good benefits package. If in the right area of the company there is room for career advancement and professional growth.

Cons

National City Mortgage has chosen to outsource a fair number of jobs to India. As a result this has created a "you never know when your job will go" type atmosphere. Also as a result of outsourcing a lot of areas are now nothing but dead-end jobs with no where to go. Another downside to working for NCM is the annual raise increases are pitiful. The most anyone can get is 5% with most people recieving a 2% - 3% annual raise.

Wake-up and listen to your employees. Upper management makes too many decisions based soley on money and with little to no regard of the processors input. Lower managament tends to play the rumor mill and cliquey cards too much.

Just another cog in the mortgage industry.

I have been working at National City Mortgage

Pros

If you don't want to think very hard and just want to do what you're told, this place is for you. Also worth considering if you can talk about the efficiencies of outsourcing with a straight face.

Cons

The mortgage sector, especially NCM, is extremely scared of risk. If you have big ideas, are creative, or want to make a name for yourself trying to improve processes, look elsewhere. Most managers keep information very tight. Trying to do any kind of process analysis or get buy-in on any project that might make things more efficient is nearly impossible.

- How is it good for the company/country if you outsource jobs? Someone in Bangalore will not be applying for a home loan or opening a checking account!
    - Find the managers who hold up projects for no reason and make uninformed decisions that waste millions of dollars.