National City

National City Reviews

3.3

National City Chairman, President, and CEO Peter E. Raskind
Peter E. Raskind

Pros
  • Great People and good work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• The hours are good and they offer good benefits package (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • PNC took over and destoryed the department I worked in now we a no more then customer service reps (in 5 reviews)

• Currently going through a merger with PNC and a lot is unknown (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Used to be a fine company

Current Employee - Business Analyst II
    Current Employee - Business Analyst II

I have been working at National City

Pros

Especially in I.S., many opportunities for a good salary without having to become a manager; however, there is very much a sense of being constrained by the way things have "always been done."

Cons

The biggest con is obvious to anyone who knows anything about the company -- you are nearly guaranteed to work in a department hit by layoffs in the next 2 years.

It's been nearly 9 months since the acquisition was announced -- stop planning and talking about the need for communication and start actually communicating.

NCC

I have been working at National City

Pros

Decent pay, and good benefits for some job positions. They offer some good products, which makes it easier to sell.

Cons

Not very good communication between upper management and branches. Too much of a focus on selling, and sometimes can overlook customer needs

Keep your employees more informed about decisions that are made, especially throughout mergers. My specific location has gone through 3 mergers in 6 years, and we really just want to know what is going on.

Decent place to work if your job is secure.

Current Employee - Underwriter in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Dayton, OH

I have been working at National City

Pros

Good benefits, hours, and atmosphere. Most of your coworkers are good people. The time off, benefits, 401k, etc. were all pretty good. Mostly better than average. We had a good area for breaks, lunch, etc. There were some fun things planned to keep morale up like free cookouts, etc.

Cons

Unstable mortgage and lending market, risk of layoff. Although there were a lot of jobs open that you could transfer into, they always seemed to go to someone who was already in that department. It seemed like it was more important who you knew, or how long you'd been there. Not necessarily how good your work perform was.

Try to keep employment more stable.

National City, a beautiful flower wilting in the sunset....

Current Employee - Branch Customer Service Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Branch Customer Service Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at National City

Pros

Great Benefits, even for part time employees including tuition reimbursement up to $10,000 a year for grad school! Very flexible environment as long as you have a good immediate supervisor.

Cons

Antiquated ways of doing everything!! It seems like they decided 1985 was the height of technology and have stuck with it ever since. Opportunities to advance seem to be lacking, of course that could be due to the fact the company has been purchased by PNC. Sometimes it seems like you have to jump up and down to get management to notice you for a promotion even if you've done a good job. It seems like certain managers play favorites.

I will be glad to see these guys replaced by PNC execs.

its...ok I guess

Current Employee - Licensed Financial Consultant in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Licensed Financial Consultant in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at National City

Pros

If you are looking for a salaried position with some (but not great) commision. In the interview process they will try to start you in the low $30s but it is negotiable. Just show them you are a great sales person. First you will interview with HR, then Regional FA, then branch manager.

Cons

it is a duel role (licensed financial consultant) so you will be half customer service (regarding bank accounts) and half financial advisor. Way too many meetings and way too little options regarding investments. You are lucky if you make $60k a year with commisions. They tell you you can double your salary but when you look around at who is doing that its way to few who are. Its all about the market you are in (the branch you will be working with) thats why I left.

Broaden your investment options and specialize the role instead of having the LFC do everything.

Mislead and bad working environment.

Former Employee - Loss Prevention Senior Specialist in Royal Oak, MI
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention Senior Specialist in Royal Oak, MI

I worked at National City

Pros

The work was simple repetitive tasks. Once you learned what to do, it was 'easy' work.

Cons

Work was extremely repetitive.
    Horrible Management, who relied on e-mails to communicate everything. If they were a desk away, they would e-mail you to say "can you come over to see me". Very impersonal.

Also I was mislead during interview in thinking there were additional opportunities - basically lied to.

Once you are working there, you have no control on what other positions you will be doing. If Management want to move you... you get a day or so notice and you are required to move.

Don't lie to employees.
    Give feedback often, including positive.

If the NCB mgmt style is gone with the PNC merger, then it should be okay

Former Employee - Retail Investment Officer in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Retail Investment Officer in Louisville, KY

I worked at National City

Pros

The best reason to work for National City is their benefits but that will probably change with the merger with PNC. The 401K match was very generous except it was with bank stock and most employees probably kept the stock which turned out to be a big mistake! Also, there are truly some very dedicated and professional employees who work in the bank branches who are a pleasure to work beside!

Cons

The coach them up or coach them out management style is the true downside of working at National City. There are people who have been promoted into upper management positions who have had no Organizational Behavior training or Human Resources classes and actually could be putting the bank in postion to be sued with some of their actions. Public ridicule of employees actually occurred in meetings, and I was included in sales meetings which myself and other employees called the "de-motivation" meetings. National City failed for a lot of reasons not just because of the disastrous First Franklin purchase if the behavior of the managers in Louisville was indicative of the rest of the organization. Hopefully, PNC will rid itself of most of the management of National City and keep most of the "worker bees" because they are the true heart of the organization and they have made the retail part of the bank successful.

Re-evaluate your management style. You've re-arranged things a couple of times but you keep using a top down approach. Why don't you try evaluating from the bottom? You do this Gallup poll every year but it doesn't seem to change anything. Middle management needs some work. Some of these folks do not know how to manage people. Their quarterly bonuses drive their management style and I get a quarterly bonus too but I would never ever have let my LFCs think that was my priority more than servicing my clients or assisting them! That is just not the right message to send to the people who do not get the bonus.

Excellent Place to Work

Current Employee - Office Manager in Canton, MI
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Canton, MI

I have been working at National City

Pros

opportunities for advancement, training, time off and paid holidays. hours are excellent and work/life balance is stronly encouraged.

Cons

dealing with customers regarding things beyond your control (policies & procedures)

keep up the great work! This is a great place to work.

The worst decision I made was moving to National City.

Current Employee - Licensed Financial Consultant in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Licensed Financial Consultant in Louisville, KY

I have been working at National City

Pros

The pay was very good on the base salary.

Cons

The payout on the investement side was miniscule, between 3-15%. The management is poorly structured with a divide between the investment and bank side and the LFCs caught in between. Some of the Branch Managers have the old mentality that you selling investments is taking away from their deposit base. There is a lack of a good support system. The branch managers spend 75% of their time our of the office on "business calls." When the branch manager is in the office, they refuse to actually do any work, such as opening accounts. I actually had multiple ocassions when I was in the break room eating lunch, and the branch manager came and got me to have me open an account, even though they were doing nothing. The disciplinary techniques are very strange. Your manager will not say anything to you about how you are doing, but then will write you up for something that they never got an explanation for, until the write-up is occurring, and when there is a completely logical explanation, they don't care.

Actually ask questions before writing somebody up, and don't write people up based on hearsay. Have some integrity.

Okay place to work depending on your location

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at National City

Pros

Current 401k match 1.15:1, may be changing after PNC merger complete
    Working with the public and establishing relationships with a reputable company
    Great Product set

Cons

Currently going through a merger with PNC and a lot is unknown
    Pressure from management to prioritize their needs while completing regular duties
    Lending Guidlines are very strict
    High Turnover

Communicate with lower level employees, they are the heart of your organization.