National City Reviews

Updated March 29, 2014

3.3

National City Chairman, President, and CEO Peter E. Raskind
Peter E. Raskind

Pros
  • Great People and good work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• The hours are good and they offer good benefits package (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • PNC took over and destoryed the department I worked in now we a no more then customer service reps (in 5 reviews)

• Currently going through a merger with PNC and a lot is unknown (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall good place to work for

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at National City

Pros

Plenty of opportunities for advancement. Promotes from within.

Cons

The pay doesn't seem to be the best, and not most qualified necessarily in supervisory roles (I have never applied to be a supervisor just an observation).

Merit increases should be based on merit

Avoid National City until PNC takes over completely

Current Employee - Office Manager  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at National City

Pros

410k match, health benefits, average vacation time, decent flexibility,

Cons

management has the leadership skills of a gerbil. Raises are almost non-existent. You get less of a raise than inflation. You never know when they are going to fire you because they set ridiculously high goals and then most people don't meet them so they can pick and choose who to fire. Upper management could care less about you as a person or for any career development. This company just passes down work all the way to the bottom. Senior management passes to vice presidents, who then pass on to people who work for them. Therefore people in the middle don't do anything but dish out work then monitor you working.

Be more conservative. The reason why you had to sell was because you were going to go bankrupt from all the risky loans and outrageous rates. Stop pushing so hard for sales and do it the right way.

n/a

Current Employee - Branch Consumer Banking Specialist  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Branch Consumer Banking Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at National City

Pros

The corporation has a lot of great products for customers.

Cons

The bank is in the process of being acquired by PNC. I was an employee that was a part of the merger of MidAmerica Bank into National City in Feb. 2008. Now, we are going through another merger and acquisition, where the close of the sale (to PNC) will be complete by Dec. 31, 2008.

Make sure that you do extensive checks on Branch Management. While things are always "peachy" when executive management visits the branch, the moral of the branch is not always what it appears to be.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Used to be a great place to work

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at National City

Pros

The bank had great potential before being sold, with a great retail presence throughout the midwest and a great future. New leadership had been added to the bank recently but never had the chance to add more to the bottom line. Teh people at NCC are wonderful and very talented.

Cons

The bank is being sold, so a lot of uncertainty now. If all goes well with the merger then the new bank will be one of the top 5 banks in the coutry with lots of opportunities. It you join NCC now you'll have to deal with very well with uncertainty.

Make staffing decisions quickly

If you are a dishonest salesmen then you will do very very well!

Former Employee - Licensed Financial Consultant
    Former Employee - Licensed Financial Consultant

I worked at National City

Pros

They have great benefits. $1.15 for every dollar you put in with your 401(k). You will not get a match until you have been there for a year though. My base salary was pretty good. It was higher than all of the other offers I had. That is pretty much about it.

Cons

High turnover. Don't think that is a good thing. It is a bad thing. If people above you are quitting a lot then there is a reason for that. Very dishonest way of doing business. As an LFC they only let you sell two investment products: mutual funds and annuities. There are times that it is impossible to do what is right for the client. A lot of LFC would be dishonest and just put everyone into annuties because it pays the highest commission. I'll give you an example. If you get a 100k rollover and put them in mutual funds your revenue would be about $2500.00. If you put them into annuities then it is $5000.00. The first month I walked in the door my quota was $9000 in revenue a month. If you have been in the sales business before then you know how hard it is just to get a 100k rollover. So it is easy to slip into being dishonest and pressing annuities onto everyone even though a CD might be more appropriate.

There are very dishonest people above you that will give you dishonest sales tactics. They will try to tell you to scare the customers about the FDIC and they will then feel frightened enough to buy an annuity. If you are a dishonest person then this is the right job for you. The average person makes about 43k a year. If you are super dishonest and very organized then you can make between 50 and 60k a year.

Don't plan on moving up anytime soon. Once you are in this role you are pretty much stuck. The next promotion would be a retail financial advisor. They make the big bucks and don't do much work. Everytime an LFC makes a sale they make even more in commission. They make more than you do! They are supposed to be a support role. If you have a good one then great. If you have a bad one then you are screwed! These people make a lot of money so there is very little turnover unlike all of the other positions at NCC. You have to wait until that one person retires or dies before you get to move up. Then you have to compete with a bunch of other dishonest LFCs that have been racking up the revenue by selling annuities to people that don't even understand them.

Let the LFCs sell more than just annuities and mutual funds. It is impossible to do what is right for the client. If someone is selling annuities to everyone that walks in the door then they need to be looked at close to see what kind of sales practices they are using. $9000 in revenue each month is way too high when you first walk in the door.

Nice work if you can get it.

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at National City

Pros

Historically, there has been plenty of room for advancement; managers are usually supportive of those who want to try a different career path.

Generally, the lower ranks are composed of smart people who care about their business.

The retail network is unparalleled. I have always worked with people who like people, and like helping others.

Cons

There is too much bureaucracy. Things take much too long to get done. There are always too many parties involved and too much talking, not enough doing.

I have seen too many instances of people being promoted because their resumes look better than their actual performance. This has resulted in a culture of very polished but not terribly knowledgeable senior managers. There are too many truly talented people jumping ship because they're not pedigreed enough to promote.

There's a lot of siloing between lines of business. Sometimes I'm working on something and find out that the same project is going on in another part of the bank. More communication between department heads would be helpful.

Note to PNC: less McKinsey consultants, more people who actually know banking. Oh, and stick to what NCB does best- boring checking, savings, and straight mortgages to people who can prove how much they earn.

Good place to start a career.

Current Employee - Corporate Banker  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Corporate Banker in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at National City

Pros

Positives:

The people at NCC are truly best in class. Even though NCC is a big company 30K+, there is a close nit community feel. Additionally, meeting with upper level management is practice that is encouraged.

Negatives:
    Considering that NCC Is a close nit environment company, your advancement is highly weighted on who you know and who knows you and your abilities.

Cons

NCC needs to do a better job at integrating their customer data. Extracting accurate data about customers and market segments can be very difficult and frustrating. There are multiple systems that are not linked.

The company was recently taken over my PNC. Therefore, I am not sure how many jobs will be cut as a result.

Don't be affair to make a decision.

Too bad.

Current Employee - Software Architect  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Software Architect in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at National City

Pros

National City is one of the best places to work in Information Technology in the Cleveland area. At least it was until it was acquired. There was plenty of opportunity from entry level to work your way up the technology ladder. It seems like it may be difficult to make the transition from technology to management if that is your interest or desire. Also, I didn't come in at an entry level so I'm not so sure it's easy to advance but I saw a few people make some decent career transitions. Anyway, the bank has probably been sold so it may be irrelevant.

Cons

It may not exist shortly.

Bummer.

Great place to start a career, but only a stepping stone to better things.

Former Employee - Consumer Banker  in  Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - Consumer Banker in Lexington, KY

I worked at National City

Pros

Fantastic training program. This company will not just throw you out to sink or swim. Starting on as a Customer Service Representative I was given 2 full weeks of paid training on all the basics: product training, cash handling, customer service, core systems, procedures, and policies. I was then given a few days to "shadow" the head teller. Over the next few weeks I was trained on how to sell products and tricks to speed up my transactions. This company is very strong in their training and I would recommend this company to anyone looking to start a career in banking.

Cons

Very cut-throat. But that is the nature of the beast in working for a financial company. Everyone's performance is based on the numbers and customer service. The pressure starts from the top and is pushed down. Senior management expects unrealistic expectations. If a branch exceeds their goal on a good month they are expected to meet that the next. So a branch manager will look bad if their team is not meeting their numbers. You are reviewed monthly and if you are not meeting your numbers you may be wrote up and if you are meeting your numbers they will be raised.

I would suggest more feedback from tellers rather than the "platform" side. I have been on both sides and feel that the tellers are treated as if they do not exist. Once I was given a desk the district manager finally remembered my name. I would suggest re-evaluating the incentive plan as well. The customer service leaders only receive a bonus if their team meets all of their goals. That means that as a CSL if you exceed your goals by 200% that month to pick up the slack and a teller of yours has not sold a single account you do not receive a payout.

Hold on to your hats.

Current Employee - Licensed Financial Consultant  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Licensed Financial Consultant in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at National City

Pros

Working with a good group of people. They have decent benefits.

Cons

Not knowing if you are going to make it thru the merger. Right now you are a number in the system. Some people are trying to justify ther positions and making things very difficult to do business. Sometimes you feel micro managed.

Be a little more forthcoming with information. It felt like we were being used. I understand some things needed to be kept quiet, but don't flat out lie.

Worked for National City? Contribute to the Community!