National City

Be The First To
Add Photos

National City Chairman, President, and CEO Peter E. Raskind

Peter E. Raskind

Pros
  • Great People and good work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• The hours are good and they offer good benefits package (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • PNC took over and destoryed the department I worked in now we a no more then customer service reps (in 5 reviews)

• Currently going through a merger with PNC and a lot is unknown (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Hold on to your hats.

Licensed Financial Consultant (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsWorking with a good group of people. They have decent benefits.

ConsNot knowing if you are going to make it thru the merger. Right now you are a number in the system. Some people are trying to justify ther positions and making things very difficult to do business. Sometimes you feel micro managed.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a little more forthcoming with information. It felt like we were being used. I understand some things needed to be kept quiet, but don't flat out lie.

Think again...

Licensed Financial Consultant (Current Employee) Kalamazoo, MI

ProsThe benefits are great, but they are fairly consistent with other comparable banks. As with other banks, you get federal holidays off, generous 401(k) contribution matches, and plenty of sick time. Also, after a couple of years of service, you have the option of buying more vacation time which is nice.

ConsThe pay leaves a bit to be desired and their commission structure is bordering on ridiculous. In my particular position, I have duties on both the bank and investment side so there is no clear cut role that I play and I have seem to become a catch all for all the jobs my manager doesn't want to do, whether it is my responsibility or not.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more, educate more, and take care of your employees

Good benifits if you get to keep your job.

Operations Associate (O10) (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsGreat 401k 125% match for 6%. (but it is in NCC, whice is in the tank (down 40% in 2008) but I guess now would be a good time to get it while it is low, it can only go up right?) They also have a great slection of health and insurance plans. You can even customive a plan to have just what you want. Also you automaticly get life insurance equil to 2x your salary.

ConsThey just laid off like 4,000 people. So as we are in a world of baink failures, I would be afraid of not keeping the job that I just got.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, they know how to do their job. Also don't let people know you got a $20k raise and then tell some one only making $25k that there is not enough money in the budget for them to get a col raise of 2%.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

End of a great one....

Licensed Financial Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsSalary i benefits are fairly solid. I really like the people that I work with. I find them to be very in the know and interested in helping you be successful. I think National City could be a great place to work and build a career. It has the consumer base that they need. It has employees that can handle the things that are thrown at them.

ConsManagement is all over the board and really has no idea on how the banking industry is supposed to go which is why they will soon be PNC. They are really focused on Werks Perks accounts which are usually people that are making $9 an hour and have very few relationships with the banks other than their checking and savings. They need to really focus on defining the positions and what their duties are. The commission structure has suffered quite a bit. When you have an idea, management will listen and then throw it into a bowl of nothing and forget about it. Cleveland is very bad at listening to what you you have to say about anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate more doing what is right for the customer and less on how many werks perks accounts you open. There is more to banking and expanding relationships. Management really needs to focus on using the input from the workers not in the back office, that see what goes on and know what would help give National City a smoother process for every part of their business. Management gets one thing in it's head and goes for it without really giving it a go over with those with the constant customer experience and contact..

NCC stock on its way up!

Licensed Financial Consultant (Current Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

ProsIt seems that all of the senior management has been with the company 30+ years. It is rare to see a company with such a long standing group that really knows how to treat people. The company rally's are not like any I've ever attended. There is really a lot of hard work and going the extra mile when putting together a business seminar.

ConsThe stock is low right now and the 401(k) plan automatically matches with company stock. It is easy to shift the money into a safer investment, however, not many of the employees do. So a big hit to the stock really has personal feeling throughout the bank.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep National City its own bank. Don't sell it even if a good bidder comes along. The culture here is just right.

Auditors get in and get out...

IT Auditor (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsNational City is a great place to work if you are looking for a work life balance. The benefits package far exceeded those from my past companies including a very generous 401K. Overall, people are friendly and easy to work with and the political landscape seems a little more moderate than what you would expect from a conservative midwest bank. Management expects that you do your job and there is not a lot of micro management. Feedback is given honestly and often. Senior management do seem to care about their employees and how National City fits into their career track.

ConsSome may be concerned about the condition of National City and possibility of a buy out from another regional bank. There were several lay offs in other departments (Mortgage) during my tenure. However, the company seems to be more stable recently and job security is looking better. Career progression in my field looked a little dim and movement to management positions were slower than expected. However, Senior Analyst / Associate positions were widely available and easily attainable for those with the right drive. Cleveland, OH is not the most exciting city in the world, but the downtown area seems to be making a move in the right direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementDetermine a career track for employees looking to move into management.

Opp for advancement but tough market conditions require lots of patience

Senior Vice President/Director (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsGood benefits and wellness programs

ConsBetween the company reorgs, acquisitions, divestitures and the market/economy---there is a lot to overcome and tolerate.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore frequent and relevant communications. Don't just tell us what you think customers should know. We're your greatest asset-treat us that way.

Overall an average workplace.

Summer Employee (Former Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsThe work environment is very friendly. People are always working together and willing to help one another. However, when it comes down to work, everyone is on top of their assignments.

ConsBenefits are about average. There is nothing special that really brings people in. The company is nothing special. You can go to any bank in the area and find similar pay, benefits, and continuing education programs.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on work-life balance and provide employees with more opportunities for outside the office activities.

i used to work for national city bank...

Teller (Former Employee) West Bloomfield, MI

Prosthis is a good and respectable job to have. There is plenty of Opportunity for advancement here at national city bank. you have a great schedule with great bankers hours. They are closed on sunday and they are only open for a half a day on saturdays. if you meet your referral goals you get paid a cash bonus. when you are hired they require you to go through a two week training class. You do get paid for the training. the training class is very thorough and very helpful. You have all legal holidays off and paid vacations each year.

Consif you have small children and need to leave work unexpectedly this is not the job you want!

Advice to Senior Managementbe more family friendly!!!

I am proud and happy to be working for National City.

Branch Manager (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsNational City provides great opportunity for career and compenstion improvement. Employees are treated with respect and given the opportunity to give feedback on relevent topics. There is genuine interest shown in our personal and professional pursuits. The compensation, insurance, retirement, and medical benefits are generous. Paid time off is also generous and is supportive of a healthy work/life balance. Management is approachable and open to concerns. Our brand promise is to do what is right for our customers. Although we have sales goals and receive incentive compensation for meeting them we are never encouraged to set up a product or service that is not in the best interest of the customer.

ConsThe Human Resource department is often not helpful in dealing with employee issues due to inconsistency in responses. The recruiting department also has a tendency to seem misdirected for the branches.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn spite of current market conditions and their effect on NCB in particular Senior Management has been supportive both personally and professionally by educating the employees on the status of our stability and has given us the knowledge and tools to respond to our customers concerns. I would like Senior Management to know how grateful I am for their support.

Worked for National City? Contribute to the Community!