National City

Updated March 29, 2014
3.3

National City Chairman, President, and CEO Peter E. Raskind
Peter E. Raskind

Pros
  • Great People and good work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• The hours are good and they offer good benefits package (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • PNC took over and destoryed the department I worked in now we a no more then customer service reps (in 5 reviews)

• Currently going through a merger with PNC and a lot is unknown (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to start a career, but only a stepping stone to better things.

Former Employee - Consumer Banker  in  Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - Consumer Banker in Lexington, KY

I worked at National City

Pros

Fantastic training program. This company will not just throw you out to sink or swim. Starting on as a Customer Service Representative I was given 2 full weeks of paid training on all the basics: product training, cash handling, customer service, core systems, procedures, and policies. I was then given a few days to "shadow" the head teller. Over the next few weeks I was trained on how to sell products and tricks to speed up my transactions. This company is very strong in their training and I would recommend this company to anyone looking to start a career in banking.

Cons

Very cut-throat. But that is the nature of the beast in working for a financial company. Everyone's performance is based on the numbers and customer service. The pressure starts from the top and is pushed down. Senior management expects unrealistic expectations. If a branch exceeds their goal on a good month they are expected to meet that the next. So a branch manager will look bad if their team is not meeting their numbers. You are reviewed monthly and if you are not meeting your numbers you may be wrote up and if you are meeting your numbers they will be raised.

I would suggest more feedback from tellers rather than the "platform" side. I have been on both sides and feel that the tellers are treated as if they do not exist. Once I was given a desk the district manager finally remembered my name. I would suggest re-evaluating the incentive plan as well. The customer service leaders only receive a bonus if their team meets all of their goals. That means that as a CSL if you exceed your goals by 200% that month to pick up the slack and a teller of yours has not sold a single account you do not receive a payout.

Hold on to your hats.

Current Employee - Licensed Financial Consultant  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Licensed Financial Consultant in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at National City

Pros

Working with a good group of people. They have decent benefits.

Cons

Not knowing if you are going to make it thru the merger. Right now you are a number in the system. Some people are trying to justify ther positions and making things very difficult to do business. Sometimes you feel micro managed.

Be a little more forthcoming with information. It felt like we were being used. I understand some things needed to be kept quiet, but don't flat out lie.

Good benifits if you get to keep your job.

Current Employee - Operations Associate (O10)  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Operations Associate (O10) in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at National City

Pros

Great 401k 125% match for 6%. (but it is in NCC, whice is in the tank (down 40% in 2008) but I guess now would be a good time to get it while it is low, it can only go up right?) They also have a great slection of health and insurance plans. You can even customive a plan to have just what you want. Also you automaticly get life insurance equil to 2x your salary.

Cons

They just laid off like 4,000 people. So as we are in a world of baink failures, I would be afraid of not keeping the job that I just got.

Listen to your employees, they know how to do their job. Also don't let people know you got a $20k raise and then tell some one only making $25k that there is not enough money in the budget for them to get a col raise of 2%.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

End of a great one....

Current Employee - Licensed Financial Consultant
    Current Employee - Licensed Financial Consultant

I have been working at National City

Pros

Salary i benefits are fairly solid. I really like the people that I work with. I find them to be very in the know and interested in helping you be successful. I think National City could be a great place to work and build a career. It has the consumer base that they need. It has employees that can handle the things that are thrown at them.

Cons

Management is all over the board and really has no idea on how the banking industry is supposed to go which is why they will soon be PNC. They are really focused on Werks Perks accounts which are usually people that are making $9 an hour and have very few relationships with the banks other than their checking and savings. They need to really focus on defining the positions and what their duties are. The commission structure has suffered quite a bit. When you have an idea, management will listen and then throw it into a bowl of nothing and forget about it. Cleveland is very bad at listening to what you you have to say about anything.

Concentrate more doing what is right for the customer and less on how many werks perks accounts you open. There is more to banking and expanding relationships. Management really needs to focus on using the input from the workers not in the back office, that see what goes on and know what would help give National City a smoother process for every part of their business. Management gets one thing in it's head and goes for it without really giving it a go over with those with the constant customer experience and contact..

NCC stock on its way up!

Current Employee - Licensed Financial Consultant  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Licensed Financial Consultant in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at National City

Pros

It seems that all of the senior management has been with the company 30+ years. It is rare to see a company with such a long standing group that really knows how to treat people. The company rally's are not like any I've ever attended. There is really a lot of hard work and going the extra mile when putting together a business seminar.

Cons

The stock is low right now and the 401(k) plan automatically matches with company stock. It is easy to shift the money into a safer investment, however, not many of the employees do. So a big hit to the stock really has personal feeling throughout the bank.

Keep National City its own bank. Don't sell it even if a good bidder comes along. The culture here is just right.

Auditors get in and get out...

Former Employee - IT Auditor  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - IT Auditor in Cleveland, OH

I worked at National City

Pros

National City is a great place to work if you are looking for a work life balance. The benefits package far exceeded those from my past companies including a very generous 401K. Overall, people are friendly and easy to work with and the political landscape seems a little more moderate than what you would expect from a conservative midwest bank. Management expects that you do your job and there is not a lot of micro management. Feedback is given honestly and often. Senior management do seem to care about their employees and how National City fits into their career track.

Cons

Some may be concerned about the condition of National City and possibility of a buy out from another regional bank. There were several lay offs in other departments (Mortgage) during my tenure. However, the company seems to be more stable recently and job security is looking better. Career progression in my field looked a little dim and movement to management positions were slower than expected. However, Senior Analyst / Associate positions were widely available and easily attainable for those with the right drive. Cleveland, OH is not the most exciting city in the world, but the downtown area seems to be making a move in the right direction.

Determine a career track for employees looking to move into management.

Opp for advancement but tough market conditions require lots of patience

Current Employee - Senior Vice President/Director  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President/Director in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at National City

Pros

Good benefits and wellness programs

Cons

Between the company reorgs, acquisitions, divestitures and the market/economy---there is a lot to overcome and tolerate.

More frequent and relevant communications. Don't just tell us what you think customers should know. We're your greatest asset-treat us that way.

Overall an average workplace.

Former Employee - Summer Employee  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Summer Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at National City

Pros

The work environment is very friendly. People are always working together and willing to help one another. However, when it comes down to work, everyone is on top of their assignments.

Cons

Benefits are about average. There is nothing special that really brings people in. The company is nothing special. You can go to any bank in the area and find similar pay, benefits, and continuing education programs.

Work on work-life balance and provide employees with more opportunities for outside the office activities.

i used to work for national city bank...

Former Employee - Teller  in  West Bloomfield, MI
    Former Employee - Teller in West Bloomfield, MI

I worked at National City

Pros

this is a good and respectable job to have. There is plenty of Opportunity for advancement here at national city bank. you have a great schedule with great bankers hours. They are closed on sunday and they are only open for a half a day on saturdays. if you meet your referral goals you get paid a cash bonus. when you are hired they require you to go through a two week training class. You do get paid for the training. the training class is very thorough and very helpful. You have all legal holidays off and paid vacations each year.

Cons

if you have small children and need to leave work unexpectedly this is not the job you want!

be more family friendly!!!

Hard work can pay off at NCC, but it can be very frustrating to work for them.

Current Employee - N/A  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - N/A in Chicago, IL

I have been working at National City

Pros

In Chicago, the company pays very well and if you are willing to work hard you will be promoted.

Cons

There can be long hours and the branches always seem to be understaffed. The investment services platform is light years behind an other large bank. It currently can take up to 4 hours to open a brokerage account.

The company as any another other bank is struggling with bad loans they have on their books. They company needs to get back to the basics and develop the branch retail investment business.

Worked for National City? Contribute to the Community!