National Community Reinvestment Coalition

John Taylor

Review of the National Community Reinvestment Coalition

Current Employee - Vice President of Research and Policy  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Vice President of Research and Policy in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Community Reinvestment Coalition full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The work is inspiring. NCRC's mission is to increase access to credit and capital and promote economic development in minority and low- and moderate-income communities. Key laws and regulations involve the Community Reinvestment Act, the fair lending laws, and laws and regulations involving the Government Sponsored Enterprises. Your work at NCRC has the potential to change the lives of hundreds of thousands if not millions of Americans. It is intellectually challenging as well. The CEO is a visionary and strong leader. The staff exhibits wonderful racial and gender diversity. The member organizations around the country are inspiring as well. I worked there for 19 years.

Cons

It is fast paced. Get used to multi-tasking. Make no mistake - you are David battling Goliath. If you are up to a Malcolm Gladwell challenge, you should work at NCRC. But it is not easy work and demands dedication and zeal.

Continue to invest in your workforce. Promote teamwork and collaboration. Continue to recruit the younger generation because we need the economic justice movement to grow and prosper.

Highly dysfunctional management; unhappy employees trying to do good work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at National Community Reinvestment Coalition full-time

Pros

Housing Counseling group does excellent work helping many families keep their homes. Some programs helping low to moderate income people have a level playing field in the purchase of a home are excellent. Women's business center is impressive as is the Minority business center. Generally employees are trying to do good work; management is self-aggrandizing and out-of-touch.

Cons

Management by bullying; lack of transparency in dealing with the board and funders; lack of follow-through on completing funded projects; few accomplishments in making banking changes for the betterment of low and middle income people. Foundations are concerned that NCRC is non-collaborative and they are correct.

Be transparent with the board and membership on sources of income -- most of the funding comes from banks.

Interesting that all the negative reviews are from short term staff who have left

Current Employee - Current Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Community Reinvestment Coalition full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Several staff have been here more than 5 years and surprisingly quite a few have been here for more than 10 years. There are two women senior staff, and there is a good diverse mix of individuals across the organization. Several of the comments indicate a dysfunctional work place or micromanagement- but still being here I know that the result is due to poor staff performance. The chief of staff had to review emails from a specific department because they were going out representing the organization riddled with typos and inaccuracies. Turn over is due to finally holding staff accountable and expecting excellent work. I find myself surrounded by people who care deeply about the work, are smart and happy. I see staff from across the organization at happy hours together, I have never heard of a union forming, but maybe that is because they wouldn't have invited me.
    It is also interesting to see the dates of the reviews - the timing is near to staff's termination, so disgruntled, fair enough, but keep perspective and be honest about why you left.
    Personally I feel that I have had a lot of autonomy in my work, I am not micro managed and have had plenty of professional advancement and development and I've been here just over 3 years as a full time employee.

Cons

Fast paced work environment, sometimes can't catch your breathe or constantly juggling and re-prioritizing projects.

Continue to hold staff accountable and make the tough decisions when needed.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't Get Sucked In - Run Away!

I worked at National Community Reinvestment Coalition full-time for more than a year

Pros

I can't think of any right now.

Cons

I just wanted to agree with EVERYTHING that is already on this site. Upper management is far more concerned with infighting and backstabbing (and getting their names in the press) than (1) genuinely helping low-income families or (2) supporting the careers of those who work for them.

Before I started, someone DID warn me, and I thought they were exaggerating. Unfortunately, after only 2 weeks I realized that their warnings were true.

I've seen employees be screamed at in front of other staff (unprofessional). HR sent a company-wide email threatening not to pay employees on time (illegal). Before I could send EMAILS to people at outside organizations, I had to have each individual email approved by the Chief of Staff (inefficient). I was told that friendships among staff was seen as "subversive" (paranoid). When the CEO caught wind of a happy hour (by listening to a voicemail left on his assistant's phone), he showed up to see what we were up to (more paranoia). Management intimidated an employee who they thought might be forming a union, even though they had no evidence of it (even more paranoia). The CEO wanted to give employees a pop-quiz at a meeting (WHAT?), and an unknowing employee was yelled at by the CEO because she was reading up on what the meeting was supposed to be about (?).

If you DO take a job at NCRC, do yourself a favor. Lay low, don't talk, and show no ambition. The only people who are successful there, are the people who can blend into the wallpaper.

Get new management.

Run away!!!

I worked at National Community Reinvestment Coalition full-time

Pros

The only good thing that came out of working for NCRC is that I can now identify (and avoid) dysfunctional organizations.

Cons

This place is a sinking pit. Everyone I know who still works there is looking for another job. Literally four people resigned today. FOUR. I have seen people quit after a week without a new job lined up. That is how bad this place is to work. The executive management is ineffective and incompetent. The CEO is a crooked bully, who couldn't care less about the success of programs. Working here has been a terrible experience and I'm so glad I will never have to deal with them again.

Treat employees better.

Dysfunctional Work Environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at National Community Reinvestment Coalition

Pros

NCRC is an organization with a tremendous goal. It's too bad the management seems to lack the knowledge and ability to achieve it.

Cons

NCRC's mission brings in some very talented individuals. Unfortunately these same people don't stay long due to low pay, incompetent and unprofessional management, and an overwhelmingly negative work environment.

If you have any other options at all, don't work here! This should be an absolute last resort.

I have been working at National Community Reinvestment Coalition full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most of the (non-senior) staff are cool people and you'll make some lasting friendships here.

Cons

All of the negative reviews already on this site are true. Unless you've worked there you cannot believe the level of dysfunction and mismanagement that occurs at this organization. Case in point: the 1 non-negative review clearly posted by a member of the senior staff whose defense against all of the other reviews is to attack employees and former employees saying that the reviews must come from incompetent, disgruntled former employees. Even if that were accurate, she's saying that the organization continually hires incompetent and passive-aggressive people that they then must either micro-manage or fire; how is that a positive?

Getting back to listing the cons: low pay, dishonest/unethical and incompetent management, constant in-fighting and power plays, complete lack of alignment between the organization's espoused mission and its reality, frequent investigations (many failed by NCRC) by grant-giving government organizations due to the aforementioned mismanagement, bizarre rules such as no group recognition of birthdays because of the management's paranoia, the list goes on and on.

All you need to know if you're considering working there is that I don't know a single person who works there who is happy. Everyone is looking for another job. In the approximately 18 months that I worked there at least 3-4 people quit or were fired every single month. That is an astounding turnover rate for an organization of less than 100 people. Many of the former employees remain friends and we literally have discussions about how our health and wellness improves the very day we say goodbye to this organization.

NCRC is a sinking ship. Don't be on it when it goes down if you don't have to be.

A completely new management team is needed.

The reason I became disenfranchised with non-profits.

I worked at National Community Reinvestment Coalition full-time

Pros

The organization’s mission is to provide opportunities for capital, and access to capital in low to moderate income communities.. Unfortunately, this does not happen due to internal power plays, dysfunctional management, lack of resources/access to resources, mismanagement, incompetency on almost every level, and a total lack of meaningful communication between departments and employees. The majority of the staff (non-Exec) employees are great, they will give you warnings, take note!!

Cons

It is impossible to achieve any goals (short-term to upward mobility), most employees stay for a period of weeks, to a couple of months as soon as they find out what is happening within the organization. I only wish this advise would have been available to me before I accepted a position with this organization. A red flag is the alarming turnover rates, ASK! - Why is this position open, and how many people have been in the position over the last year?

I would advise that entirely new management be put into place. There is constant, inflammatory in-fighting, at the cost of the mission of the organization. The CEO should resign his seat and in his place, put a knowledgeable CEO that can manage processes, and achieve goals.

Worked for National Community Reinvestment Coalition? Contribute to the Community!