National Conference of State Legislatures

William Pound

Great Internship

Intern (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at National Conference of State Legislatures as an intern for less than a year

ProsLearn a lot, People are nice, Good Location

ConsDC is expensive, you may be unpaid

short but interesting

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at National Conference of State Legislatures as a contractor for less than a year

ProsPeople at management level were quite friendly. The work was interesting and I got acknowledged for my work and effort, which was quite rewarding.

Consthere were usually quite a few interns in the office, and some of them saw each other as threats to there positions.

Director of Media and Public Affairs

Director of Media and Public Affairs (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at National Conference of State Legislatures part-time for more than 3 years

ProsCollegial work environment, good quality of life and work-life benefits, work load is equal to pay and supervisors provide timely feedback.

ConsLots of traveling and long work days. Deadlines are a constant with writing and web content updates.

Unless you are a left-leaning Democrat or Libertarian DO NOT apply here.

Policy Associate (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at National Conference of State Legislatures full-time for more than 3 years

ProsInteresting issues to work on; some travel to conferences and meetings.

ConsVery clique-centered environment: If you're not in sync with the progressive agenda, you won't have any chance at advancement. My issue writing was edited to make it more compatible with the progressive agenda. They're strongly for Obama, Global Climate Change, abortion rights, gun control and other liberal causes. They also require you to consult with your group director if you are interested in working on a political campaign - even as a volunteer. This shouldn't be a problem if it's for a Democrat. Some work on Sundays required depending on your group director.

Advice to Senior ManagementIntroduce transparency in performance evaluations and require that half of the group directors be Republicans. Make the Executive Director a term-limited position (four years max) and make it alternate between Democrat and Republican affiliation just like the President currently is.

A good place to work if you want to stay comfortable with little advancement.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at National Conference of State Legislatures full-time

Pros-Laid back environment
-Employees are usually treated fairly.
-Good work is recognized
-Flexible

Cons-Inter-office politics. This is one of the most political office environments I've ever worked in (I guess it should be expected since the service of the organization is in politics). One certain director is literally feared by some.

-High school-like gossip and drama.

-Once you leave the organization, managers and directors make it a point that they don't want anyone to be a reference for you. Even if you left on good terms.

-There is little room for advancement. Either have to wait until someone leaves or retires.

Great for the Resume, Not So-Great Long-Term

Policy Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at National Conference of State Legislatures

ProsRecognized by others as a reputable organization.
Opportunities for professional growth.
Overall well-intended employees and supervisors.
Flexible work hours available.
Travel to great conferences.

ConsPoor communication between programs and between the two offices.
Little to no opportunity to move up.
Compensation does not match employees’ skill-level.
Not flexible on working from home even in poor weather.
Huge gap (in age and pay) between program managers and associate-level employees.
Organizational chaos and poor ability to adapt.
Has done things the same way for years and inflexible in changing procedures.
Little support for grant-based positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication between programs and between the two offices.
Reward talented, innovative and loyal staff.
Allow employees to work from home.
Provide support for positions that are dependent on funding from grants.
Just because you have always done something a certain way, doesn’t mean it’s for the best. Look for new means to best communicate with and serve state legislators.

For public policy career, think states first.

Program Director (Former Employee)

I worked at National Conference of State Legislatures

ProsInterested in State policy? NCSL is an amazing place to make a genuine difference in policy at state and national level. WOrking with state legislatures around the country and colleagues at NCSL is an amazing privelege. Meet tomorrow's leaders--and todays.

ConsEntry level pay scales are lower than comparable but the career opportunities more than compensate. As a senior staffer, that means more turnover in junior staff than I'd prefer. Organiztionally somewhat flat so it is hard to advance. Howver, if one is entreprenurial and willing to find funding for one's own projects that is encouraged and then anything is possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for better ways to improve the career ladder and retain young talent/

waste of time

Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Conference of State Legislatures

Prosif you need to fill out a resume

Conslow pay, lack of community, interns treated poorly

Advice to Senior Management-

Worked for National Conference of State Legislatures? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Conference of State Legislatures reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for National Conference of State Legislatures CEO William Pound. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by National Conference of State Legislatures employees.